PDA

View Full Version : Satelite radio

FLIPDADY
11-02-2004, 01:51 PM
I just noticed last night that there is a button on my audio unit that says SAT. I thought only U.S. was able to subscribe to it. Apparently all 2005 models are equipped with it.

bluntman
11-02-2004, 02:15 PM
I know of a couple of people in other forums that subscribe to XM or Sirius radio. All you need is a credit card and the proper equipment and it\'s yours.

MajesticBlueNTO
11-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Ford has a contract with Sirius radio....which i would like to get since Stern is heading there in 2006 :)

if you know someone in the USA, you can use their mailing address for the subscription and they\'ll send you the co-ordinates and such to pick up the satellite feed.

FLIPDADY
11-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Why put the button in the car in the first place if we can\'t really use it.:sarc

fat mike
11-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Satalite radio is not currently available in Canada. I hope it will be in 14 months for when Howard Stern moves to Sirrus.!!

MajesticBlueNTO
11-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by fat mike

Satalite radio is not currently available in Canada. I hope it will be in 14 months for when Howard Stern moves to Sirrus.!!

let\'s hope so...if the CRTC ever wakes up and accepts satellite radio rather than trying to \"protect CanCon\" by keeping only FM/AM available to canadians.

you *can* get sirius and XM up here, but it entails having a friend in the USA to use as your mailing address for registration.

majic
11-02-2004, 10:49 PM
sorry .. call me old fashioned.. but why should i pay for radio? am/fm is free :D

so seriously, what are the benefits of XM radio? it\'s digital right, thus it\'s clearer.. but then if u\'r in the mountains or where there are tall buildings/trees u lose that no? what is the monthly charge (roughly)? is it commercial free? is CRTC having beef b/c there is supposed to be X% of canadian content? radio gods pls enlighten me..

bottom line.. is this like signing up for iTunes? but it\'s not really radio on demand.. how many channels/stations.. thanks!

Xenon
11-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Pictures? I\'ve never seen a SAT button :sarc

Melenium
11-03-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by majic

sorry .. call me old fashioned.. but why should i pay for radio? am/fm is free :D

so seriously, what are the benefits of XM radio? it\'s digital right, thus it\'s clearer.. but then if u\'r in the mountains or where there are tall buildings/trees u lose that no? what is the monthly charge (roughly)? is it commercial free? is CRTC having beef b/c there is supposed to be X% of canadian content? radio gods pls enlighten me..

bottom line.. is this like signing up for iTunes? but it\'s not really radio on demand.. how many channels/stations.. thanks!

Haven\'t ever really looked into it, but here\'s the sum of my knowledge that I\'ve come across.. it may be right, or it all may be lies and/or wrong. :D

1. It is digital. You get lots of stations or channels. Some are indeed commercial free. I think you also get song titles and other info. Think of it sort of like the DMX music that you get with a Rogers cable box. You can get very specific genre type of channels, so in a way its sort of like iTunes, but you don\'t get to pick exactly what songs you want.

2. As far as I know, a \"base\" in the city has a dish aimed at a satellite and grabs all the streams, then rebroadcasts it over the airwaves like a traditional radio. Think how tough it would be for a car to keep a lock on a satellite. I\'m not sure if this has changed recently though.

3. Not sure exactly why we don\'t get it up here, but my guess is that its probably to do with the CRTC and their cr*p. Same reason we can\'t subscribe to some of the decent satellite tv systems here.

Melenium
11-03-2004, 01:42 AM
Seems I was right about some things, wrong about others.. if you\'ve got 2 mins, read for yourself: Howstuffworks.com (http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/satellite-radio.htm) has a pretty good description of how the systems work.

I wonder which one is compatible with the Mazda3-- XM or Sirus.

As for paying for it, depending how much time you spend in the car, it can be worth it. I know personally if I spent more time in traffic I\'d definately subscribe. It would be so worth it for $10 to not hear another commercial or the same song repeated for the 5th time the same day :p

Melenium
11-03-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Xenon

Pictures? I\'ve never seen a SAT button :sarc

Wow.. I\'m becoming quite the post-whore on this one eh? Lol..

