PDA

View Full Version : Install Pics of Bubbas Mazda 3

Guess
12-07-2004, 06:26 PM
His is a Polarion 4100K Kit, and mine is a BrightStar 6500K kit

my ride is the sunset orange mica, and his is the grey one.

http://www.guesshosting.com/upload/hid1.jpg
http://www.guesshosting.com/upload/hid2.jpg
http://www.guesshosting.com/upload/hid3.jpg
http://www.guesshosting.com/upload/hid4.jpg
http://www.guesshosting.com/upload/hid5.jpg
http://www.guesshosting.com/upload/hid6.jpg

I did the install on his ride.
See here:
http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1219

Dr Butcher
12-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Looks like a nice clean install, I\'ll look you up to talk things over when I get my kit.

mEtH
12-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Looks like a great install. I am one to keep the wires hidden and this does a great job of that. I would only want to figure out another way to ground that ballast. I beleive thats what the connection to the battery is for. Could also be power, well whatever it is for maybe I\'d re-route it personally. IM PICKY LIKE THAT, people who have seen my ETB ground can vouch for that. :p

Off topic question, how much was the brigtstar kit? just curious for comparison.

Guess
12-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by methodyst Looks like a great install. I am one to keep the wires hidden and this does a great job of that. I would only want to figure out another way to ground that ballast. I beleive thats what the connection to the battery is for. Could also be power, well whatever it is for maybe I\'d re-route it personally. IM PICKY LIKE THAT, people who have seen my ETB ground can vouch for that. :p Off topic question, how much was the brigtstar kit? just curious for comparison.

Where do you see a ground to the chassis as oposed to the battery?

On a side note: ETB Ground does NOTHING, its absolutely useless, as our TB is made of a non conductive alloy.

Guess
12-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by methodyst Looks like a great install. I am one to keep the wires hidden and this does a great job of that. I would only want to figure out another way to ground that ballast. I beleive thats what the connection to the battery is for. Could also be power, well whatever it is for maybe I\'d re-route it personally. IM PICKY LIKE THAT, people who have seen my ETB ground can vouch for that. :p Off topic question, how much was the brigtstar kit? just curious for comparison.

I can get the brighstar to anyone that wants its for $380 taxes in.

aabase
12-08-2004, 12:49 AM
the headlight of the car on the right looks yellow compared to the car on the left. are they both HID\'s?

Guess
12-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by aabase the headlight of the car on the right looks yellow compared to the car on the left. are they both HID\'s?

Yea, they are, except one is a 6500K kit (higher temperature) and the other is a 4100K kit.

mEtH
12-08-2004, 01:00 AM
I mean the wire that is going from the right ballast to somewhere near the battery. Based on how I like things I would re-route. Its nothing against your work as it looks phenominal its just a matter me being a pain in the a$$.

Guess
12-08-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by methodyst I mean the wire that is going from the right ballast to somewhere near the battery. Based on how I like things I would re-route. Its nothing against your work as it looks phenominal its just a matter me being a pain in the a$$.

The wires that are going from the right Balast are going directly to the Battery for negative, and the relay for positive... What would you re-route (I am just curious, as I like to hear the opinions of others to see if I can improve upon my work)

mEtH
12-08-2004, 01:09 AM
I\'d personally probably try to run them a little lower so they blend in with the mash of wiring down there.

That is how I ran my grounding wire. I ran it in around the fuse box and over to the central ground point. So all that is seen is a little red cabling over near the cental grounding point then it gets lost.

Yah I know I am picky. :p

Guess
12-08-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by methodyst I\'d personally probably try to run them a little lower so they blend in with the mash of wiring down there. That is how I ran my grounding wire. I ran it in around the fuse box and over to the central ground point. So all that is seen is a little red cabling over near the cental grounding point then it gets lost. Yah I know I am picky. :p

OHH.. I know exactly what you mean, I was going to route it under the fuse box, however, the wires included werent long enough and it wasnt worth adding (soldering) extra wiring for the simple means of aesthetics.

Frankly, I was really unimpressed with the wiring included with the Polarion Kit. Most wires were too short, (why a relay per ballast??) all this severly adds to the clutter.

mEtH
12-08-2004, 01:17 AM
Definately wonder why the polarion kit has such short wires. It makes the ballasts hard to place because of that and especially harder to hide, but you found a great spot for that. When I look at the McCulloch, the wires are so long you can put the ballast at the back of the engine bay. Well I\'ll stop posting in this thread like crazy so....

