PDA

View Full Version : Pwdunmore's MS6 Logs

pwdunmore
09-19-2016, 02:08 PM
Here are some logs on the "break in tune" no added waste gate duty, just spring pressure.

Engine:
- Bored to 2.4L
- Manley Rods
- Speed performance custom piston with custom low friction coating (to prevent piston slap)
- L11 Head studs
- BNR S4
- Ebay Exhaust Manifold
- ATP 3" Downpipe
- Custom 3" exhaust
- HDI FMIC
- 3.5" Aluminium JBR intake
- Snow performance Stage 2 MAF Meth (to be installed)
- BC coil overs
- CP-e Stage 1 Clutch
- Speed performance transfer case caps
- CP-e rear diff mount + SURE front diff mount
- Damond stage 3 OCC's with PCV plate
- Techna-fit SS clutch line
- Stoptech brakes + pads + SS lines

So right now on the "break in tune" I am flowing more G/S than my k04 ever did lol...

Snotrocket
09-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Break in tune? I tuned for power at 25lbs. Also raced and destroyed a new Carrera S with less then 100km on the motor lol.

Compression is 180-180-180-180

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

pwdunmore
09-19-2016, 07:56 PM
Break in tune? I tuned for power at 25lbs. Also raced and destroyed a new Carrera S with less then 100km on the motor lol.

Compression is 180-180-180-180

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I know I know... I am taking a long time... it will be worth the wait though lol.

If I ever make it to Peterborough we will need to meet up for a drive. Thanks for the D014 Nozzle going to install it next week when I get my SS lines.
Just got my new tune today from the logs I sent so lets see when I run out of fuel on the stock fueling.

Snotrocket
09-19-2016, 08:15 PM
I ran out of fuel 9 revisions in :( Need to install my JMF with the direct port injection :)

Snotrocket
09-19-2016, 09:14 PM
I know I know... I am taking a long time... it will be worth the wait though lol.

If I ever make it to Peterborough we will need to meet up for a drive. Thanks for the D014 Nozzle going to install it next week when I get my SS lines.
Just got my new tune today from the logs I sent so lets see when I run out of fuel on the stock fueling.

And yes we definitely do.. Looking forward to seeing your setup when its done.

pwdunmore
10-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Logs...3rd gear pulls131521315313154

Car pulls strong and finally got on my wheels and rims.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o580/pwdunmore/20161007_0813141_zpsjfsavcq2.jpg (http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/pwdunmore/media/20161007_0813141_zpsjfsavcq2.jpg.html)

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o580/pwdunmore/MS6%2019%20PSI_zpsboxqsg9g.jpg (http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/pwdunmore/media/MS6%2019%20PSI_zpsboxqsg9g.jpg.html)

pwdunmore
05-29-2017, 10:23 AM

Logs for people who still looks at this stuff... BNR S4 pulling strong with no timing tweeks just boost. Still haven't turned on the meth.

pwdunmore
10-14-2017, 06:56 PM

Someone tell me why I can't get past 24-25psi... at 70 WGDC I hit 24psi then even as WGDC increases to 100 I won't pass 24psi, BNR S4 turbo.

SomeGuy Fobio

Polish_Eagle
10-14-2017, 10:02 PM
Is your tune boost, load or hybrid based?

SomeGuy
10-14-2017, 10:57 PM
Is your tune boost, load or hybrid based?

Doubt it's load problems, his load levels aren't that high...

Looks to me like injector duty cycle is topping at 80%, no higher...what are your load target comp - high rpm and injector base offset tables set to?

pwdunmore
10-15-2017, 12:30 PM
The tune is a hybrid tune and Hypnotic/Rob is doing the tune so I am unsure of the about what tables are set to.
I will ask him about the high rpm load comp and injector base to see if he changed it for my tune.

People on the mazdaspeed forums say it's a boost leak and and another has said it is the preload on the wastegate & I need to add 2 turns.

I was thinking it's the wastegate or something in the tune limiting load/boost at higher rpms.

Does anyone have a boost tester in the GTA I can use/borrow?

Polish_Eagle
10-15-2017, 08:56 PM
I've had Rob tune my car and he's awesome, so I highly doubt it's tune related. I'd definitely do a smoke test to see if there is a small boost leak. If all is good I'd add more preload and let Rob know just in case the tune needs to be updated.

SomeGuy
10-15-2017, 10:12 PM
The tune is a hybrid tune and Hypnotic/Rob is doing the tune so I am unsure of the about what tables are set to.
I will ask him about the high rpm load comp and injector base to see if he changed it for my tune.

People on the mazdaspeed forums say it's a boost leak and and another has said it is the preload on the wastegate & I need to add 2 turns.

