PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Gas tank < 55L!!!

majic
12-15-2004, 07:47 PM
so i\'m stolling to work.. and the light goes on.. meh.. at this point i have 10-12L (whatever the reserve is) and i have about 20km to work and 50 more back home.. so as you see I should comfortably make it home based on my average fuel consumption of almost 10L/100km (mainly stop and go traffic)

so i get to 525km and car runs out of gas.. i\'m glad i brought my winter gloves today.. no biggie.. my friend was just on his way from work and we went to his house picked up a can and filled it with gas.. by the time we were back a cruiser came by the car.. officer was very pleasant and said he\'d sit and wait protecting my car ;) till i filled up from the can.

anyway.. so i go back to the station and fill 46.824L (already \'topping it up\') on top of 4.534L from the can... lets round the numbers (i spilled some out from the can and used some up on the way to the station) and we end up with 47+4=51L, 4L short of advertised.

considering it\'s winter MORE gas should squeeze in (ok so its volume is corrected to X degrees.. right)

anwyay.. not to digress, the bottom line is, if you\'re like me and you drive it down to the empty line give yourself about 50km from the light coming on in stop and go traffic and fill up asap..

also i\'d like to know what happened with the rest of my gas tank (4L) :p i guess that\'s &lt; 10% error but still.. was it the weather? was it the pump? is 55L from when the nozzle CLICKS or is it to when it spills over and out of your gas tank?

Melenium
12-15-2004, 08:07 PM
How much gas you use depends on how lead-footed you\'ve been, but that still doesn\'t explain why you pumped in less than the full 55L.

Well, I guess you discovered the reason the gas tank is on the wrong side of the car-- for saftey\'s sake when you run out :p

Seriously though, thanks for the heads up :)

idreamofmazda
12-15-2004, 08:17 PM
It’s winter, never run on a low tank, as condensation builds up in tank, leading to frozen gas lines.

majic
12-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Melenium
How much gas you use depends on how lead-footed you\'ve been, but that still doesn\'t explain why you pumped in less than the full 55L.

oh totally.. and that\'s what i mean.. my avg. fuel consumption with spirited driving and stop and go traffic is 10L b/c even on this \'full tank\' i got 9.8L

i\'m gonna sue mazda ;) for making me stand outside in the cold.. and emotional scarring from the incident and humiliation from all the drive-bys honking and pointing and laughing.. :p

Well, I guess you discovered the reason the gas tank is on the wrong side of the car-- for saftey\'s sake when you run out :p

yeah totally.. it wasn\'t as nerve wracking pouring the gas in.

Seriously though, thanks for the heads up :)

no probs.. i wish it hadn\'t happened but what can u do?

oh also.. a tip.. when u run out and need to restart engine.. when your\'e cranking it.. give it gas since it\'s all drained from the system and this way you will \'bleed\' it and it will start no prob..

MZ3_GS
12-16-2004, 02:12 AM
I\'ve put in more than that before??? Actually no i think49.xxx is the max.

billyfo
12-16-2004, 08:02 AM
I filled up no more than 51L, so we have 4L extra like M3F says??

teambedlam
12-16-2004, 08:10 AM
Once i filled up and i put 53L in. I was pushing the envelope on the 401. I\'ll never let it go that long ever again. That was so nerve wracking. The math said i would make it but Murphys Law likes to taunt me.

bluntman
12-16-2004, 08:13 AM
Anyone remember that Seinfeld episode where Kramer takes out a car for a test drive and really checks out how far he can drive past \"E\"?

Dr Butcher
12-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by majic

oh also.. a tip.. when u run out and need to restart engine.. when your\'e cranking it.. give it gas since it\'s all drained from the system and this way you will \'bleed\' it and it will start no prob..

I thought you pretty much just had to let the fuel pump recharge the system by putting the key into the run position. Pumping a fuel injected car can lead to a flooded engine, and unlike a carburetor, you can\'t mat the pedal when cranking, you\'ll only make things worse.

rbart4506
12-16-2004, 08:36 AM
And once again I shake my head and wonder why people consistentally drive until the light comes on....I understand once in a while, but all the time makes no sense to me...

I guess it just means I won\'t be running out of gas anytime soon...Considering I fill once I have a quarter tank left...Better to be safe then sorry...

BTW...I\'ve been driving for almost 20 years now and have never, ever run out of gas...

Rich

bluntman
12-16-2004, 08:38 AM
^^^ Agreed.

Dr Butcher
12-16-2004, 08:43 AM
The cheap bastard in me compels me to pull over and fill up whenever gas is the cheapest, 1/4 tank, 1/2 tank, whatever. The fear of an extra few cents per litre will never let my tank get even close to the empty mark. :D

cyber
12-16-2004, 11:06 AM
I get the same impression that the tank is smaller than 55L. Oh well I will have to get used to it.

Anyone else here loving the fact that gas is in the low 60 cent area???:D I love filling my tank with $28!!!

majic
12-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by rbart4506

And once again I shake my head and wonder why people consistentally drive until the light comes on....I understand once in a while, but all the time makes no sense to me...

som ppl skydive som eppl drive till it reaches E :D

no but seriously.. someone who fills up at 1/4 tank all the timewill fill up 4 times while i fill up 3.. 1) it\'s time.. 2) it\'s winter and getting cold.. and 3) sometimes it\'s inconvenient to do so

oh well, as with everything to each their own.. now i know not to do more than 50km from when the light goes on. and i know it\'ll still push it... it\'s time to invest in a gas can :D

Xenon
12-16-2004, 04:04 PM

i\'m gonna sue mazda ;) for making me stand outside in the cold.. and emotional scarring from the incident and humiliation from all the drive-bys honking and pointing and laughing.. :p

I don\'t think you can... it says in the manual that it is unwise to continue driving below the 1/4 point without plans to fill the tank. They did warn you :p Hence it was neglagence on your part and not theirs.

