PDA

View Full Version : Computer Cut Tints Recommendation?

Pimpin_29y
01-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Hello all,

I just ordered my 2005 m3 sedan last week and was told I have to wait about 4-6 weeks.

I was hoping to get a good start by looking into getting some nice tints. Does anyone have a good cpu cut tinting place to recommend? I really don\'t want to risk uneven cuts or window scratches from an exacto...

Regards,

majic
01-22-2005, 09:53 AM
FX AUTO - read my review (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=16&page=5)

Pimpin_29y
01-22-2005, 03:25 PM
I just finished reading your review and FX sounds like a good place. But do they cut the tint by hand or is it computer cut?

majic
01-22-2005, 03:32 PM
computer cut (3M bra at least) i didn\'t see them cut the tints but i\'d assume they do both. give them a call and see :D

Pimpin_29y
01-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Would you happen to have their contact info or a website I can refer to?:)

Mayhem
01-22-2005, 04:14 PM
I don\'t know where you are, but these guys did my tint

www.protint.ca

They gave me a tour of their place. Really professional and hightech. Everything is computer cut, tints and the clear bra stuff. I got everything done there. They also do heated seats if you\'re interested.

majic
01-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Blue_Dragon

Would you happen to have their contact info or a website I can refer to?:)

i see u\'r a n00b :D so i\'ll go easy on you :D

if you follow the link in my reply you will see my review. if you look there the first bold text \"FX AUTO\" (of the review) is the link to their site.. :)

but i\'m sure you didn\'t read the article b/c i list the website and contact person in there :D pretty much two guys running the shop.. cheers!

Pimpin_29y
01-22-2005, 04:32 PM
I did read ur review but didn\'t realize the links were in bold...and I asked for the contact info not the guys name:p

majic
01-22-2005, 04:40 PM
i kill u :p

i\'m in a good mood so..

www.fxauto.com

MARKHAM LOCATION
11 Heritage Road
Markham, Ontario
L3P 1M3
(905) 471-7555

HOURS OF OPERATION:
MONDAY-FRIDAY: 8:30am - 5:30pm
SATURDAYS: By Appointment Only

OSHAWA LOCATION
1333 Boundary Road,
Unit 20-21,
Oshawa, Ontario
L1J 6Z7
(905) 723-1155

talk to wayne or martin and tell them u\'r from the club and you can get the clear bra and tints in a deal package for $375

is this enough info? :D

Pimpin_29y
01-22-2005, 04:45 PM
LOL! I got all the info when I clicked on the link u suggested...
Much thanks for all ur help Majic!:D :D :D

chaser
01-24-2005, 11:58 AM
But do they cut the tint by hand or is it computer cut?

The film is machine-cut ... the machine is right beside the front desk if it hasn\'t been moved ..

Xenon
01-27-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by chaser

But do they cut the tint by hand or is it computer cut?

The film is machine-cut ... the machine is right beside the front desk if it hasn\'t been moved ..

I can support that statement :)

FX Auto uses a computer controlled machine to cut the tints. This allows them to get very close to the edge of the glass. No window on my car has a larger gap (from edge of tint to edge of window) than 1/2 cm.

I would also highly recommend FX Auto for Tinting and rustproofing. Be sure to mention the Car club. Wayne will set you up with a nice deal.

Big__M
02-01-2005, 07:55 AM
I just went to FX Auto in Oshawa yesterday. I got 35% on front and rear sides, and 15% on rear window. I purch. premium tint and it was 189 NO TAX!!!!! (Right now they are running a no tax campiagn until Sat Feb 5th.

The tint is amazing, the quality is so good. I just wish it was a bit warmer so the tint would cure faster.

Mike.

Pimpin_29y
02-01-2005, 11:38 PM
I went to FX in Markam today...paid a little more but it looks good:D I got 30 all around...

Big__M
02-02-2005, 10:08 PM
I can see a couple small areas where the is water bubbles. Will those eventually dry up and go away? Is there any way to speed up the process?

