PDA

View Full Version : Int. / Ext. Cleaning

S.F.W.
10-29-2004, 07:19 PM
I know this thread was for Exterior Maintenance, but I did not find one for Interior Maintenance.
I am looking for suggestions. I have the GT with leather and I want to clean the leather, but also want to clean the plastic on the doors, and other areas.
Any suggested products?

bluntman
10-29-2004, 07:44 PM
Hmm, stuck between a rock and a hard place, it\'s a maintenance question, but it\'s for the interior. I don\'t know, maybe Xenon knows of a better place.

I simply use the Armor-All Cleaning Wipes, the ones in the purple container, for the plastic areas and Meguiars Gold Class leather cleaner/conditioner for the leather. I like the wipes because it\'s convenient, there\'s no chance of overspray and they leave a matte finish. The Meguiars is pretty good although I really didn\'t have to buy it because I remembered that the dealer gave me a bottle of cleaner/conditioner when I picked up my car. I bought both products at Canadian Tire.

majic
10-29-2004, 08:03 PM
i was wondering about that too (the product).. anyone else?

maybe you can just rename the forum name to \'maintenance\' and maybe have a locked sticky with interior cleaning products.. and exterior cleaning products and other things like rain-x or what not..

maybe have a top 3 or something of each product.. and see what comes out of it?

would be conveniet for the n00bs and a quick reference for ones who want to check out other products..

ie.

int. - dash
int. - leather
int. - carpets
int/ext - windows
ext. - body (wax)
ext. - rims
ext. - wheels (is there a 2in1 wheels and rims?)

i dunno..

bluntman
10-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by majic

i was wondering about that too (the product).. anyone else?

maybe you can just rename the forum name to \'maintenance\' and maybe have a locked sticky with interior cleaning products.. and exterior cleaning products and other things like rain-x or what not..

maybe have a top 3 or something of each product.. and see what comes out of it?

would be conveniet for the n00bs and a quick reference for ones who want to check out other products..

ie.

int. - dash
int. - leather
int. - carpets
int/ext - windows
ext. - body (wax)
ext. - rims
ext. - wheels (is there a 2in1 wheels and rims?)

i dunno..

Unfortunately, only TM3 has the power to rename forum sections. But there\'s no better place than the present to start...

Interior dash/plastics - Armor-All Cleaning Wipes
Interior leather - Mequiar\'s Gold Class Rich Leather cleaner/conditioner
Interior carpets - Simple Green
Interior windows - water with a bit of soap (due to tint)
Exterior windows - Bon Ami or Zep Foaming Glass Cleaner, Rain X
Exterior body - pure Carnuba wax (Zymol or Mothers), Mothers Showtime for quick wax
Exterior rims - Simple Green or P21S
Exterior tires - Meguiars Endurance

S.F.W.
10-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Canadian Tire Shopping Trip....
I went to crappy tire...so much selection, so little knowledge.
I ended up picking up Merguiar\'s Hot Shine Tire Spray - I have head good things about this spray, and it says it will last for weeks.
For the interior I picked up Meguiar\'s Gold Class All Purpose Clearner Wipes - everybody raves about Meguiar\'s products, and this seemed to fit the bill to clean my trim, dash, etc..
Cloths - Generic 4 pack of polishing cloths, has a microfibre, a fleece, and 2 others. Also picked upMicroTex microfibre cleaning towels...I don\'t know why peace of mind, variety..lack of sleep...
Going to clean up the interior tomorrow morning before the meet.

bluntman
10-29-2004, 09:08 PM
I\'ll \"Sticky\" this as soon as more people (hopefully) respond. Let us know if the Mequiar\'s Wipes leave a matte or gloss finish (I hate the gloos finish on the dash).

swales
10-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Interior dash/plastics - 303 Aerospace cleaner - It\'s the best cleaner available
Interior leather - Don\'t have leather
Interior carpets - Simple Green
Interior windows - Eagle 20/20 (can use with tint)
Exterior windows - Eagle 20/20 and Aquapel (is like Rain-x but lasts 6-8 months and works 10 times better)
Exterior body - Meguiars NXT, Meguiars #20, #16, Klasse Twins, P21S and others(it really depends on my mood, I try all different combinations)
Exterior rims - I find just washing them with NXT car wash gets everything off and keeps them shining
Exterior tires - Meguiars Hot Shine tire spray (lasts weeks, even during rain)
Tools - I use a Porter Cable orbital polisher, and all my towels are high quality micro fibre
and micro fibre waffle weave (for drying). I buy all my towels from online retailers, they\'re way better quality then the ones available at places like Cdn Tire, Walmart etc.

firstmazda
10-30-2004, 02:02 AM
A great cheap product I use for quick dash and other plastic touch ups are SWIFFER wipes!!