Xenon, check out the right side of page 7 of the 2005 brochure. You can see it online here (http://www.mazda.ca/files/2005_mazda3_eng.pdf) [thats the pdf].

Thats it for now from me.. honest :D

majic
11-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Melenium

Wow.. I\'m becoming quite the post-whore on this one eh? Lol..
Thats it for now from me.. honest :D

PLEASE SOMEONE STOP HIM!!! :p

j/k thx for the info!

mEtH
11-05-2004, 01:11 PM
its just like the Tape/MD button. I got people coming in my car saying you have an MD player? :sarc NO!

06Touring3
08-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Resurrected from the grave...

Does anyone know if the SAT button can be utilized by Sirius or XM instead of having something on the windshield?

Noisy Crow
08-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Resurrected from the grave...

Does anyone know if the SAT button can be utilized by Sirius or XM instead of having something on the windshield?

You can get the Mazda Sirius radio installed by a dealer, or you can buy it and install it yourself. It will use the Sat button and existing dashboard display.

mazdathree
08-13-2008, 11:47 AM
I think somebody in this form has done the install. You can use the SAT button only with the OEM satellite radio units by sirius. The later models (2008.5) have this factory installed i think

x_o_k_x
08-13-2008, 12:16 PM
I think you can get Sat radio module elsewhere for mazda, just like ipod adapter and plug it in behind the HU

Noisy Crow
08-13-2008, 12:18 PM
I think you can get Sat radio module elsewhere for mazda, just like ipod adapter and plug it in behind the HU

Yup. It will be activated by either CD button or or the Aux(Media) button. But it won't use the HU to control or display channel and programming info.

mazdathree
08-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Yup. It will be activated by either CD button or or the Aux(Media) button. But it won't use the HU to control or display channel and programming info.

more like an after market? I would prefer to use all the controls of the HU. but the OEM ones are quite expensive approx. USD 300. I chose the after market one with an FM transmitter instead to save money. Works fine!

Mafty
08-13-2008, 12:32 PM

really? from where? links, prices, more info. Sat radio would be one of the best things my car could get, i cant stand normal radio. not to mention id like ot utilkize my 08 SAT button

Noisy Crow
08-13-2008, 12:40 PM
really? from where? links, prices, more info. Sat radio would be one of the best things my car could get, i cant stand normal radio. not to mention id like ot utilkize my 08 SAT button

Only the Mazda OEM Siruis satellite can use the HU's SAT button. (Possibly with a bit research we can find out who manufactured the unit and either buy it elsewhere or figure out a compabile unit. But I haven't seen any info that anywhere). So if you go with a non-OEM solution you will need a separate display, and if you want to connect it to your car audio it will plug in to the HU using an AuxMod or something similar.... audio feed only, no data or control.

Jeff-TheBiz
08-13-2008, 01:12 PM
The OEM one that comes with the Luxury Package on the 08.5s is about $400 IIRC..

Joe should be along anytume now.. :)

x_o_k_x
08-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Well here is one for the start..
http://mazdagear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=38

Mafty
08-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Well here is one for the start..
http://mazdagear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=38

nice! is that the OEM one that works with the HU controls? not a bad price either.

mazdathree
08-13-2008, 02:20 PM
The OEM one that comes with the Luxury Package on the 08.5s is about $400 IIRC..

Joe should be along anytume now.. :)

Oouch! more expensive. Is that inclusive of installation?

mazdathree
08-13-2008, 02:22 PM
nice! is that the OEM one that works with the HU controls? not a bad price either.

yes thats the OEM one that works with the HU controls. $264 is reasonable. But when you add taxes, shipping and possible duties (since its in the US) it will be $300+

x_o_k_x
08-13-2008, 02:24 PM

i believe so

Mafty
08-13-2008, 02:58 PM
how much right from mazda? any dealership guys on here?

mazdathree
08-13-2008, 03:08 PM
how much right from mazda? any dealership guys on here?

post #22 from TheBiz (Mazda of Toronto)

If you are really interested than ask him if he can give you any discounts

x_o_k_x
08-13-2008, 03:28 PM
yes thats the OEM one that works with the HU controls. $264 is reasonable. But when you add taxes, shipping and possible duties (since its in the US) it will be $300+

well someone could probabaly do a group buy if we get more people.. 300 is still not bad comparing to 400+

06Touring3
08-13-2008, 03:35 PM
so i want to clear something up....

if you get the OEM from Mazda, the display will show channel/song info on it? and it won't if you get aftermarket?

mazdathree
08-13-2008, 04:01 PM

if you get the OEM from Mazda, the display will show channel/song info on it? and it won't if you get aftermarket?

