PDA

View Full Version : \Winterizing Your Car\

Illmatic
11-26-2004, 11:04 AM
I know we always hear about winterizing your car and a lot of places seem to offer packages. I wanted to see what people think of when they see \"winterization\" packages being offered.

What do you think are the basic things you should do to get your car prepared for the colder weather (i.e. tires, wiper blades, washer fluid, etc.)

Illmatic

Melenium
11-26-2004, 05:29 PM
-If you\'re about due for an oil change, nows a good time (may want to consider some synthetic)
-Put on winter tires (if you have them), but check the pressure, bolts and for wear/damage
-Don\'t forget the spare!
-Top up the wiper fluid
-Throw some RainX on the windows/mirrors
-Check all fluids (oil, brake/steering, etc etc)
-Check all the seals are good
-Rustproof if you\'ve done it/want to do it
-Give the car a wash and a good coat of wax to get it through the rough weather
-Throw a small bag of salt into the trunk
-Toss in a snow brush/ice thingy
-Lube the hinges if it hasn\'t been done at a service recently

bubba1983
11-27-2004, 02:20 AM
i hope you don\'t mean the salt for weight...its a front wheel drive vehicle....

MajesticBlueNTO
11-27-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by bubba1983

i hope you don\'t mean the salt for weight...its a front wheel drive vehicle....

still, it\'s beneficial to bring the weight distribution closer to 50/50 during the winter for controlling vehicle dynamics.

a light back end will tend to lose traction faster and, even though modern cars are designed for understeer, in a slippery condition, the back end can break loose if it loses traction.

Melenium
11-27-2004, 02:39 AM

When I meant a \"small bag of salt\" I mean like a large freezer Ziplock\'s worth.. just enough to melt the area around the tires if you get stuck in a parking lot or something.

Another thing to add to the list is a collapsible shovel. It came in very handy on several occassions. :)

Melenium
11-27-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

still, it\'s beneficial to bring the weight distribution closer to 50/50 during the winter for controlling vehicle dynamics.

a light back end will tend to lose traction faster and, even though modern cars are designed for understeer, in a slippery condition, the back end can break loose if it loses traction.

I don\'t know that I agree with this. Adding more weight does add a bit of traction, but you\'re also adding mass which has a greater effect on polar and angular momentum (increasing the chances of oversteer I think). I\'m not good with math, but I\'d say you\'ll be doing more harm than good by adding it since it increases momentum probably more than traction. Then again a bag of salt probably wouldn\'t have much effect either way.

The RX-8 brochure explains the general concept of polar momentum fairly well:
http://gonka.com/mazda3/polar_momentum.jpg

MajesticBlueNTO
11-27-2004, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Melenium

I don\'t know that I agree with this. Adding more weight does add a bit of traction, but you\'re also adding mass which has a greater effect on polar and angular momentum (increasing the chances of oversteer I think). I\'m not good with math, but I\'d say you\'ll be doing more harm than good by adding it since it increases momentum probably more than traction. Then again a bag of salt probably wouldn\'t have much effect either way.

The RX-8 brochure explains the general concept of polar momentum fairly well:
http://gonka.com/mazda3/polar_momentum.jpg

adding mass in strategic spots helps with polar moments. race car teams will add ballast to help with handling in different conditions.

you\'ll notice in the picture that it isn\'t describing mass per se, but the placement of that mass. the rx-8 has the engine and the heaviest point at the rear closer to the centre axis, which reduces the moment of inertia.

it\'s the difference between placing a 50lbs bag of salt up against the spot where the trunk closes and up against the seat.

but, then again, the bag of salt isn\'t bolted down so it will probably do more harm than good :)

Newlook
11-28-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Melenium

-Throw a small bag of salt into the trunk

You may want to consider cat litter instead of salt.

Melenium
11-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Newlook

You may want to consider cat litter instead of salt.

I\'ve actually heard that cat litter, carpet and most other stuff really doesn\'t do much at all. The salt isn\'t really there for traction, but rather to melt some of the ice.