PDA

View Full Version : violent vibration when going over 80km

kyfe
12-24-2004, 05:58 PM
So my girl & I were driving X-mas ever and everything is fine....

then I got onto the highway, started to accelerate and once I hit 80km, I get this massive violent shaking amongst the whole car, it was so bad I had to pull over onto the shoulder and inspect, I was thinking maybe a flat or something but no, nothing.

I pull into the gas station off the highway to give a closer look, everything reads fine, everything looks fine. So I shut of the car and call mazda to leave a message so I can take it in on Monday.

NOw to clarify, this car has never been in an accident nor has it ever hit a curb or anything else....My car despite the Km\'s is more than babied

anyone have an idea what might cause something like this to happen...

needless to say I\'m pissed cause if itès the fuel pump I had them replace that @ my 30K service....

Any and all suggestions are welcome,

Happy holidays and drive safe :)

Kyfe

MajesticBlueNTO
12-24-2004, 06:05 PM
check your rims, if there is snow and/or ice on it, it will mess up the balance of the wheel and cause those vibrations.

take your car through a car wash to get a bulk of the ice chunks off and see if that does anything.

majic
12-24-2004, 06:33 PM
that shoudl fix it.. newlook and i had a very similar experiences.. today when all the snow/ice melted off the steelies, speeds of 100kph+ felt very solid

EDIT: we discussed it briefly here (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1348#18315)

Newlook
12-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Yesterday after the snow storm I got some snow and ice inside my rims. I had some more than normal vibration on my way home but it wasn\'t too bad.

This morning on my way to work, my car vibrated like crazy when I did faster than 70km/h. I figured it must be the ice and snow on the inner part of the rims. There was so much snow that it filled up the space between the rim and the caliper/rotor.

After work before I left the parking lot, I used a screw driver and remove/losen the ice/snow inside my rims, plus the sun it helped a lot. Didn\'t wash the car (as the roads are still very slushy) and it was all good tonight, no more vibration.

Mayhem
12-24-2004, 10:32 PM
yesterday after the big snowfall in Hamilton, my car had the same problem. It was buried in a foot of snow and it rained later, so I had a lot of ice buildup in the wheels. I took it on the highway and got such violent vibrations I stopped as well to check. Anyways, I took it to a do it yourself carwash and sprayed out the snow and stuff from the rims, now it\'s back to it\'s normal self. So I guess it was just the wheels being off balance from the snow.

firstmazda
12-25-2004, 10:10 AM
What a relief, so THAT\'s what that was. Freaked the hell outta me!!
I was pi**ed too \'cause I had just gotten my 32K a few days before that.

Okay, now I know.

kyfe
12-26-2004, 09:32 AM
LOL, thanks so much everyone. I was pretty freaked out when it happened. I have never had a car shake like that, it was like I was off roading or something. After I cleaned out the rims everything went back to normal...

Now I can enjoy my Boxing day,

Kyfe

Effin Itai
02-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Had the same problem! I only have 8800k. It happened 2 months ago and then went away. Same problem came back last week. Took it to the dealer and they couldn\'t find a problem. One of my tires was of balance and so they repaired it. My brother-in-law had the same problem with the vibrations and he said it was just ice inside the rim. It\'s a scary sound for anyone to notice but it is a relief to know what the problem is.
Later

MAZDA Kitten
02-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Phew thank god its nothing serious. I experienced the same thing this morning. Very scary indeed. My poor baby was outside last night :(