PDA

View Full Version : Auto wipers gone CrAZy!!

firstmazda
11-05-2004, 12:41 AM
I wonder if this has happened to any others too?

I usually leave my wipers on auto, and if there is a light mist or drizzle out,
or road spray, my wipers will be fine for a while, then they go absolutely
BALLISTIC!! I mean, they go even faster than \'high\' mode.

I\'ll shut it off, go back to auto, and after a few minutes the same thing
will happen. I\'ve even tried decreasing the sensitivity in auto mode.

I\'m sure the mist or road spray sets it off, but to go crazy like that?
It happens when there aren\'t even cars around me.

Ray

miggiddy
11-05-2004, 07:50 AM
I think it has happen to me one or twice, but don\'t recall what happened after I turned it off or switched it to low and back to auto. As cool and handy the auto wipers are I still wish they had a regular intermittent mode.

civiclad
11-05-2004, 10:57 AM
This has happened to me once about 3 months ago.

Dr Butcher
11-05-2004, 01:18 PM
I have the opposite happen. If it\'s a slight drizzle and not full fledged rain my wipers don\'t seem to wipe enough. I had them on auto yesterday and had to switch them to slow because they\'d wipe pretty well for about 20 seconds than then go to intermittent. Meanwhile my window would be totally misted over....

Crazy....

AfterBurner
11-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Number one thing is that auto wipers are not perfect. Number two is the rain sensor is very small in comparison to the windshield. The sensor uses reflected infrared light to measure the amount of moisture on the windshield. Splatter from other vehicles wheels tends to fall lower on the windshield and so the wipers seem not to be doing a goodjob. On the other hand if its misty or spraying then there are more droplets for a given area than if it was raining lightly which could result in the wipers moving faster than needed.

Also if the rain sensor patch (it\'s actually much smaller than the patch) is oily or dirty that could affect the sensor.

The best sensor is our own eyes as we can actually see the amount of water.

billyfo
11-05-2004, 05:49 PM
me too, it goes crazy even the rain not too heavy. for me, turn off the auto and reengage it, it will back to normal.

ng3
11-25-2004, 10:24 AM
Also has anyone found that the sensitivity thing doesn\'t do much no matter on what setting it is... I find that even on low sens. if i\'m behind a truck it still goes on high...

chaser
11-25-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by ng3
Also has anyone found that the sensitivity thing doesn\'t do much no matter on what setting it is...

+1

i don\'t like the auto wiper as it doesn\'t work better than an intermittent one :(
i also found that the sensor is more sensitive at daytime than at night ..:sarc

AfterBurner
11-26-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by ng3

Also has anyone found that the sensitivity thing doesn\'t do much no matter on what setting it is... I find that even on low sens. if i\'m behind a truck it still goes on high...

How do you adjust the sensitivity?

Melenium
11-26-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by AfterBurner

How do you adjust the sensitivity?

Turn the ring on the wiper arm. Turning it to the top makes it less sensitive, turning it down makes it more sensitive.

Xenon
11-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by ng3

I also find the sensitivity doesn\'t do anything, but I find my auto wipers work fine, no matter where the sensitivity dial is. So I don\'t have much to complain about.

majic
11-27-2004, 11:46 PM
so far.. after one day of rain driving the wipers were SUPERB.. it\'s such a nice touch for MT drivers.. no more fiddling.. i guess how they work in heavier rain but i had no complaints today morning!

Newlook
11-28-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Xenon

Originally posted by ng3

I also find the sensitivity doesn\'t do anything, but I find my auto wipers work fine, no matter where the sensitivity dial is. So I don\'t have much to complain about.

It works at night. I guess because it\'s dark so the sensor is less sensitive. When it rains, I have my wiper sensitivity set to \"lowest\" for day driving, but have to adjust it to a higher level at night.

ng3
11-29-2004, 04:02 PM
good idea... will try to see if it works...

Xenon
11-30-2004, 01:05 AM
I still have absolutely NO complaints about the Auto-Wiper system. Day or night.