Hanif
02-04-2005, 12:07 AM
blue_dragon.......i ordered my mazda 3 gt in WINNING BLUE on dec. 4....picked it up on jan 26..........that\'s almost 2 MONTHS!!........be glad your only waiting 4-6 weeks.......well, i could have waited less but i really wanted the winning blue colour and it\'s a new colour for the sedan in 2005 so i had to wait......

about the tint.......are their samples lying around at FX so i can see how dark it\'ll look before it\'s actually on the windows?.......cuz i\'ve never had a tint before and would like to know how dark it\'ll look first

majic
02-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Hanif

about the tint.......are their samples lying around at FX so i can see how dark it\'ll look before it\'s actually on the windows?.......cuz i\'ve never had a tint before and would like to know how dark it\'ll look first

yes, they have 15%, 20%, 30%, 35% IIRC already put on a glass pane so that you can compare the darknesses

i think it\'s best if you meet one of the members here who has a timt on their car b/c it looks a bit different when you get it put on. i opted for 30% all around and i love it - i got the comfort one (a bit less shiny than premium)

Hanif
02-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by majic

yes, they have 15%, 20%, 30%, 35% IIRC already put on a glass pane so that you can compare the darknesses

i think it\'s best if you meet one of the members here who has a timt on their car b/c it looks a bit different when you get it put on. i opted for 30% all around and i love it - i got the comfort one (a bit less shiny than premium)

thanks majic......that\'s exactly what i was thinking.....but then i figure that i don\'t want to bother anyone just to see their tint......my friend said she put 5% on her black \'04 acura el....but after reading a few threads on here...i think she is a.) lying....or b.) has no idea.........i asked her again....she said she put 5% on the back 2 windows and rear windshield and a lighther one on the front 2 windows......but still.........i\'ve read a few threads and i\'m seeing people putting on 35/30/25/20......i don\'t think i read of anyone putting less than 20/15 on their windows......even on the back!.......so her 5%....is suspect!

i was planning on giving FX a call today to see if i can get it done on monday...cuz i\'ve read their busy on weekends....

majic....what about paint protection/undercoat (sound deadener)/leather protection?....does FX offer these services as well?........one last thing....i live in etob. and i don\'t mind driving to markham to get all of this done as i heard one person from oakville went to FX and was very satisfied with their service......i think that was the same person who wayne took to his house just to upload pics online......although i could be mistaken :p

majic
02-04-2005, 09:21 AM

thanks majic......that\'s exactly what i was thinking.....but then i figure that i don\'t want to bother anyone just to see their tint......

np.. i almost did ;) most of the members here are fairly accomodating :D but then i just went on a whim and 30% all around isn\'t too dark and gives SOME privacy and sun protection. check out the pix (they don\'t do justice) of my tint (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1356)

my friend said she put 5% on her black \'04 acura el....but after reading a few threads on here...i think she is a.) lying....or b.) has no idea.........i asked her again....she said she put 5% on the back 2 windows and rear windshield and a lighther one on the front 2 windows......but still.........i\'ve read a few threads and i\'m seeing people putting on 35/30/25/20......i don\'t think i read of anyone putting less than 20/15 on their windows......even on the back!.......so her 5%....is suspect!

since you can have ANY tint you want on the rear windows, she might not by lying ;) but up here i think 15% is lowest yuou\'ll see on daily basis.. down south you\'ll see more of the 5% \'limo\' tint on the bling bling rides :D

majic....what about paint protection/undercoat (sound deadener)/leather protection?....does FX offer these services as well?........one last thing....i live in etob. and i don\'t mind driving to markham to get all of this done as i heard one person from oakville went to FX and was very satisfied with their service......i think that was the same person who wayne took to his house just to upload pics online......although i could be mistaken :p

that was me :D the service was just spectacular.. so well worth the trip to markham ;) BUT i would NOT do paint protection/undercoat/leather protection and all that junk. that\'s my opinion tho. i think it\'s just a waste of your $

when i asked wayne about rustproofing he said they do NOT drill holes, but at the same time he said that if i\'m planning in keeping the car 3-5yrs, not to bother with it. others will have a different opinion. so really http://sawicki.netrulon.com/images/smileys/dunno.gif it\'s up to you.