AfterBurner
12-16-2004, 04:55 PM
... it\'s time to invest in a gas can :D

How bout some common sense.:sarc

majic
12-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Xenon

I don\'t think you can... it says in the manual that it is unwise to continue driving below the 1/4 point without plans to fill the tank. They did warn you :p Hence it was neglagence on your part and not theirs.

are you for REAL???? relax man.. ppl here are waaayyy uptight..

majic
12-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by AfterBurner

another one.. jeez.. how many times do i need to mention that i learned my lesson?? you ppl need to take some things with a grain of salt.. so maybe it\'s you who\'s lacking common sense..

AfterBurner
12-17-2004, 10:07 AM

another one.. jeez.. how many times do i need to mention that i learned my lesson?? you ppl need to take some things with a grain of salt.. so maybe it\'s you who\'s lacking common sense..

It\'s hard to understand how you can treat your 3 that way. It\'s like starving your kid just to see how long before they pass out.:(

I certainly hope you learned your lesson, for your cars sake:D :D :p

majic
12-17-2004, 10:26 AM

It\'s hard to understand how you can treat your 3 that way. It\'s like starving your kid just to see how long before they pass out.:(

i don\'t have kids.. they would have to deserve to eat ;) j/k

i already apologised to her.. rubbed her.. played some nice music and will give her a bath this weekend.. :D so let\'s just leave it at either my miscalculation due to excessive stop and go.. or my tank being actually 51L!!! done..

peace..

civiclad
12-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by rbart4506

I agree with rbart!

Xenon
12-17-2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Xenon

are you for REAL???? relax man.. ppl here are waaayyy uptight..

Of course i\'m not \"for real\" :p you think I\'d care? hehe I was just being a smart a$$. Who\'s the uptight one now :sarc

profusion
12-17-2004, 10:16 PM
...ok so lesson learned dont drive on empty. Thank you for learing that when the light goes on it means get more gas. =)

zRqTz
12-19-2004, 12:51 AM
ohhhhhh! so THAT\'s what it means!

Illmatic
12-20-2004, 02:52 PM

i already apologised to her.. rubbed her.. played some nice music and will give her a bath this weekend.. :D so let\'s just leave it at either my miscalculation due to excessive stop and go.. or my tank being actually 51L!!! done..

peace..

Wow Majic...that was funny and creepy at the same time...

bluntman
12-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Illmatic

peace..

Wow Majic...that was funny and creepy at the same time...

http://people.uncw.edu/DaviesM/EDN%20318/daviesm.EDN318_Photos/boy-loving-car.jpg

majic
12-20-2004, 03:06 PM
LMAO!!! that\'s exactly what happened.. heh.. :D :D :D

Xenon
12-20-2004, 09:40 PM
hehe reminds me of that RX-8 commercial where they guy hugs his car and the passenger door and the \"freestyle\" door closes in to hug him back.

kl7402001
01-26-2005, 10:26 AM
umm .. alittle off track ... but since its not really 55L .. when we want to calculate our gasmilage what do we use ? .. 55L?50L?51L?49L? ... or u guys have a better way than KM divided by tank volume?

majic
01-26-2005, 10:30 AM
ummm ..

1) record mileage when tank is full..
2) drive
3) fill up
4) record mileage
5) record liters filled up
6) liters/km * 100

kl7402001
01-26-2005, 10:35 AM
thx oh wise one ... but instead of recording the mileage I think the trip meter would be easier

majic
01-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by kl7402001

thx oh wise one ... but instead of recording the mileage I think the trip meter would be easier

same shit different pile..

MAZDA Kitten
01-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by kl7402001

LOL i think he was just trying to be helpful http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/fragend/confused-smiley-003.gif

kl7402001
01-28-2005, 07:25 PM
haha sorry .. I think my pile will stink more .. thanks mazda kitten .. just thought u don\'t have to minus .. sorry again

myko
04-11-2005, 02:04 AM
just thought i\'d leave my two cents...

on a drive back from michigan a few weekends ago, i guess i underestimated the amount of gas i had left in my tank and the speed at which i was comsumin\' fuel (and since i had friends ridin\' with me, settlin\' the gas bill would\'ve been better in cdn bucks), so i decided to wait until after i crossed the border before fillin\' up... well, smarty me, there\'s hardly any gas stations between sarnia and london, and even less that are open at midnight on a saturday. the low-fuel light goes on with more than 100 km to london, so i know i won\'t make it all the way back. as many of you have noticed and mentioned, the fuel comsumption is pretty high, given that it\'s a pretty small car.

anyway, i keep drivin\', watching the fuel meter drop steadily until it goes past the \'empty\' line. i exit one or two ramps hopin\' to see some street lights, but i get none of it. i finally get desperate, and i turn off at the next exit (strathroy, population: about 13000), which said there were some pumps (cdn tire and somethin\' else). as expected, the pump at CT was closed, but luckily, there was an OPP office with an idling cruiser in the driveway (at first the office door was locked, and on it, it said somethin\' like, \"if the office is closed, please use the phone next to you\", ha ha ha - of course, at that moment, i wasn\'t very amused). anyway, searched out the cruiser\'s officer, and he pointed me to the next station, down a few blocks at a 24-hour 7-eleven. thank goodness for the OPP and the 7-eleven ladies, or else i would\'ve been spendin\' the night in the CT gas station.

so when i was fillin\' up, i filled it up to 53.5L. like most of you, i thought the tank was smaller than 55, but after that night, i think it\'s closer to 55 than 51... well, at least i hope, or else i would\'ve been runnin\' on fumes...