PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Mazda3, 109K Trailing arm bushing

Google
04-14-2018, 06:06 AM
Was at the dealer the other day and they reminded me about my rear driver's trailing arm bushing a few years ago. Now, it needs replacing. I checked prices at rockauto and unfortunately, they didn't have my trailing arm. Amazon has it but it's close to $300. Not sure if that's the correct price.

This is a major job, but I was wondering if it's better to get the entire trailer arm replaced at another shop or just the bushing?

Flagrum_3
04-14-2018, 12:17 PM
Unless the trailing arm is bent somehow, I suggest just changing the bushing. They are like $20 ea. The cost is in installing them, as usual. Search around at independent shops and get quotes. The dealer will simply overcharge on the labour at the tune of $110 per hr or more.

As an example; I had both of my rear bushings changed out along with a myriad of other suspension components at around 280k on my MZ3. Including; Sway bar bushings & clamps, shocks & struts, both front lower control arms and stabilizer arm links all for $600 labour at an independent near me. Mazda wanted almost $1600 in labour to do the same.

Its your choice.

_3

Google
04-14-2018, 07:40 PM
Thanks Flagrum. When you mean independent, would shops like Midas be included or should I stick with specialty independent shops instead?

jeff7670
04-14-2018, 11:48 PM
Independent is best. I find they are much more honest and do better work then Midas. Usually mechanics at independent shops have been there for 10+ years. Once you find a good shop, stick with it.

Flagrum_3
04-14-2018, 11:59 PM
Thanks Flagrum. When you mean independent, would shops like Midas be included or should I stick with specialty independent shops instead?

Absolutely no to Midas! Any of the "Chains" are rip-offs for the most part.

Look for an true independent, a family run place. Ask friends or around for referrals, word of mouth is usually the best method.

Good luck,

_3

shift8
04-15-2018, 05:03 PM
I'd agree on the bushing replacement. I had to swap my trailing arms after a dealer crushed the shock mount point. Not cheap :)

Unless they are bent or rusted to shit, the labour is basically the same to replace them since they have to come out anyways. If the bushing is significantly cheaper than just have a new one pressed in.