PDA

View Full Version : Where to find spare cigarette lighter port and wire-tapping kit?

Gboz
11-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks to the instructions found on forums like this one, have been able to wire up the PIE solution with Belkin Auto Kit. The only thing left to do to give myself a 100% clean look is to tap into the wires for the existing LIghter, to hook up a spare cigarette lighter so everything plugs in \"behind the scenes\".

So, my question is;

1 - Where can I find a spare cigarette lighter?

2 - I\'ve read that instead of splicing, you can tap into the wires, which is easier. Where can I get the parts to do this?

I\'ve wandered around a couple of Canadian Tires with no luck...any other source?

Thanks!
G

majic
11-30-2004, 05:24 PM
send me a PM with your e-mail addy and we\'ll talk about the cig lighter ;)

woulda sent a PM but stupid 1 a day limit isn\'t allowing me to do so..

bluntman
11-30-2004, 07:07 PM
I simply bought a cigarette lighter extension from RadioShack and cut the female end about 12\" from the end of the chord. You can buy some 3M wire taps, the ones that you just close over some cut wires, from Canadian Tire or Walmart.

3M wire taps (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=676)

Gboz
11-30-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the info,

Looks like Radio Shack also carries the Wire Taps as well. So, next question, when looking at the extension for the cigarette lighter, how can you tell which is the postive and which is the negative? I know on the car the orange is positive and the black negative.

Thanks,
G