I dosen\'t leave residue or anything, keeps a nice matt finish, and REALLY does a great job at picking up all the little pieces of dust everywhere (believe me, i know, i\'m a smoker :p )

Ray

bluntman
10-30-2004, 10:52 AM
\"Stuck\"

Title changed as well

Next summer do yourselves a favour if you wax your want to car(s) yourself any buy an electric buffer/polisher with as large a pad as you can get.

S.F.W.
10-30-2004, 10:56 AM
I have effected change...and yet such a new member...yay me! LOL

majic
10-30-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by S.F.W.

I have effected change...and yet such a new member...yay me! LOL

BAAD BAAAD!!! :p are you trying to change us???? :D

bluntman
11-21-2004, 08:26 PM
What do you guys use to remove odours from the interior of your car? Let me just say that it wasn\'t me...it smells like sausage. I went into a Canadian Tire and I think the smell clung onto me from inside the store and followed me into my car...where it has taken up residence.

majic
11-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by bluntman
sausage

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

on a serious note.. how about some febreeze and maybe some air freshener?

wtom
11-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Did someone say air freshener?

Attend the 7th and final meet of Year 2004 for Toronto Mazda3 and enter the raffle! LOL

Krakilin
10-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Exterior
Body: Nu Finish, wax-on, wipe-off product, easy to use, only have to do it twice a year.
Windows: Eagle 20/20
Rims/Tires: Pressure washer.

Interior
Trims:
1) Swifer Whipes, those static sheets good for picking up dust
2) Mother Protectant, makes your interior shiney and it smells good too (there\'s alot of products you can use, make sure they offer UV protection)
Windows: Eagle 20/20
Seats: Nothing

Hanif
11-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Wow! I guess I have to make a trip to Canadian Tire this weekend. I haven\'t done any heavy cleaning yet other than getting a car wash. I try to keep the car as clean as possible. Anyway, I want to really clean my rims before the snow starts and am planning on doing it sometime this weekend.

Thanks guys for all the input on the various products!

Hanif
11-09-2005, 01:53 PM
On another note, when I got my car in Jan. I had put plastic on all 3 sides of the feet area on both the driver and passenger sides. I stuck this with regular double-sided tape.

At the time, it seemed like a good idea as my goal was to decrease the amount of dirt in the foot area. Well, stupid me didn\'t take into account what the hot summer months would do to the tape\'s adhesiveness :(

Slowly, some pieces came off (i.e. melted off) by themselves and now I\'m left with the adhesive residue on my car\'s interior.

If ANYONE can suggest a product I could use to remove that residue without damaging the surfaces, I would be eternally grateful :p

AXCL
11-29-2005, 04:59 PM
GooBGone works great at removing tape residue, but I\'ve never tried it on carpet. Its citrus based so I\'d think it would be ok but I\'d read the label first. You can get it at Crappy Tire.

Hanif
11-30-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by AXCL

GooBGone works great at removing tape residue, but I\'ve never tried it on carpet. Its citrus based so I\'d think it would be ok but I\'d read the label first. You can get it at Crappy Tire.

Thanks. I didn\'t tape anything to the carpet, just on the \'walls\'. As for the carpet I bought bright red towels (to match the interior lighting) and laid those out from end to end before putting in the car mats. :D

When I get a chance, I\'ll give that product a try.

fourtrack78
02-01-2006, 12:46 PM
what about washing by hand. Does anybody do it? And what kind of sponge that is good for the paint and clear coat?

Cardinal Fang
02-01-2006, 01:27 PM
I use that fancy hand sponge that came with my \"parting gift bucket\" from Avante Mazda. It\'s fuzzy and looks like a winter mitt. Lets me get in all the corners and is soft on the finish.

http://www.uploadyourimages.com/img/9716160397025_100_cc_20e69.jpg

phidubble0
06-11-2006, 10:53 AM
A great cheap product I use for quick dash and other plastic touch ups are SWIFFER wipes!!

I dosen\'t leave residue or anything, keeps a nice matt finish, and REALLY does a great job at picking up all the little pieces of dust everywhere (believe me, i know, i\'m a smoker :p )

Ray

I use the mini-swiffer duster as well for my interior dash. No spraying of any products, and it picks up EVERYTHING! Also great for dash board and stereo ctrls as i\'m not spraying any liquids into the electronics.