the best would be to giv ethem a call and ask them those questions themselves. they are honest and PURELY customer service oriented (oh yah and they do quality work ;)

Hanif
02-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by majic

that was me :D

hahaha are you serious??....the one thing i read that i remembered was actually your story...wicked......i\'ll give them a call sometime either later today or tomorrow/next week....and talk to our dear friend wayne......i\'ve read about him so much that he\'s like a brother to us already :)

one last thing i forgot to ask before......what is the legal limit for tinting??....for the front/back/etc.......basically, how low can you go?....your tint looks good...how is the night driving...as that is what i\'m most concerned about.......i think i might get a grade darker than yours......so i guess 20.....but i\'ll have to check out their samples first if/when i go down there....

majic
02-04-2005, 11:15 AM
yeah.. just go to wayne.. tell him how you saw the UBER story on here.. say you\'re part of TM3 and u\'ll get the deal..

as for legal stuff.. ONTARIO law is vague.. the polic officer is supposed to be able to tell your sex/skin colour (it\'s posted somewhere on this board but i foget where - i think a post by K Dawg One - found it (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1230#17249)) 35% is the theoretical limit. rear, there\'s no limit - you can paint it black :p

try this search feature (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/search.php) when in doubt next time ;)

result (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/search.php?perpage=20&sortby=dateline&sort=DESC&q= tint&qauthor=k+dawg+one&forums%5B%5D=all&matchmess age=1&action=display)

Whos ur dadd
02-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Has anyone done a darker tint for the rear windows, with a touch lighter shade for the fronts? I\'m thinking 30 to 35% fronts and darker in the back and wondered what it would look like.

All my cars have been uniform tint, but I guess there is some advantage to darker tints in the back - easier to store them gold bars, jewelry and laptops without fear of Mazda3_Mike getting to them.

Indusbreed
02-04-2005, 03:23 PM
easier to store them gold bars, jewelery and laptops without fear of Mazda3_Mike getting to them.
LMAO.....:D :D

Hanif
02-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Whos ur dadd

All my cars have been uniform tint, but I guess there is some advantage to darker tints in the back - easier to store them gold bars, jewelry and laptops without fear of Mazda3_Mike getting to them.

gold bars??.....yo, gimme a few so i can buy my escalade now instead of in 10 years..... :p

Hanif
02-04-2005, 04:15 PM
majic.....thanks for your help...i\'ll give wayne a call to see if i can get it done early next week...

SwooshICE
02-06-2005, 12:07 AM
hey hanif
let me know about the price

i wanna get mine done soon too

thanks!! :)

Hanif
02-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by SwooshICE

hey hanif
let me know about the price

i wanna get mine done soon too

thanks!! :)

will do......imma call them tomorrow morning (monday).....gonna ask them if i can go tomorrow to get it done as well...since i haven\'t been even driving the car since i haven\'t gotten it rustproofed yet...been sitting in the garage for over a week now....lol...i\'ll post how much it will be after i call them...or after i come back if i forget........but i\'ve read that the llumar/tint package is $375 cash......dunno about the rustproofing.....so i\'ll post that sometime tomorrow (monday)....

hey....swooshice......i noticed you joined the club on my bday.....jan 9 :D :D :D .....