Great job, if I get HIDs you might just be getting a call.

Guess
12-08-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by methodyst Definately wonder why the polarion kit has such short wires. It makes the ballasts hard to place because of that and especially harder to hide, but you found a great spot for that. When I look at the McCulloch, the wires are so long you can put the ballast at the back of the engine bay. Well I\'ll stop posting in this thread like crazy so.... Great job, if I get HIDs you might just be getting a call.

Tomorrrow I shall post the install of my Brighstar Kit, luckily longer wiring and the ballast is at the rear of the engine bay as you mentioned.

bubba1983
12-08-2004, 10:35 AM
not sure which thread to post, so i\'ll post in both....

alright....well, now that the excitement is all gone out of my system...and i\'ve had time to hop around town checking out the HID\'s....so here goes my review..

First Off, i will say that Guess is a great person, who obviously knows what he is doing. This was my first time meeting him, and first impressions last the longest, and i must say, very good first impression. His attention to detail and care for someone else\'s car is stunning. I say this becaue of the drop cloth which was draped over the front of the car, to wiping everything off after the install, to even putting a cloth over the engine cover where he placed his lamp. I never expected any of this, but it DOES show attention to detail *2 thumbs up*....

All that aside...i will agree that the wiring for this kit was somewhat...restrictive. But other than that, as i previously stated, he does know very damn well what he is doing, trust me when i say this people. Placing of the ballasts was a little tricky....but the spot we selected, IMO, was appealing to my tastes, so thats where they went.

In short summary...the install was done very professionally..., and very clean, in an under 2 hour timeframe. The only complaint that i have, which is VERY VERY minor, is the grommets he supplied, i believe are a little small. I took it for a test spin after i got them installed, but i was too giddy to notice anything. This morning when i got off work, driving to country boy, i noticed it still bounces around a bit when hitting bumps of any size at any speed...its small bouncing, but its still noticeable. I may just go to home depot or whatever it is, and get those bigger ones that some people use and jus swap them out for maybe a tighter fit, but i will contact guess first for his opinion on that, just to be sure.

Highlight of the install....when he gave me a teaser of how they looked firing up and lit....and how sometimes the connection would accidently contact the battery, and flicker them on....LOL

Close call of the install....almost loosing the one ballast in the fender and fear of having to cut the fender to get the ballast out, hahaha, inside joke..you had to be there!!

Comfort of the install...brand new $24 floor heater, which kept us warm!

Bragging right of the install....I don\'t have a tick! haha, i had to say it!!

Best part about this setup..its completely reversable, and doesn\'t tap into any stock wiring..(which is what i wanted) its like a plug and play and go. I recommend him to anybody on here.

chaser
12-09-2004, 12:01 AM
bubba,

Your 4100K HID looks a bit yellowish. I think that\'s because they\'re new and need some times to warm-up/burn-in. Can you post some update pics after you\'ve given the kit enough time to burn-in? thx :)

keving
12-09-2004, 01:08 AM
When you mention this setup is completely reversible, do we have to go back to Guess to get it reversed, or can we reverse the process ourselves?

Guess
12-09-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by keving When you mention this setup is completely reversible, do we have to go back to Guess to get it reversed, or can we reverse the process ourselves?

You can simply reverse it yourself (Unscrew a couple of bolts at the - and + terminal, take out the ballasts (either bolted, screwed down, or taped down), and remove the HIDs, and put the stock bulbs in. (oh, and remove a ton of zip ties)

and your back to stock..

bubba1983
12-09-2004, 03:42 AM
here are some more pictures...almost 36 hours after installation..pardon my bad camera skills....

http://www.lucero.ca/car_images/bubba_HID_1.jpg
http://www.lucero.ca/car_images/bubba_HID_2.jpg
http://www.lucero.ca/car_images/bubba_HID_3.jpg
http://www.lucero.ca/car_images/bubba_HID_4.jpg
http://www.lucero.ca/car_images/bubba_HID_5.jpg

i have a small video of them firing up if u would like, i can send them via msn...