Crapyy Tire sells a Auto-Swiffer Duster for ~6.99 + tx, but if you go to the kitchen or home section in the same store, you\'ll find the EXACT same product for 4.99 or 5.99 only it doesn\'t say Car Care on the box. I\'ve compared the contents of each.....same sh*t.

Xenon
06-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by fourtrack78

what about washing by hand. Does anybody do it? And what kind of sponge that is good for the paint and clear coat?

I try to wash by hand as often as possible.

The songe i use can be found at Canadian Tire. I can\'t recall the manufacturer, but it has green microfibre on one side, and a mesh bug sponge on the other.

I use the microfibre side on every part of the car, with the exception of: the front bumper (plastic part), the wheel wells, the door stills and the windows. On these sections I use the bug sponge portion of it, simply because there is usually too much baked-on crap accumulated in these areas to get off with the microfibre. Also, if I use the microfibre, particles may get stuck and scratch other areas of the car when I use the sponge. The bug sponge side is easier to clean and get junk out of than the microfibre side. The microfibre on the sponge is super soft.

If you still aren\'t a fan of using the bug sponge on the plastic painted parts, then i highly recommend a wet Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

gizmo
06-21-2006, 06:18 PM
For exterior, I use Glare Autopolish for everything from body paint to chrome rims to air intake pipe and exhaust tip. Very easy to wipe on and off. It can withstand temperatures from -140 Celsius to 340 Celsius.

Xenon
06-23-2006, 10:44 PM
I deleted my old post and decided to re-type a more up to date one. I\'ve also included the steps I take to get my car looking it\'s BEST (Includes Meguires 3-Step), using all the products listed below.

Interior dash/plastics - Wipe down with soft cloth and warm water, then Meguires Protectant Wipes.
Interior leather - Don\'t have leather
Interior carpets - Vaccum, Pressure Spray mats when winter is over
Interior windows - Eagle One 20/20
Exterior windows - Eagle One 20/20
Exterior body - Meguiars NXT Liquid Wax, or Eagle One Nano Wax (I alternate), Meguires step 2 of 3 3-Step Polish
Exterior rims - Meguires Hot Rim Cleaner (Purple Bottle). Pressure Wash it if it\'s bad.
Exterior tires - Meguiars Endurance Tire Dressing
Tools - Black Magic Bucket with grit trap bottom, Simoniz 2-in-1 Microfibre/Bug Sponge. Simoniz Pressure washer. Simoniz Tire brush. Black Magic Spoke Brush, Moose River Synthetic Chamios for drying. Clean old bath towels for drying. Wax Applicator and Microfibre cloths for waxing.
Other - Meguiar\'s Clay bar, Quick Detailer, Mr Clean Magic Eraser (excellent on brake dust!)

I do the Interior first...

INTERIOR (Approx. 2 Hours)
1) Remove all garbage from the car. During this time I also remove the floormats and my trunk mat.
2) Remove the cup holders by opening the centre console to its second layer and lift the cup holders out. Now you can wash all the sticky spills in your kitchen sink. Don\'t forget to dry it completely! To ensure that it\'s dry, don\'t install them back, keep them aside to air dry for later.
3) Vaccum all carpets, mats and seats (if you have cloth seats).
4) Clean all the interior windows with an automotive glass cleaner. DON\'T USE WINDEX or any other cleaner that contains ammonia. It will eat away at the dash and create stains.
5) Wipe down all the leather and plastic in the dash with a cloth that is damp with water. This should also get any overspray left from the window cleaners.
6) Apply any plastic/leather protectants.
7) Power wash any plastic mats you may have and let them air dry.
8) Spray any Fabreeze or ScotchGuard on all the materials EXCEPT for the drivers area (this includes the drivers seat and his footwell area).
9) Close all windows and doors.