I was thinking it's the wastegate or something in the tune limiting load/boost at higher rpms.

Does anyone have a boost tester in the GTA I can use/borrow?

Those couple of tables I've seen prevent power gains when IDC gets to those levels.

Are you running 3 port? If so, pre-load isn't going to help. If not, probably time to switch.

Could be a boost leak too when you get beyond current boost levels it opens up. Usually though at those power levels a boost leaks will turn up in both your afr's and g/s.

pwdunmore
10-16-2017, 09:54 AM
I have a 3 Port EBC and will be adding preload to the wastegate today to see if it doesn't anything...

At redline I am targetting 26psi but I am not getting close to that even with 100 WGDC.
After I add the preload if it does nothing I will hunt for the boost leak... I have done this already when we thought I had a boost leak but it was actually an exhaust leak.

I'll see about making a boost leak detector or if any shops can do it that won't charge me a crazy shop fee.
SomeGuy Why would adding preload to a 3port not help? Before I go and spend time on this instead of tightening stuff down.

SomeGuy
10-16-2017, 12:55 PM
I have a 3 Port EBC and will be adding preload to the wastegate today to see if it doesn't anything...

At redline I am targetting 26psi but I am not getting close to that even with 100 WGDC.
After I add the preload if it does nothing I will hunt for the boost leak... I have done this already when we thought I had a boost leak but it was actually an exhaust leak.

I'll see about making a boost leak detector or if any shops can do it that won't charge me a crazy shop fee.
SomeGuy Why would adding preload to a 3port not help? Before I go and spend time on this instead of tightening stuff down.

3 port there's no boost pressure whatsoever on the wastegate at 100% duty cycle...so no matter how much preload on the wastegate, it's not going to make a difference. 2 port, there's still pressure since it's just bleeding not shunting boost air past the wastegate actuator. Unless the exhaust gas is forcing open the wastegate.

If you add pre-load you'll need to have your tuner re-adjust all your wgdc from scratch as well since it won't respond the same.

pwdunmore
10-17-2017, 09:14 AM
I added preload last night and will be testing it out today. My tuner said to keep it on the same tune and he will adjust from the logs to see how much it affected it.

I am thinking the exhaust gasses were pushing it open but we will find out today with the logs. If it's not this, I am going to hunt for a boost leak that happens at 24psi.

pwdunmore
10-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Did the logs, car didn't blow up. Still feels strong and pulls very smooth to redline. I will post the logs when I get home from work.

That was a fun lunch break lol...

pwdunmore
10-17-2017, 05:36 PM

Logs attached... doesn't look like it helped.

So the question is: boost leak, mechanical issue or tuning issue?

SomeGuy
10-17-2017, 09:00 PM
For the amount of boost you're making, your flow numbers are crap...something boost/mechanical.

pwdunmore
10-18-2017, 10:13 AM
G/S are way off from the AUX methanol fuel. I was clearing 360 g/s before I turned it on. Log attached. SomeGuy
It's either a mechanical issue... or the methanol/tune.

Kiyomi
10-19-2017, 07:44 PM
how much water meth inj. you running and what mixture %? looked at the logs for curiosity.

pwdunmore
10-20-2017, 12:48 PM
how much water meth inj. you running and what mixture %? looked at the logs for curiosity.

100% on a D014 nozzle

Kiyomi
10-21-2017, 12:10 PM
100% on a D014 nozzle

maybe dial it down on the amount, and run a 70/30 mixture and see what happens.

pwdunmore
10-23-2017, 11:55 AM
maybe dial it down on the amount, and run a 70/30 mixture and see what happens.

Found the issue... massive boost leaks on both ends of my intercooler from cheap/badly designed T-bolt clamps.
I will post some pictures of them so people know what to avoid when buying clamps but these came with my intercooler kit...

The clamps are bent out of shape from being tighten so they end up kinking the silicone couplers causing leaks. I have some better quality ones I am going to try to put on tonight.
To give perspective of the how bad the boost leaks are, as soon as I pressurized my system to 2psi it would start whistle from the kinked parts.

SomeGuy
10-23-2017, 04:44 PM
I'm surprised boost leaks that big didn't massively throw off the tune.
DLYDRVN had run into some boost leaks and the tune kept getting away from us and not responding how we expected, a pro tuner should notice it instantly...took us a while to figure it out.

Either way, if you've had your tuner crank up the wgdc and it's compensating for the boost leaks, be careful you don't massively overboost when the leaks are gone.

Polish_Eagle
10-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Oh damn, so it's quite impressive your turbo was still hitting 23 PSI. Nice find!

SomeGuy
10-23-2017, 04:59 PM
Oh damn, so it's quite impressive your turbo was still hitting 23 PSI. Nice find!