Dr Butcher
12-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Nice stuff Bubba. Is it me or does it seem like your passenger side bulb has a hint of blue to it where your driver side looks more yellow/white?

I was really concerned about some of the cheaper kits having different temperatures between the bulbs, but to me it looks like it can happen to any kit.

bluntman
12-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by bubba1983

i have a small video of them firing up if u would like, i can send them via msn...

I wish mine made a noise similar to the Delorean firing up in Back to the Future.

wtom
12-09-2004, 11:35 AM
I hope for you, bubba, those ballasts are guaranteed to be water proof. The install locations are a bit risky with water getting there easily.

MajesticBlueNTO
12-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

I wish mine made a noise similar to the Delorean firing up in Back to the Future.

you mean yours doesn\'t? :D

bubba1983
12-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Dr Butcher

Nice stuff Bubba. Is it me or does it seem like your passenger side bulb has a hint of blue to it where your driver side looks more yellow/white?

I was really concerned about some of the cheaper kits having different temperatures between the bulbs, but to me it looks like it can happen to any kit.

thats just the way the picture was taken. if you look at the car from a distance, pending on how you look at them, they change color like a rainbow, just like bmw\'s and stuff when you see them coming down the street towards you, or in your rear view mirror, its pretty wild i love it.

bubba1983
12-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by wtom

I hope for you, bubba, those ballasts are guaranteed to be water proof. The install locations are a bit risky with water getting there easily.

why wouldn\'t they not be waterproff, if being mounted in your engine bay anywhere. that would be stupid to make a non waterproof ballast. besides, their in under the fender almost \"sheltered\" so to speak, lol

MajesticBlueNTO
12-09-2004, 12:45 PM

why wouldn\'t they not be waterproff, if being mounted in your engine bay anywhere. that would be stupid to make a non waterproof ballast. besides, their in under the fender almost \"sheltered\" so to speak, lol

most stock HID ballasts (re. non-aftermarket conversion kits) are enclosed in some kind of case.

before m3f had a meltdown, oliver even said that the ballasts are not waterPROOF, but they are sealed such that the occasional drops won\'t affect it (this was said after Walsh posted his pics of installing the ballast behind the grill/in front of the radiator).

there are many things in an engine bay that isn\'t waterproof (i.e. distributor cap and plug wires)...just because they reside in an engine bay, doesn\'t make them waterproof.

Guess
12-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN
Originally posted by wtom I hope for you, bubba, those ballasts are guaranteed to be water proof. The install locations are a bit risky with water getting there easily. why wouldn\'t they not be waterproff, if being mounted in your engine bay anywhere. that would be stupid to make a non waterproof ballast. besides, their in under the fender almost \"sheltered\" so to speak, lol most stock HID ballasts (re. non-aftermarket conversion kits) are enclosed in some kind of case. before m3f had a meltdown, oliver even said that the ballasts are not waterPROOF, but they are sealed such that the occasional drops won\'t affect it (this was said after Walsh posted his pics of installing the ballast behind the grill/in front of the radiator). there are many things in an engine bay that isn\'t waterproof (i.e. distributor cap and plug wires)...just because they reside in an engine bay, doesn\'t make them waterproof.

Everything in our engine bay is waterproof besides the intake ofcourse. (since we dont have a distributor cap, we have coipacks instead)

The ballasts arent waterproof, they are water resistant, meaning you cant dunk the things in a tank of water, but you can splash them with water (ie. they cant withstand water pressure), and are mounted in the fender, where NO water will ever get to them, as that area is protected by sheet metal in every direction.

Guess
12-09-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by wtom I hope for you, bubba, those ballasts are guaranteed to be water proof. The install locations are a bit risky with water getting there easily.

Please look at the post above, and for the love of god. before you post, make sure you THINK and CHECK about what your saying. From what direction could water remotely get to them?

bubba1983
12-09-2004, 01:01 PM
amen brotha...

MajesticBlueNTO
12-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Guess

Everything in our engine bay is waterproof besides the intake ofcourse. (since we dont have a distributor cap, we have coipacks instead)

i know we have coilpacks..i said \"an engine bay\" not \"the mazda3\'s engine bay\"

to prove your point, why not dunk your engine bay in water (hood open with the air intake tubing routed upwards)

wtom
12-09-2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by wtom I hope for you, bubba, those ballasts are guaranteed to be water proof. The install locations are a bit risky with water getting there easily.