EXTERIOR (Approx. 4.5 Hours)
10) Soak the car with just a regular hose (try to stay away from nozzles, I\'ll explain later)
11) If you have a second bucket, fill it with a small bit of water and some soap.
12) Spray some Hot Rims (purple bottle) on to all the rims, beginning with the rear ones.
13) Use a high pressure stream of water to wash off the spray and the brake dust, beginning with the front ones (this allows the back rims to be more penetrated with the Hot Rims cleaner),
14) Soak the car again with the hose
15) Dump the water out of your bucket and refill it with fresh soap and water.
16) Soap the car, top to bottom, panel by panel, shaded side to sunny side. Rinse the ENTIRE car in between each panel.
17) When finished, soak the car with just the running water straight from the hose. DO NOT use a nozzle. This allows the water to sheet and fall off the car as a sheet, leaving less water on the car to dry. Nozzles tend to \"mist\" everything up.
18) Meguires 3-Step: Step 1 - PREP THE PAINT - Use the Clay Bar and the QuikDetailer as lubricant, and clay bar the entire car.
19) When finished, cover the car with a QuikDetailer mist, and wipe down the entire car with a clean terry cloth. You should now notice you paint is smooth to the touch.
20) Meguires 3-Step: Step 2 - POLISH - Follow the instructions on the polish bottle. If you are in the shade, and your car is cool to the touch, you can do the entire car at once, instead of panel by panel.
21) Use a terry cloth and remove all the excess polish. You should now notice that your paint is more vibrant, and oxidation has been reduced or removed.
22) Meguires 3-Step: Step 3 - WAX - Wax your car as usual. You will notice after steps 1 and 2 of the 3-Step process, the wax glides on smoother and comes off easier.
23) After removing excess wax, you will notice your paint feels even smoother than after step 19, and also feels \"softer\" to the touch. At this point, a drop of water should effortlessly roll off of your hood.

FINISHING TOUCHES (Approx. 15 Min.):
24) USE YOUR DRIVERS SIDE to reinstall the car\'s cup holders.
25) Replace all mats.
26) Now apply all the Fabreeze and Scotchguard to the drivers area.
27) Apply any tire dressing you may need.

Yup, that\'s it. Your car will look and feel brand new. Obviously this is rather excessive to spend 6.75 hours cleaning your car. But if you are obcessive like me, you will do this whole process at least once a year.

ZeroChalk
06-24-2006, 03:12 AM
Here\'s what I use.

Exterior
--------------
Soap: Meguires Deep Crystal (have probably a 2 year\'s supply thanks to CT 1/2 sale)
Window: Stoner invisible glass
Klass (AIO / SG)
Poorboy PS1
Claybar

Tires / Rims
--------------
Meguires Hot Rim Cleaner
* To be honest haven\'t quite look into it as much though I have that Michelin 3 pack.

Interior
--------------

Water to Woolite Ratio (6:1)
Lexol leather Conditoner
303 Aerospace
Swiffer

Cleaning Utensils
----------------
2 buckets
3-4 Soft 100% Wool sheepmits
Soft microfibers cloths (waxing, polishing)
Big Blue 2 (or something like that) - microfiber waffle weave (small one for windows)
Recently added squeegee (have yet to use it but looked kinda cool)

--------------------

Handwashed once a week. Takes about 15 min to wash, 1/2 hour to dry. Waxing requires a double wash before preceding. Interior is ocassionally cleaned when g/f / people complain it\'s kinda getting dusty.

--------------------

Layer SG is a different story...

3GFX
06-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Armorall is the best for all around interior cleaning. It covers all the basics from plastic to rubber to leather. It gives a good shine and protects well, I\'ve been using it on all our family cars for years now. As for inbetween whipings I use pledge grabit mits which are like swiffer rags, for grabbing dust. Do it often enough and your car will always shine and always be protected :D

bubba1983
06-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by 3GFX

Armorall is the best for all around interior cleaning
maybe so...but most AA is oil based, leavin a nasty residue...ew

3GFX
06-29-2006, 08:56 AM
when you say residue you mean glossy shine right? :p

Skarbro
06-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Zaino!:p

wantboost
08-05-2008, 09:07 AM
why not the drivers area? --->Spray any Fabreeze or ScotchGuard on all the materials EXCEPT for the drivers area (this includes the drivers seat and his footwell area).

Mafty
08-05-2008, 09:39 AM
FINISHING TOUCHES (Approx. 15 Min.):
24) USE YOUR DRIVERS SIDE to reinstall the car\'s cup holders.
25) Replace all mats.
26) Now apply all the Fabreeze and Scotchguard to the drivers area.
27) Apply any tire dressing you may need.

read the whole thing and youll see why

Go_Habs_Go
09-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Great write-up by Xenon on post #25, it has all the info I was looking for...except for 1 thing. If you have some grease stains on your dash that you want to remove, what is the best way to clean that?

Just using warm water won't cut it so what will? Can I use the 303 cleaner on it directly or something else first?

kaval
09-20-2008, 07:21 PM
303 Cleaner will work fine. You can also use a light mixture of soap & water but be sure to protect the area afterwards with something like 303 Protectant.

Go_Habs_Go
09-22-2008, 03:22 PM
thanks for the reply Kaval! :)

kaval
09-23-2008, 07:49 AM
thanks for the reply Kaval! :)

No problemo! :bana