PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2

bluntman
11-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Did anyone pick it up?

RedRaptor
11-16-2004, 01:59 PM
I have it preordered from EBGames back in December of 2003...:sarc

They gave me a call today saying they have my copy in stock. I\'ll pick it up tomorrow after work.

miggiddy
11-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Picking it up tonight....which also means I\'ll be upgrading the computer soon :D

Dr Butcher
11-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Daaamn, I think Ghost Recon 2 comes out this week so I\'ll probably be occupied with that. I still have to finish Halo 2 and get online with that some more. You really don\'t know how much you suck until you get online and play against human opponents.... :sarc

RedRaptor
11-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by miggiddy
I\'ll be upgrading the computer soon :D

I hope my P4 2.8C, 1GIG RAM and 9800PRO 128MB holds up for this game. Did any of you guys play TeamFortress? Its an add on that came with the Original Halflife. I loved that game. Does HL2 have TeamFortress2 included?

miggiddy
11-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

I\'ll be upgrading the computer soon :D

I hope my P4 2.8C, 1GIG RAM and 9800PRO 128MB holds up for this game. Did any of you guys play TeamFortress? Its an add on that came with the Original Halflife. I loved that game. Does HL2 have TeamFortress2 included?

No team fortress, far as I know. BUT....Counter-strike (http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?t=153010&page=3&pp=25) is suppose to ship with it. And once again I\'ll be addicted to online gaming (the gf will dump me for it). Last time it was Battlefield 1942/DesertCombat.

I think your 2.8 should be able to handle the game. I currently have a 1.6, 512ram, ati9700. I just plan on upping my CPU(3.2), mobo, and RAM(1gig if not more). that\'s it. I think the video card it good for it. I\'ll find out in a week or so.

RedRaptor
11-16-2004, 02:39 PM
I\'ll load her up after I pick it up tomorrow. Should be alright, I don\'t see myself upgrading. I have a 2.8C M0 stepping with a P4C800E-DLX that has the memory voltmod on it, so I could always OC it if I really have to. 9800PRO should be fine on medium details.

bluntman
11-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Dammit, CD#4 is FUBAR. I guess I\'ll have to wait until tomorrow night to play it. Had I tried to install this earlier in the evening INSTEAD OF POSTING ON THESE FRICKIN\' MAZDA3 BOARDS, I\'d be playing this game right now!!!!

profusion
11-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Baught it! time to play this bad boy!!:D

Airman Jack
11-17-2004, 09:17 AM
hey guys... I take it some of you know your shiznit about computers, I\'ve got an ASUS A7N8X with a 2400xp+ chip (2.0gb) and 512mb ram, and an old radeon 9000 128mb... where\'s the weak link? I think I can get an X800 card for a good price, would that card be compatible with my board? should I upgrade to 1gb ram as well? think the processor can handle it?

edit: by \"IT\" I mean half life 2 :D

bluntman
11-17-2004, 09:54 AM
Your motherboard will work with the x800. Your current video card is the weakest link in your system right now. If you are still not satisfied with its performance after the video card upgrade, install a new processor. Your board is compatible with a Sempron 3000+ ($155 at Canada Computers (http://www.canadacomputers.com/cpus.html)).

The cheapest I\'ve seen for an x800(SE) is around the $450 range (Canada Computers and Infonec). I hope the purchase of my BFG 6800 Ultra OC pays off with this game as it did with Doom3.

RedRaptor
11-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by bluntman

Your motherboard will work with the x800. Your current video card is the weakest link in your system right now. If you are still not satisfied with its performance after the video card upgrade, install a new processor. Your board is compatible with a Sempron 3000+ ($155 at Canada Computers (http://www.canadacomputers.com/cpus.html)).

+1 on the video card advice. I would also double up on RAM to give you a total of 1GB.

bluntman
11-17-2004, 12:48 PM
FYI, if anyone is still looking to buy HalfLife 2 it\'s selling for $49.99 at Staples.

bluntman
11-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Just installed my new copy...this game looks incredible! 1280x1024, 4x anti-aliasing, everything on high...I guess that was money well spent on my 6800 Ultra OC!

RedRaptor
11-19-2004, 09:57 AM

Just installed my new copy...this game looks incredible! 1280x1024, 4x anti-aliasing, everything on high...I guess that was money well spent on my 6800 Ultra OC!

:hoho

I picked up the game from EB Games Eaton Centre last night. Installed all 5 CDs of it, registered with Steam and then waited another 5 min for Steam to \"unlock\" my HL2 files. Honestly...Valve blows. It took 5 min to unpack/unlock even with my dual 36GB SATA WD Raptors in RAID 0, geez...on top of the 15 min it took to install all 5 CDs. After all that I was too tired to actually play the game, played 10min...the police/security guards give me the creeps with their terrorists gas masks.

1024x768, no AA for now on a 9800PRO 128MB running okay, I\'ll tweak it when I get home.

hellinar
11-20-2004, 01:53 AM
Got the game off steam, started at about 3:30 Tuesday morning after 30 mins of file unlocking and checking, finished the game in about 8 hrs total in normal. Game\'s shoter than the first :( But hell it was fun. Ending might disappoint.

majic
11-20-2004, 10:49 AM
umm 8 hrs??? wow.. what a waste 50 bux for 8hrs of fun..

and really? how did u do it in 8 hrs.. i haven\'t played it yet - just downloaded it through steam (thankfully i had a free key/coupon) so lets hope it lasts a bit longer than 8 hrs..

fuey
11-22-2004, 07:42 PM
u guys play CS? we should play together on a server sometime.

miggiddy
11-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Putting together my new computer. p4 3.2, 200gig s-ata, 1gig ram, stuck with my 9700pro. So I\'m in for CS as soon as I get it all together :D

bluntman
11-23-2004, 03:13 PM

stuck with my 9700pro.

