PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Mazda3 GT, does the bumper need to come off?

Flag_nor_Fail
01-07-2017, 07:20 PM
Hey guys just wondering if the bumper needs to come off in order to replace the passenger side chrome trim. I bought this car used in great condition but somehow the previous owner scratched that piece all up.. anyways I've got the replacement and looks as though it needs to be removed in order to replace it. I found this thread but can't quite see it behind there http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?76964-2014-Mazda-3-Bumper-Removal I can't figure out how to post pictures yet but looks like it had a screw and some sort of clips

Flag_nor_Fail
01-07-2017, 07:38 PM
Sorry here's the part
http://i63.tinypic.com/v5fjg6.jpg

Hyperion
01-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Going to go out on a limb and say yes.

Flag_nor_Fail
01-08-2017, 10:59 AM
I figured that, was wondering if anyone had pictures or a link to pictures behind the bumper to get an idea of what's there? I'm always worried about breaking clips and not aligning the bumper properly when putting it back together...

SonicBoy
01-08-2017, 11:42 AM
I suspect, once you have the bumper off, you'll be able to compare the new replacement part with what's actually there and figure out what has a fastener and what is clipped in place.

What you posted in the 2nd post makes me think it's all clip in but hard to say without seeing what's already there. You may need to use the plastic trim piece tools. I'd also do it in a warm space to avoid brittle things snapping from the cold.

Hyperion
01-08-2017, 09:25 PM
1) I have a diy guide for removing the bumper posted.
2) Do this in the summer. You'll most likely break a clip in the cold. And THEN you might get a misalignment, but normally it buttons up fine.

Flag_nor_Fail
01-09-2017, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the input! Looks like I'll have to wait until some warmer weather I guess. Unless I go to a local garage other than Mazda cause they want 175$ just to remove the bumper which is ridiculous lol

MikeSafari
02-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the input! Looks like I'll have to wait until some warmer weather I guess. Unless I go to a local garage other than Mazda cause they want 175$ just to remove the bumper which is ridiculous lol

Not really when you think about how they price stuff. An hour of labour is ~$120, plus to remove a bumper the "right" way you need two people. So basically it takes two guys 45 minutes or so.

Reddie1337
02-01-2017, 11:40 PM
The whole bumper has to be pulled, and both chrome pieces have to come off because I believe that one slides under the other side chrome and bolts up. Not a terrible job, but I can see why the dealer would want the money to rip it apart and put it back together.