PDA

View Full Version : Viper Alarm

M34ME
12-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Just bought A Viper Alarm and remote starter. Tired of getting into a cold car. This is the one that has lots of sensors and has the pager, pretty high tech. Anyway it\'s getting installed tuesday. Peel Auto radio is doing it in brampton (where mazda sends people) abd it wont void the warranty.

S.F.W.
12-28-2004, 09:19 PM
how much is the remote starter costing you installed? I\'ve been toying with getting one.

M34ME
12-29-2004, 09:46 PM
The Viper Alarm/Starter was a Gift, but before Christmas I was looking around and found the same one I got (2-way alarm/starter) installed by a shop Mazda sends their clients to for around the $700 mark. There are cheaper ones, but the features this thing has makes it worth the money in my eyes.

lukel90
01-06-2005, 09:36 PM
If someone wants to steal your car...they will..no alarm will stop that...700 bucks for a oversensitive alarm...if its a gift that great, but owning one on my last car, its definately not worth the money..

just my .02

swales
01-07-2005, 10:26 AM
If someone wants to steal your car...they will..no alarm will stop that...700 bucks for a oversensitive alarm...if its a gift that great, but owning one on my last car, its definately not worth the money..

I don\'t think you can just go and call it an oversensitive alarm. I\'ve got an alarm on my 3 and the sensitivity is down low so I don\'t get false alarms but if some punk opens the door, trunk, hood it will go off and page me. Obviously, if someone wants your car they\'re going to take it, but most cars are just broken into by local punks looking for stuff to steal. Also, my alarm and the Viper M34ME has is also a car starter so it helps keep the car\'s interior warm or cold :-)

lukel90
01-07-2005, 11:57 PM
your right my bad...didnt mean to start anything. the only thing is the one i had i could adjust the sensitivity and on low the stupid thing would go off all the time...sorry dude, one bad experience with alarms and im biased to say they are too sensitive. Yours is probably better then mine was, i remember my install was a bitch so good luck installing it if your doing it yourself..what model did you get

M34ME
01-08-2005, 10:51 PM
I have the Viper 791XV, it\'s top of the line. I agree if someone wants the car it\'s as good as gone, but having friends with stereo\'s stolen and coats and all I dont want to be one of them, I think an alarm will stop those. Plus I\'m an electrician and I carry expensive tools in my trunk so it\'s just a little something to make me not worry so much. The best part of the whole thing is that I now have a trunk pop button ( got a solenoid installed ) and a remote starter, bye-bye cold car ( in the winter ) and bye-bye Hot car (in the summer). I found out how much parents paid for the gift, just under $600 installed. I was looking at them before Christmas but was undecided weather or not to spend the coin.

lukel90
01-09-2005, 04:12 AM
sounds cool. great price too. i know i had a b**** installing it., but then again im no electrician. hope the alarm does its job, as i\'d hate to read a thread \"S***, my alarm didnt go off, car got broken into\". my first car in high school got broken into. i lost only 50 bucks and a deck, s***iest feeling in the world.

Edited for language

Aud1o_Fr33k
07-05-2005, 11:52 PM
damn a 791 lol thos retail for a good 700-800 on their own without install lol i just got a 5000 put in my car paid 360 installed gonna get the remote starter too another 100 bucks or so

whodilly
07-09-2005, 09:59 PM
ohh remote starter!! cool!

I\'m gonna get one before the winter so that I can truly enjoy the benefits... maybe I\'ll wait for a few days and freeze my a-- off and then get one so that I am REALLY happy that i spent the money.

right now i\'m eyeing some rims :D

edit:
BTW what\'s so great about this alarm? Are those compustar one\'s any good? I know they\'re a bit cheaper.

PlatMS6
07-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by M34ME

I have the Viper 791XV, it\'s top of the line. I agree if someone wants the car it\'s as good as gone, but having friends with stereo\'s stolen and coats and all I dont want to be one of them, I think an alarm will stop those. Plus I\'m an electrician and I carry expensive tools in my trunk so it\'s just a little something to make me not worry so much. The best part of the whole thing is that I now have a trunk pop button ( got a solenoid installed ) and a remote starter, bye-bye cold car ( in the winter ) and bye-bye Hot car (in the summer). I found out how much parents paid for the gift, just under $600 installed. I was looking at them before Christmas but was undecided weather or not to spend the coin.

how much to get the trunk release and can it be done without the alarm with the stock remote...ie program it so that u press unlock then panic and it pops the trunk???? if it can be done that would be the best mod for this thing...i open the trunk at least 3 times per day

M34ME
10-16-2005, 09:24 PM
I\'m not sure if you can do it without the alarm, but you dont need such an expensive alarm/remote starter. You could probably get one installed for about $400 with a trunk pop solenoid.

x-cimo
11-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Does the remote started \"bypass\" the stock inition security (the chip in the key that prevent the car from starting). I hear that it was pretty good on the 3, so in this case I will just get the alarm system (Viper 5000) instead of the alarm + remote start..

Thanks!!

Hanif
11-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 2004mz3
how much to get the trunk release and can it be done without the alarm with the stock remote...ie program it so that u press unlock then panic and it pops the trunk???? if it can be done that would be the best mod for this thing...i open the trunk at least 3 times per day

Same here...I also open the trunk a lot since I put my backpack/gymbag/groceries/etc..in the trunk. I\'m very anal about putting stuff on the leather :)

M34ME
11-16-2005, 09:49 PM
The Guy that installed my alarm was able to keep the factory alarm (gt model) enabled while adding the viper security/start system to it as well. When the alarm goes off the horn and sirens go off, parking lights and headlights falsh, you can see both alarms working, but the stock alarm doesnt have alot of things, like a hood switch, i dont think it monitors the trunk even, a shock sensor. Anyway In my opinion it was worth every penny, and any car I ever own will have one.

Hanif
11-18-2005, 03:46 PM
I have the Viper 791XV, it\'s top of the line.....The best part of the whole thing is that I now have a trunk pop button ( got a solenoid installed ) and a remote starter.....I found out how much parents paid for the gift, just under $600 installed.

The Guy that installed my alarm was able to keep the factory alarm (gt model) enabled while adding the viper security/start system to it as well. When the alarm goes off the horn and sirens go off, parking lights and headlights falsh, you can see both alarms working, but the stock alarm doesnt have alot of things, like a hood switch, i dont think it monitors the trunk even, a shock sensor. Anyway In my opinion it was worth every penny, and any car I ever own will have one.

Where did you get it installed?? I\'m really considering buying a starter/alarm combo within the next month and would also want to be able to pop the trunk too.

Hanif
11-18-2005, 03:48 PM
btw, I\'ve read about a few brands including Viper, Compustar, and Autostart. Since I\'ve never had a starter/alarm before, I\'m not too familiar with them. I\'ve read about some 900MHZ ones and am just wondering if you could provide me with some more info or sites you know which have any info that could help me.

M34ME
11-18-2005, 06:37 PM
I got my alarm/starter installed by peel auto radio in brampton (Kenedy just north of steeles). I dont have anyinformation or websites to give you, but if you look aroumd and investigate the features of the different brands it should help, also try looking up some reviews and see what complaints people have had. I know I have had no problems with my viper one and am very pleased with it, I would defineately recommend it.

Hanif
11-23-2005, 06:38 PM
OK thanks. I will do that.

On a side note, I can\'t believe it\'s cold & snowing now :(