Yeah...I wonder how much air was being lost though.

pwdunmore
10-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Rob knows now and he said the load limits on the tune will close my throttle body if I hit to much boost/load.
Engine is built to hold 30+psi so no problem there as long as I have enough fuel...

Polish_Eagle you're telling me... this turbo is going to do the job for my power goals and the fueling I have right now.

pwdunmore
11-03-2017, 03:18 PM

Logs attached for those paying attention still.

Looks like I fixed the major leaks but I still have one... AFR's are a little lean from me fixing the major leak.

Need to adjust my g/s compensation for the methanol fueling.

Kiyomi
11-03-2017, 05:42 PM
i see some not so nice knock events, shouldnt be too bad with richer afrs. intake cam stays advanced for quite some time also

pwdunmore
11-29-2017, 10:41 AM
The issue persists and I am stuck... in theory I can't boost test my intake manifold and I have a feeling one of the compression fittings that go to the brake boost and evaporator purge may be leaking the boost past 25psi. If anyone has any ideas of how to check them I am all ears. The fittings themselves are in good condition when inspecting them visually but they may not like the high boost pressures.

I am going to replace some of the boost control parts over the winter to see if that fixes this issue and get the meth pump grounded better because that's another issue.

Polish_Eagle
12-02-2017, 10:52 AM
Spray some soap water on the fittings and create some boost while a friend looks at the fittings. If you see it bubbling there's your problem. You could always go to the hardware store and pickup a pvc pipe cap that fits on the intake coupler, put an air compressor fitting on it and pressurize the system with a small amount of pressure. Then listen for leaks and use soap water to confirm all the fittings aren't leaking.

2012mazda3hatch
12-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Spray some soap water on the fittings and create some boost while a friend looks at the fittings. If you see it bubbling there's your problem. You could always go to the hardware store and pickup a pvc pipe cap that fits on the intake coupler, put an air compressor fitting on it and pressurize the system with a small amount of pressure. Then listen for leaks and use soap water to confirm all the fittings aren't leaking.
This would be the best option to to check for leaks. In plumbing we use masters leak detector and it works great. Also (not sure about on a car) but the compression fittings in plumbing don’t work as well the second time you try and tighten it. If you get a new insert for the hose that may do the trick.

13497 13498 13499

pwdunmore
12-02-2017, 10:21 PM
I found another bad hose clamp and fixed a bad ground my my meth pump. Still having the same issues, with boost so the leak is still present.

I am going to try and boost test my intake manifold by using the BPV hose. I will if the brake booster fitting is leaking or the OCC check valve/hose that goes off the intake manifold. I will update tomorrow.

The issue only comes up at 25psi which is well above stock boost levels but not by much...

pwdunmore
12-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Found a missing O ring on the VTCS flapper arm, replaced it with one I had from a spare manifold. Still having the same issue.

Swapping my MAP sensor today then if that doesn't work my 3 port EBC will get replaced too. I have no idea what to do after that if those swaps don't work...

pwdunmore
12-04-2017, 03:36 PM
So conclude this journey and finally on to finishing the tune... I replaced the MAP sensor and bolt holding it with a shorter one and the problem is gone.

Logs attached1350113502

She pulls to redline and there is more room the grow with the next revision but snow...

Polish_Eagle
12-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Enjoy, Rob will really bring the car to life! From all my tunes (Rob, Freek, & Stratified) Rob made the most power and also made the car drive the best.

pwdunmore
08-29-2018, 02:36 PM
Boost leak is back, I think... from the CS manifold install. Probably from one of the outlets for PCV or the brake booster.

Anyone else see anything?

pwdunmore
09-13-2018, 09:17 AM
Found several sources of leaks... One being the hose for the brake booster CS provided. There is no check valve in the hose they provide but there is one in the smaller portion of the stock hose.
This caused my brake booster to see boost and leak, plus on any start up it would rev up, more so than on the cold start cat warm up procedure.
So I put back on the small portion of the stock brake booster hose and used the barb to connect it to the CS hose, trimmed down.

The other boost leaks were from bad positioned clamps... I want to get different a different type of system to join my piping. Silicone and hose clamps are a pain in my butt right now.

pwdunmore
09-23-2018, 06:31 PM

Here are some more logs of my boost leak at 26psi, I think my BPV is cracking open. Ordered a service kit for my BPV, Forge V2.
If anyone else has experienced this at higher than stock boost levels with a Forge BPV let me know.

I have the red spring with 2 shims in right now.

shift8
09-23-2018, 06:54 PM
Graphed for fun and profit.

datalog123
https://i.imgur.com/j24TT3Y.png

datalog124
https://i.imgur.com/D1LoMak.png

datalog125
https://i.imgur.com/FxWOzig.png