Thats correct

mazdathree
08-13-2008, 04:01 PM
well someone could probabaly do a group buy if we get more people.. 300 is still not bad comparing to 400+

Not a bad idea!

Noisy Crow
08-13-2008, 04:05 PM

Exactly.

06Touring3
08-13-2008, 04:07 PM
awesome i DEFINETLY want one now

i HAAAAAATE seeing GPS and Sat Radio units on the windshield...it's not clean IMO

mazdathree
08-13-2008, 04:12 PM
awesome i DEFINETLY want one now

i HAAAAAATE seeing GPS and Sat Radio units on the windshield...it's not clean IMO

+1 on this but just not the cheaper route. Its definitely worth having the OEM unit if you are willing to spend.

06Touring3
08-13-2008, 04:21 PM
normally i would like to get everything "on the discount"...but in a case like this i am willing to shell out the extra $ for the sake of keeping it clean

John English
09-15-2008, 07:41 PM
It's not as expensive as you would think. It cost me $580 at Mazda of Toronto and that's parts and labour.

John English
09-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Sorry, to be clear that's for the OEM satellite radio kit. Installation took about 2 hours.

mazdathree
09-15-2008, 09:43 PM
It's not as expensive as you would think. It cost me $580 at Mazda of Toronto and that's parts and labour.

$580 is very steep IMO. I'd rather buy the OEM unit and do the install myself. Its not that hard to install it.

John English
09-15-2008, 11:28 PM
$580 is very steep IMO. I'd rather buy the OEM unit and do the install myself. Its not that hard to install it.Eh, considering the kit was about $350, $230 for two hours of labour is fair to me. I'd much rather have the dealer do it then mess around with these things myself.

whiteomega
09-16-2008, 01:27 PM
last time i checked (which was before the unit was availablabe in canada) it was about 399 for the unit itself from a supplier on ebay; plus probably 30-45 minutes labour is already around $500 bucks. a little bit more to have some peace of mind (or at least ,peace of warranty, so to speak) is i think worth it.

mazdathree
09-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Im wondering if the OEM sat radio units offered by canadian dealers for 2009 models compatible for the 2006 models? Are there different part numbers for different years?

John English
09-21-2008, 11:34 PM
last time i checked (which was before the unit was availablabe in canada) it was about 399 for the unit itself from a supplier on ebay; plus probably 30-45 minutes labour is already around $500 bucks. a little bit more to have some peace of mind (or at least ,peace of warranty, so to speak) is i think worth it.The $580 price was buying it Mazda of Toronto and getting it installed there. There were working for the full two hours on it.

John English
09-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Im wondering if the OEM sat radio units offered by canadian dealers for 2009 models compatible for the 2006 models? Are there different part numbers for different years?I *think* it is only on 2008.5 models and higher. You need the SAT button on the hed unit inorder to get the OEM setup to work. You could always buy a HU from a US model as they've had satellite down there for a few years; check eBay.

mazdathree
09-21-2008, 11:41 PM
I *think* it is only on 2008.5 models and higher. You need the SAT button on the hed unit inorder to get the OEM setup to work. You could always buy a HU from a US model as they've had satellite down there for a few years; check eBay.

Yes I checked with Joe at MoT and he said the same...I have no choice but to get my sirius unit from the US....I have an 06 so the sat button is already there.

John English
09-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Yes I checked with Joe at MoT and he said the same...I have no choice but to get my sirius unit from the US....I have an 06 so the sat button is already there.Ah so the Canadian sat unit will not with earlier versions. Interesting, I didn't know that.