PDA

View Full Version : Dont you just hate customs?!

///M
11-30-2004, 05:10 PM
I ordered an HKS Circular Grounding kit for my car from Overboost (http://www.overboost.com) some time ago. I opted for the $45 expedited (3-5 days) shipping option hoping to get it in time for the meet. It finally arrives today, about 3 weeks after I ordered. Worse still, I get dinged with a $62 in customs charges! That\'s for an item that cost little more than $100. :sarc Since when did our GST become ~60%?! I then noticed that they declared the item as being worth $362...geez - I am going to apply for a customs refund. Probably going to take forever.

There goes some of the money I had set aside for my HID kit. :(

Note to self: do not ever order from Overboost again.

billyfo
11-30-2004, 06:10 PM
from my experience back from Buffalo to Ontario about 10yrs ago:D , if the value about $100, then it added 22% custom fee, on top w/ 7% GST, so total will be about $130. Don\'t know anything change then.

midnightfxgt
11-30-2004, 07:21 PM
OUCH! Thats a lot for a grounding system, and for shipping! :(

I would ask about compensation for the shipping charge though.

~JOHN

bluntman
11-30-2004, 07:58 PM
I can deal with customs charges, it\'s one of the necessary evils of buying stuff from the US. It is the brokerage charges that I cannot stand. I bought a gooseneck mount for my iPod from a retailer in the US for $10, shipping was another $10 via UPS (all prices in USD). UPS came to my door asking for $20 CDN in brokerage fees!!!!

rbart4506
12-01-2004, 07:17 AM
From ordering various mountain biking parts from the US I have found the most economical route is to use USPS and then Canada Post takes over. You are charged a flat $5 fee and then Duty and GST. The other option is FedEx International, brokerages fees are built into the original shipping charge so there are no suprises at the door. With Fedex you still need to deal with duty and GST, but they will bill you later (by mail)...which is nice...

The worst courier to use is UPS!!! I stay away from anyone that ships via them...

Rich