Ouch! At least you aren\'t stuck with DX7 hardware, there\'s an article at Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2281&p=9) showing a DX7 board running HL2.

miggiddy
11-23-2004, 04:21 PM

stuck with my 9700pro.

Ouch! At least you aren\'t stuck with DX7 hardware, there\'s an article at Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2281&p=9) showing a DX7 board running HL2.

As long as I can kill the bad guys and play CS it\'s all good. Unfortunately the money factor kicks in here. Can\'t afford to spend another 500 bucks on a video card. I\'d be a dead man, gf would kill me.

Anyone know a good diamond dealer?

majic
11-23-2004, 06:39 PM

stuck with my 9700pro.

untill the recent games such as NFSU and HL2 9700pro was the BEST THING after sliced bread.. seriously.. best investment i made a few xmas\' ago.. it was just a tad worse that the 9800pro and the SEs and XTs couldn\'t match it .. until the X800 now and geforce\'s 6800 i believe.. or whatever moster they\'ve created :D

i don\'t mind 40fps as long as i can play an dget highest quality.. which is starting to suffer in NFSU2.. but HL.. omg gfx are UNREAL!!!

fuey
11-23-2004, 08:18 PM

Putting together my new computer. p4 3.2, 200gig s-ata, 1gig ram, stuck with my 9700pro. So I\'m in for CS as soon as I get it all together :D

i usually play at nite around 11pm to 1am..so when u get ur comp. together..let me know and we can play CS.

miggiddy
11-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by fuey

i usually play at nite around 11pm to 1am..so when u get ur comp. together..let me know and we can play CS.

Fo sho:D

bluntman
12-06-2004, 02:04 PM
This is one of the few games that I can say that I have finished...without resorting to cheating. And it only crashed once.

miggiddy
12-06-2004, 02:31 PM

This is one of the few games that I can say that I have finished...without resorting to cheating. And it only crashed once.

So would you be interested in playing some Counter-strike?

HL2 hasn\'t crashed yet. CS:S has once so far. I\'m only at the MESA facility and just got the gravity gun.

bluntman
12-06-2004, 02:57 PM
I don\'t know. I remember playing Counter Strike once before and I never really go into it for some reason. I don\'t know what it was, I used to love playing Unreal Tournament and UT2k4 for hours on end, I guess it was the waiting for a mission to complete before you\'d respawn. I guess that\'s also why I don\'t like BF1942 and its variants.

Kill, kill, kill. :D

profusion
12-06-2004, 08:29 PM

I don\'t know. I remember playing Counter Strike once before and I never really go into it for some reason. I don\'t know what it was, I used to love playing Unreal Tournament and UT2k4 for hours on end, I guess it was the waiting for a mission to complete before you\'d respawn. I guess that\'s also why I don\'t like BF1942 and its variants.

Kill, kill, kill. :D

Yeah I love unreal too, and quake was great a long time ago. But after CS came on It seemed there was a bit more stratagy envolved and aiming. Plus the endless killing kinda got repetative. So CS won it for me its a great game and if you die your usually not waiting more then a 1 min. It actually motivates you to not die lol. :p

I need to reinstall my unreal now that I have my good videocard. hmmm.

bluntman
12-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Did you replace your 9700?

profusion
12-06-2004, 10:03 PM

message for me?

bluntman
12-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by profusion

message for me?

Yup.

profusion
12-06-2004, 10:23 PM

message for me?

Yup.

I never had a 9700, before my new card I had the geforce 2 ti200 that was a good card for its time. Its now replaced with my ATI Radeon X800 Pro !! got its few months ago =)

bluntman
12-06-2004, 11:01 PM

message for me?

Yup.

I never had a 9700, before my new card I had the geforce 2 ti200 that was a good card for its time. Its now replaced with my ATI Radeon X800 Pro !! got its few months ago =)

Ah, I knew it was an ATI card.

profusion
12-06-2004, 11:08 PM

message for me?

Yup.

Yup, hey have you played far cry? I heard thats a good game to but never played it yet..

majic
12-06-2004, 11:34 PM

message for me?

Yup.

Yup, hey have you played far cry? I heard thats a good game to but never played it yet..

very nice game.. excellent graphix and great AI.. too bad i don\'t have time to finish the game.. plays smooooth on r9700pro

bluntman
12-07-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by majic

message for me?

Yup.

very nice game.. excellent graphix and great AI.. too bad i don\'t have time to finish the game.. plays smooooth on r9700pro

Let\'s see how small we can make those boxes ^^

majic
12-07-2004, 09:09 AM

message for me?

Yup.

i was thinking the same thing.. optical illusion

bluntman
12-07-2004, 09:16 AM

message for me?

Yup.

Your turn...I hope no one has subscribed to this topic :p

bluntman
12-07-2004, 09:37 AM

message for me?

Yup.

bluntman
12-07-2004, 09:37 AM

message for me?

Yup.

fuey
12-07-2004, 10:50 AM

message for me?

Yup.

haha..i play CS at aroud 11pm..i will be on msn chat so we know who is on and would like to play some CS:S my email is huangv3@hotmail.com and my handle is fuey

AfterBurner
12-07-2004, 06:41 PM
The above post is the longest nested post I have ever seen. It looks quite artful and has nice form and structure. I was tempted to continue but I don\'t want to be too much of a post whore. I can imagine that this thread can have one post per page with that much nesting.:D

bluntman
12-07-2004, 07:38 PM
That\'s what happens when it\'s slow in the office and I turn into a post whore. :D

majic
12-07-2004, 11:24 PM

That\'s what happens when it\'s slow in the office and I turn into a post whore. :D

post whore at heart :D

so where are these bulbs? :p