PDA

View Full Version : Audio question from a total car audio n00b....

Dr Butcher
11-06-2004, 08:48 PM
Alright, in my last car the only mod I ever did to it was installing a Blaupunkt CD player, other than that it was toally stock for 8 years. I\'m now interested in what my options are for upgrading my speakers, adding an amp, subwoofer etc but I really know nothing about it. I want to keep the head unit for now because of the sttering wheel controls and such so that\'s as far as I\'ve gotten in my planning. I have learned some catch phrases from browsing through some threads here but I am pretty much still lost. I\'m going to ask a ton of questions and I\'ll let you guys sort out my feeble brain.

1. What is a PIE adaptor and what does it do?

2. What is this Icelink people are talking about?

3. Do all trim models have the same size speakers front and back? If so what size are they? What will fit best without having to put in adaptors and such.

4. What\'s the best option amp wise for running a complete system?

5. Would a subwoofer in the trunk be ok sound wise?

6. Component speakers, what\'s the deal?

7. Coaxial speakers, what\'s the deal?

Umm, that\'s all I can think of at the right now. I\'m sure I\'ll have more but at the moment I\'m spent.... :D

majic
11-06-2004, 09:15 PM
I am no audi whizzz but from what i see/hear here are some answers..

Originally posted by Dr Butcher
1. What is a PIE adaptor and what does it do?

hooks up to the back of the head unit (HU) and \'provides\' aux input.. so that you can redirect your iPod for example to your car system by just connecting a 1/8 jack into where teh headphones would go.

2. What is this Icelink people are talking about?

i believe it\'s an \'advanced PIE\' in teh sense that you will have access to the wheel controls to seek through the songs on an ipod.

3. Do all trim models have the same size speakers front and back? If so what size are they? What will fit best without having to put in adaptors and such.

yes for the 4 speakers.. but the GTs get 2 extra tweeters that are where your side mirrors are. the sizes are 5x7 but you can upsize to 6x9 w/o MAJOR mods.. sometimes with a small adapter/bracket

4. What\'s the best option amp wise for running a complete system?

dunno.. sorry :(

5. Would a subwoofer in the trunk be ok sound wise?

yes.. subs produce lows that are NOT directional.. meaning they\'ll sound great no matter where they are facing.. and most ppl do put the subs in the trunk..

6. Component speakers, what\'s the deal?

Component speakers means there\'s the main speaker and in the middle or off to the side or raised, there is the tweater. this is better b/c 2 speaker cones can reproduce a higher range of tones ..

7. Coaxial speakers, what\'s the deal?

dunno.. sorry :(

bluntman
11-06-2004, 09:26 PM
4) IMO a 4 channel amp for the main speakers and a mono amp for the sub

7) similar to component speakers but tweeters and midbass are all in one \"chassis\" (I use coaxials for rear fill).

miggiddy
11-07-2004, 01:53 AM
Good questions Dr. Thanks majic and bluntman.

One question regarding the PIE (the $20 cable that splits into 2 RCAs). Is that all you would need to connect your mp3 player to the HU?

Thanks

bubba1983
11-07-2004, 05:29 AM

Actually, for the size of the speakers in the door are 6X8 exact match!! u can make adaptors to fit 6..g components...but easiest drop in replacement is 6X8....i did a simply drop in replacement of teh door speakers myself...

bluntman
11-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by miggiddy

Good questions Dr. Thanks majic and bluntman.

One question regarding the PIE (the $20 cable that splits into 2 RCAs). Is that all you would need to connect your mp3 player to the HU?

Thanks

Actually, you\'ll need another cable that a pair of male RCAs on one end and a male 1/8\" stereo mini jack on the other. Instead of buying two cables, the one I just mentioned and the M-Bus/female RCA cable, I bought the KCM-123B (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=608) that goes directly from an M-Bus connector to a 1/8\" stereo mini jack. After that, depending on your MP3 player, that should be all you need, connect the mini jack into the headphone connector on your MP3 player and you\'re good to go!

Dr Butcher
11-07-2004, 11:16 AM
So Bluntman, how do you tell the head unit that it\'s attached to an MP3 player? I\'ve just got the base CD player head unit will that still work?

bluntman
11-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Press the CD button twice and you\'ll see \"EX 1\" show up on the LCD. The only annoyance with this is that the \"1\" will flash repeatedly. I have the CD/MP3 unit and it works just fine.

miggiddy
11-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks B

Dr Butcher
11-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

Press the CD button twice and you\'ll see \"EX 1\" show up on the LCD. The only annoyance with this is that the \"1\" will flash repeatedly. I have the CD/MP3 unit and it works just fine.

Arrgh, just as I thought. I\'m assuming the GX, GS base radio doesn\'t have this option. When I hit the CD button twice nothing changes. I don\'t get the EX 1 option with a cd in or with the player empty... :sarc

bluntman
11-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Is your PIE module installed? It will only work if there is something attached to the port on the back of the radio.

Dr Butcher
11-10-2004, 12:32 PM
D\'oh!

The n00b strikes again!

I had no clue that\'s the way it worked.... I was thinking you could select that option still stock....

Thanks for that info once again!

Now I feel really stupid for PMing Warren to see if he wanted to sell his radio. :sarc