PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cap gets stuck?

aitakeru
08-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Hey everyone,
Not sure if this was a "known" issue, but this is the second time it's happened to me, and I was wondering if it's happened to anyone else either?
I turn the fuelcap to the left, and normally it just pops off, but it was literally spinning around and around and around and wouldn't come off.

So I kind of - out of frustration - accidentally ripped the cap off...
http://i58.tinypic.com/2epkkci.jpg

So now I'm like manually screwing and unscrewing what's left of the cap.
http://i58.tinypic.com/6sbfbc.jpg

Can I buy a new fuel cap at like CDN tire? Or do I have to go to a dealership?

TheMAN
08-17-2015, 10:58 PM
if you searched, you would've known this is a common issue and there was a service bulletin on it

morganc
08-17-2015, 11:28 PM
No TSB that I can see. Just buy a new cap (preferably OEM if the price is decent....or go to a wrecker) and lube the threads up with vaseline.

ottoyu34
08-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Affiliated dealerships could give you TM3 discount on parts.

ryan2.3
08-18-2015, 11:28 AM
Hulk smash

staax
08-18-2015, 11:37 AM
I would advise an OEM cap otherwise you may run into evap codes which will trigger your CEL.

I've bought a few aftermarket fuel caps and they never seem to seal correctly.

Flagrum_3
08-18-2015, 11:45 AM
if you searched, you would've known this is a common issue and there was a service bulletin on it

Jeez do you have to be so harsh all the time? A simple helpful answer would have sufficed.

aitakeru ...I'd suggest you go to a wreckers and grab a OEM cap, it'll save you some cash. But if money is no matter, brand new is best.

Note: I think this may occur when some overturn the cap when putting it back on. A few clicks is sufficient. I'm not saying you may have done this, but just a possible cause. I've seen some people turn their friggen caps like their winding up a clock lol.

Johns 08 3 GT
08-18-2015, 11:45 AM
I would advise an OEM cap otherwise you may run into evap codes which will trigger your CEL.

I've bought a few aftermarket fuel caps and they never seem to seal correctly.

This. When I did E-testing at crappy tire years ago the brand new ones they sold on the shelf would not pass the test sometimes.

BNYF-42-250 is the part number for the new one. Its $59. Not cheap, but its not worth the hassle dealing with the cheap aftermarket ones.

aitakeru
08-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Jeez do you have to be so harsh all the time? A simple helpful answer would have sufficed.

aitakeru ...I'd suggest you go to a wreckers and grab a OEM cap, it'll save you some cash. But if money is no matter, brand new is best.

Note: I think this may occur when some overturn the cap when putting it back on. A few clicks is sufficient. I'm not saying you may have done this, but just a possible cause. I've seen some people turn their friggen caps like their winding up a clock lol.

I don't usually turn it much. Maybe 3 clicks at most? But I bought it secondhand so maybe the previous owner. Either way, I'll probably go and get a brand new one... Next pay cheque, haha. Thanks!

aitakeru
08-18-2015, 04:49 PM
This. When I did E-testing at crappy tire years ago the brand new ones they sold on the shelf would not pass the test sometimes.

BNYF-42-250 is the part number for the new one. Its $59. Not cheap, but its not worth the hassle dealing with the cheap aftermarket ones.

Thank you. I'm making sure to write this down. You're awesome.

FLIPDADY
08-18-2015, 06:35 PM
aitakeru one click is good.

The updated caps are suppose to have better materials.

p-o-g-i
08-21-2015, 06:53 AM
Affiliated dealerships could give you TM3 discount on parts.

Agreed. Check out the affiliated dealer section.
At least getting a price from any of them will give you a worst case scenario in terms of pricing.

JonsMazda
08-21-2015, 08:47 AM
Is that a rust spot?

401DIXIETONY
08-21-2015, 04:33 PM
aitakeru, we have the gas cap in stock and your cost will be $46.98 + taxes (20% discount applied). Aftermarket is an option but I had customers come back with an engine light on because they couldn't hold the pressure which triggers an engine light on your dashboard. Mazda has modified the gas cap and so far, I have no customers coming back with a broken cap. Please let me know and I can make sure to put one aside for you!

Thank you

Noisy Crow
08-21-2015, 08:38 PM
The gas cap is part of the emissions control system, so it might be covered for 8 years or around 120K km per the emissions warranty. Check your owners' manual for the warranty that applies to your car......

aitakeru
08-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Is that a rust spot?

It is :(

aitakeru, we have the gas cap in stock and your cost will be $46.98 + taxes (20% discount applied). Aftermarket is an option but I had customers come back with an engine light on because they couldn't hold the pressure which triggers an engine light on your dashboard. Mazda has modified the gas cap and so far, I have no customers coming back with a broken cap. Please let me know and I can make sure to put one aside for you!

Thank you

I ended up getting one the following day. But thank you anyways!