Please look at the post above, and for the love of god. before you post, make sure you THINK and CHECK about what your saying. From what direction could water remotely get to them?

There is no proof water can get into that area but that doesn\'t mean water cannot get into that area. Have a little bit of respect for others opinions and suggestions before you go blasting your mouth. Just because you know how to tinker with our car doesn\'t make you God.

Guess
12-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by wtom I hope for you, bubba, those ballasts are guaranteed to be water proof. The install locations are a bit risky with water getting there easily. Please look at the post above, and for the love of god. before you post, make sure you THINK and CHECK about what your saying. From what direction could water remotely get to them? There is no proof water can get into that area but that doesn\'t mean water cannot get into that area. Have a little bit of respect for others opinions and suggestions before you go blasting your mouth. Just because you know how to tinker with our car doesn\'t make you God.

Oh boy. Does the fact that I thoroughly checked the area prior to installing the ballasts there tell you anything? Because of the lip of the fender that covers it, Physics prevents any water going in there, Unless you open your hood and spray it with water directly on the ballast, which still wouldnt do anything to it. There is absolutely no way water could get from underneath it do to the layers of protection there. This Spot is safer in terms of getting a single drop of water on a ballast, then ANY I have seen done before, unless the balast was totally enclosed in plastic.

Oh, and I dont \"tinker\", I never approach a install unprepared.

wtom
12-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Thank you for that more civilized answer which you could have gave me originally rather than blowing up your head and getting defensive with a line like \"for the love of god. before you post, make sure you THINK and CHECK about what your saying.\"

We don\'t welcome another FrostyFire.

Guess
12-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by wtom Thank you for that more civilized answer which you could have gave me originally rather than blowing up your head and getting defensive with a line like \"for the love of god. before you post, make sure you THINK and CHECK about what your saying.\" We don\'t welcome another FrostyFire.

No problem, the initial post was a sign of frustration with your post, and shouldnt of been posted, my appologies.

wtom
12-09-2004, 01:36 PM
I originally replied your second last post regarding \"ignorance\" but your following post allowed me to delete the msg.

In remaining calm, I just want to say that without a bit of ignorance in all of us, we would not need to learn and forums of information sharing such as this one would be useless.

Guess
12-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by wtom I originally replied your second last post regarding \"ignorance\" but your following post allowed me to delete the msg. In remaining calm, I just want to say that without a bit of ignorance in all of us, we would not need to learn and forums of information sharing such as this one would be useless.

True enough, but thats why I initially got frustrated is because your post is posted as a statement of a fact, as opposed to a question as it should be.

In regards to the shot downs with automatics, I am not shooting down another \"member\", I am shooting down a good friend, as its a inside joke between us.;)

bluntman
12-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

Originally posted by bluntman

you mean yours doesn\'t? :D

Devin said he didn\'t have any of \"those kits\" left when I bought mine. :(

MAZDA3_MIKE
12-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Nice job on the install guess ! And to you bubba nice lights , I want :)

wtom
12-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by MAZDA3_MIKE

Nice job on the install guess ! And to you bubba nice lights , I want :)

Hey Mike glad you made it on here! Did TM3 help you out (our webmaster) with your account or something? (I sent this in a private msg to you, the PM notice is at the bottom of the main forum screen). You can choose to reply there if you want so we can stay on topic here. :p

MAZDA3_MIKE
12-10-2004, 05:51 PM
I dont know wtf happened but im here after many tries . Im glad i got in , just reading with out posting sucked . thanks for your help in the past wtom

Mayhem
12-10-2004, 10:57 PM
In the first pic.....is the brightstar the bluish tinged one....from the pic I\'m having a hard time telling the colors of the car.....it appears the one on the right is the Gray. Also...on both installs, the DRL mod must still be done correct ? I read that it was totally reversible, but I assume that it doesn\'t include the DRL mod.

Guess
12-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Mayhem In the first pic.....is the brightstar the bluish tinged one....from the pic I\'m having a hard time telling the colors of the car.....it appears the one on the right is the Gray. Also...on both installs, the DRL mod must still be done correct ? I read that it was totally reversible, but I assume that it doesn\'t include the DRL mod.

Yes, the one on the right is the grey one. The DRL mod is done, and is totally reversible.