SwooshICE
02-07-2005, 01:31 PM
hey....swooshice......i noticed you joined the club on my bday.....jan 9 .....

hahaha :)

Hanif
02-07-2005, 02:29 PM
aight....swooshice......i just got off the phone with wayne.....i called them earlier but wayne wasn\'t around and martin said he never heard of the $375 deal for tint/llumar........but anyways.....wayne said that for us (TM3)...it IS $375....for any kind of tint..and the llumar bra.......he said most people choose the premium tint.....and he does have samples lying around on glass so you can see how dark of a tint you want and how it will look like.....he also said that there are cars lying around too so you can actually see the tint on actual cars as well....

as for the rustproofing......i\'m getting mine done their (FX) as well.....they have 2 deals for TM3:

1. $200 for rustproofing and undercoat
2. $350 for rustproofing, undercoat, paint protection, and leather protector.

....i\'m not sure which one to get.......but i am getting it done there.......i\'m going at 11am tomorrow......i think i\'m gonna get #2.....but i\'ll make my final decision on the drive there :p

one thing i should mention......someone posted that @ FX, you need to go annually to get your car resprayed for rustproofing but that isn\'t true......i asked wayne that and he said you have to go back every OTHER year........and it\'s only $50 for the respray...it might be more if you want the paint protection and leather resprayed again as well....but i didn\'t ask him that.......i\'ll ask him that tomorrow when i go....

here is some more info that might help you........i also called Krown and Rust Check...they both use an oil-based film.......FX uses a waxed-base......krown and rust check both are $110+tax and you have to go back every year and it\'s $110+tax every year........all 3 have the same warrenty.......basically lifetime as long as you take it back for the respray every year (2 years for FX)....one last thing.........Krown and Rust Check DO DRILL HOLES....FX DOES NOT!!!.......:D

so........fx is cheaper, doesn\'t drill holes and respray is every 2 years as opposed to every year.........hope that helps you swooshice

SwooshICE
02-07-2005, 07:33 PM
thx hanif! :)
sounds good

i think i\'ll get mine done when i can find the time hehe

Hanif
02-08-2005, 09:48 PM
np..........but be warned....it will take a while if you get all of it done........i opted for everything............rust proofing/underbody/paint/leather/tint/llumar bra............came to $725 CASH.......if not cash.....they will charge tax.....i dropped the car off at 11am....and martin called at 4:15 saying it was done........

martin said i can\'t roll down the windows for 3 days........and the bra might take even upto a month to completely settle in.........

overall......wicked job!

chaser
02-09-2005, 12:37 AM
one thing i should mention......someone posted that @ FX, you need to go annually to get your car resprayed for rustproofing but that isn\'t true......i asked wayne that and he said you have to go back every OTHER year........and it\'s only $50 for the respray...

It was true back a few years. Re-spray every year for $40.

Also, I\'d leave the windows up for more than 3 days as it\'s wet and not sunny (warm) now ...

BTW, which % you opted for?

Hanif
02-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by chaser

Also, I\'d leave the windows up for more than 3 days as it\'s wet and not sunny (warm) now ...

BTW, which % you opted for?

oh yeah.....forgot to mention that......guess i was too tired from being out all day yesterday.......dropped the car off at 11am and basically vegetated at markville mall until martin called at 4:15 saying that their done........yo...for those that live in the east end.......you guys gotta check out a store named spencer.....i\'ve never heard of that store until yesterday......i\'ve never seen that in any west end mall (ie. woodbine, square one, sherway, yorkdale).....although at woodbine they do have a similar store called The Party Hut.....

neways......back on topic.....after talking to martin about what tint to get.......the legal limit for the front.....and my concerns for night driving since i\'ve never had a tint before....and the fact that i don\'t want it looking too wierd having 2 different % on my car.......i opted for 35% in the front.....and 20% on the back 2 windows and rear windshield.......that way....it\'s not that much of a difference.......plus although martin said to keep the windows up for at least 3 days......i told him imma keep it up for at least a week......

besides.......i won\'t even be tempted to roll down the windows anyways......it\'s not like it\'s summer.......lol

im gonna take pics once it stops snowing and the tint fully adheres to the windows...