PDA

View Full Version : Put my winter tires on already

idreamofmazda
10-30-2004, 08:05 PM
Got my winter tires today, and I decided to mount them on the car already. I got the Pirelli Winter Carvings, with 15” steel wheels from Tire Depot. There were some individuals in this group, who where weren’t interested in Tires23.com, as they wanted them installed on the car. I give my recommendations to Tire Depot in Ajax, for those who live in the area, and don’t want to go to Mississauga.

I purchased the wheels and tires balanced, but not installed, as I figured it were just a bit too early for winter, and would mount them myself. I looked at the centerbore of the wheel, and it looked huge; it was machined out, and I was concerned that it was too big, so I decided to mount the wheels on the rear, and see how it fits and feels on the road. Yes it was clear the centerbore was much larger, but it the wheel-bolts appear to align the wheel to the center, so it looked okay. I took a drive, felt okay; the tires are louder for sure, but not that bad.

It had been raining today, and the roads were very greasy, and I was pushing my front wheels, to get a feel for how the car handles on wet pavement (I have noticed a few other people spinning their wheels today), and decided to go back home in try the winter tires on the front.

Got back on the highway after installing the fronts, and the car felt a bit shaky at first, a more noticeable road noise, for sure can tell that I was driving on winter tires, a bit more vibration, but nothing unexpected. I have used winter tires in previous cars, and have experienced more vibration at first, but I expect it to diminish after a few days, as the “fur” wears off. I did spin the front wheels on the wet pavement, but it’s too early to make an assessment, until the tires smoothen out.

The winter tires felt heavier than the factories, and for those who have alloy wheels, will notice a big difference, if they go the route of dedicated winter tires and wheels.

Looking at the factory Toyo tires, and the winter Pirelli’s, for sure there will be a huge difference in winter driving, and I am concerned for those who plan on riding the factory tires this winter. I can’t stress enough how important it is to have winter tires; all seasons just aren’t good enough for winter in my opinion.

Dr Butcher
10-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Nice, I put my 15\" tires in the buy and sell and I\'ve had 4 calls since Friday. I need to get my winters on ASAP because people want to come see them and I don\'t want them to see the tires still mounted on my stock rims.

I\'ll try to get mine put on Monday. Kumho KW17 here I come!

M34ME
11-01-2004, 08:58 PM
I\'m looking for good winter tires. Last year on my Sentra I had the Nordic motormaster winter tires which where great, they gripped on snow very well. But this year since I have to get 16\'s and some steelies I\'m trying to keep the cost down & those kuhmo kw17 &kw19 prices are looking good. Has anyone had these tires before? I do alot of driving up north to the slopes in the winter plus alot of highway driving in the winter so I need a good tire. So can anyone give me some feedback on those kuhmo\'s? thanks, Steve.

majic
11-01-2004, 10:54 PM
there isn\'t much info from our members but read this thread (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=752) and you\'ll find some links from there.. also try a search within our board b/c we;ve rehashed different types of winter tires over and over..

also try searching here (http://www.canadiandriver.com/cgi-bin/discuss/search.pl) for the reviews ..

MZ3_GS
11-02-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by idreamofmazda
I purchased the wheels and tires balanced, but not installed, as I figured it were just a bit too early for winter, and would mount them myself. I looked at the centerbore of the wheel, and it looked huge; it was machined out, and I was concerned that it was too big, so I decided to mount the wheels on the rear, and see how it fits and feels on the road. Yes it was clear the centerbore was much larger, but it the wheel-bolts appear to align the wheel to the center, so it looked okay. I took a drive, felt okay; the tires are louder for sure, but not that bad.

Bad bad bad. Go get hubcentric rings for those wheels. You don\'t want the bore to be bigger than the hub.

majic
11-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by MZ3_GS

Bad bad bad. Go get hubcentric rings for those wheels. You don\'t want the bore to be bigger than the hub.

can you elaborate a bit?

hubcentric? what\'s the diff b/w that and what t23 is selling? how about e-spec?

MajesticBlueNTO
11-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by majic

Originally posted by MZ3_GS

can you elaborate a bit?

hubcentric? what\'s the diff b/w that and what t23 is selling? how about e-spec?

scroll down... (http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/accessories/tmpAccessoriesWheels.jsp)

Hub-centric rings ensure that the wheels are perfectly centered on the vehicle\'s hub. These rings do not offer any increase in safety, nor do they affect structural integrity, but they do assist in providing a vibration-free ride.

MZ3_GS
11-03-2004, 02:19 PM
I\'m sorry but I\'m thinking that is the biggest piece of crap ever. The hub is designed to carry weight. The studs aren\'t. Simple. If the bore of the wheel is bigger than the hub, the weight isn\'t distributed to the hub, but the wheel studs. Stress > Fatigue > Failure.

Perhaps the hubcentric part makes it missleading? and I am aware that you can center a wheel even it having a different size bore than the hub. But that isn\'t the important part.

FLIPDADY
11-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Just a question to all the people putting on snows. Why are you putting them on now? I know that the Blizzaks wear out faster when it\'s dry outside. So that\'s the main reason I\'m waiting till first snow fall.

majic
11-03-2004, 02:42 PM
some ppl are eager beavers :D some just don\'t have the luxury of having them put on where they work every day ;) and some bought H or V rated tires that are ok to drive in these conditions.. but yah.. i\'d wait till at least a -ve temps in the wee morning hrs..

MajesticBlueNTO
11-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Just a question to all the people putting on snows. Why are you putting them on now? I know that the Blizzaks wear out faster when it\'s dry outside. So that\'s the main reason I\'m waiting till first snow fall.

me personally, i put the kw17s on yesterday...reason being, there\'ll be a chance of frost each night this week and i have T1-S on the stock rims. don\'t want to run the risk of sliding about; i\'ve seen some S-03\'s in a light snow fall/frost situation and it wasn\'t pretty.

however, if i still had the all-seasons, i would\'ve waited until the weather forecast called for a some snow fall with accumulation :)

BUT, i must say that the KW17s ride, handle, and grip better in the wet than the RS-As

FLIPDADY
11-03-2004, 03:14 PM
I actually thought of bringing them home and putting them on myself.:p On second thought I\'ll just leave them here and have the shop do it:D

Yeah I did notice some slippage a couple of days ago when it was pouring out. Took a turn too fast and the car slid.

Dr Butcher
11-03-2004, 05:13 PM
I\'m in the same boat as Majestic. I got mine put on Monday because I\'m running a dedicated summer tire and I\'d rather have some extra winter tire wear than be caught in a snowfall with my summer tires. My winters are H rated, so, I think they\'ll be good to go for the extra couple of weeks. ;)

idreamofmazda
11-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Get it over with. I’m not doing much driving right now, just to work, and grocery shopping. My tires have a good tread-ware rating, so they should last. You never know what events occur in your life that can postpone your plans. Could get a bad cold, and not feel like putting on the snows. I have family up north, and should the unfortunate happen, where I have to go up north for a funeral or something, the weather is unpredictable north and south of Barrie.

FLIPDADY
11-10-2004, 05:21 PM
I heard there was a chance of freezing rain tonight. So I had the snows installed today.

majic
11-10-2004, 05:56 PM
i kinda came up with a theory the other day :p

if its cold enough for you to bust out your winter jacket (vs a fall one) then put yer snows on :)

then again it was pretty cold a few days back and today was pretty decent.. gotta work on a corrollary to my theorem :p

mazda3ride
11-11-2004, 07:41 AM
FLIPSPEED - Are you steelies hub-centric as they are from Toyota?