PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Proxes4 vs Kumho Ecsta ASX

///M
01-25-2005, 02:39 AM
Toyo Proxes4 vs Kumho Ecsta ASX

Which one should I get for summer? I don\'t want a dedicated summer tires because of treadwear concerns. From what I\'ve read the Proxes4 is grippier, but it also wears a lot faster.

Also, the ASX is very inexpensive in comparison. I can get them for US$99 each from Tirerack, whereas the Proxes4 run $235 each from 1010tires.com.

majic
01-25-2005, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by autoexe

Toyo Proxes4 vs Kumho Ecsta ASX

Which one should I get for summer? I don\'t want a dedicated summer tires because of treadwear concerns.

why not get a summer only tire that has UTQG of 300+ or so.. i know that\'s less than ASX\'s 420 but still a summer only tire, more performance oriented.. although i\'ve read pretty good reviews on the ASXs.

one thing is for sure. you can either have a HIGH performance tire. or a WELL wearing tire. REALLY hard to find both. you can probably get a nice mix with the ASX.

MajesticBlueNTO
01-25-2005, 08:47 AM
1010tires.com is overpriced.

why not try tires23.com?

it would probably be good to post what tire size you\'re looking for in case someone comes across a deal and can forward you the info.

in any case, if you do a lot of driving, the Toyo has a 5 year road hazard warranty...one of the reasons for its higher cost vs. the kumho\'s. i\'d get the proxes4

majic
01-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

1010tires.com is overpriced.

why not try tires23.com?

it would probably be good to post what tire size you\'re looking for in case someone comes across a deal and can forward you the info.

in any case, if you do a lot of driving, the Toyo has a 5 year road hazard warranty...one of the reasons for its higher cost vs. the kumho\'s. i\'d get the proxes4

at least 1010 tires/tirerack give you an idea of what you can get, roughly in what ballpark and which tires are cheaper than others :p also you can check out the threads.

as MajesticBlueN, ask tires23.com for some info, as well as get in touch with E-spec as he\'s been pretty good with prices and service.

I was under the impression that you had to purchase road hazzard warranty separately from the tires, so that would be an extra expense. or does this only apply in USA? (eg. tirerack?) is this why tires in canada are higher (due to RHW included in the price of a tire?)

EDIT: aaah so it looks like toyos offer RHW with tire purchase (hence a bit higher cost) maybe this is why tirerack doesn\'t sell them? :p

Whos ur dadd
01-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Get dedicated summers. As long as you don\'t smoke \'em daily, they should last for a few seasons, especially if you have dedicated winters as well.

Toyo T1s or Kumho MXs are whatcha need...

We should get a group buy ready for the spring...

MajesticBlueNTO
01-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Whos ur dadd

Get dedicated summers. As long as you don\'t smoke \'em daily, they should last for a few seasons, especially if you have dedicated winters as well.

Toyo T1s or Kumho MXs are whatcha need...

We should get a group buy ready for the spring...

+1

out of those, i\'d choose T1-S (i did :) )....for a tire that was released in 1999, it is still kicking ass and at the top of the list for performance tires.

for a better gauge of what tire prices are like check www.tiretrends.com, their pricing is always lower than 1010tires.com and close to what you\'d pay with a local store like Steelcase or Nantucket.

chaser
01-25-2005, 12:16 PM
just wondering how often a normal driver can make 100% use of the T1-S/T1-R in daily drive?? Unless we take them on track or boost up the power to 200hp+ ... :p
but one good thing i\'ve heard about T1-S other than it\'s performance is its lightweight ... lighter weight on wheels improves acceleration/braking/handling ...

Other than Proxes 4 and ASX, Fuzion ZRi (by Bridgestone) is a good choice. Although it doesn\'t come in 205/50/17 ... 215/45/17 or 225/45/17 should fit w/o problem ...

Dr Butcher
01-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by chaser

Other than Proxes 4 and ASX, Fuzion ZRi (by Bridgestone) is a good choice. Although it doesn\'t come in 205/50/17 ... 215/45/17 or 225/45/17 should fit w/o problem ...

+1

I went with the ZRi in the 225/45R17. I have no complaints at all, they\'re great in wet and dry and road noise isn\'t too bad. Best of all they were pretty reasonable for a 17\" performance tire. The only downside is that the rim/tire combo I chose feels a bit on the heavy side. I\'ll have to weigh them this spring before I mount them again. :)

majic
01-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Dr Butcher

+1

I went with the ZRi in the 225/45R17. I have no complaints at all, they\'re great in wet and dry and road noise isn\'t too bad. Best of all they were pretty reasonable for a 17\" performance tire. The only downside is that the rim/tire combo I chose feels a bit on the heavy side. I\'ll have to weigh them this spring before I mount them again. :)

so i\'ve been looking at a bunch of tires and all of the 225/45/17s i looked at require the (minimum) rim width of 7\". our stock rims are 6.5 so wouldn\'t that be \'running it out of spec\' with possible problems in the future??

///M
01-25-2005, 02:25 PM
I\'m looking for 225/40/18.

Treadwear is most definately a concern as I drive at least 3000km a month. My car is barely 8 months and I\'m at the 27000km mark already.

The sites I looked at were just for for giving me a ballpark figure of the cost - I\'ll probably end up getting them locally at Steelcase, Tires23 or Espec.

From what I\'ve read the Toyo seems superior in all aspects to the ASX apart from treadwear and snow traction (which is a moot point as I have winter tires). But the ASX is a LOT cheaper.

A friend of mine told me to try Falken...hmm

Dr Butcher
01-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by majic

so i\'ve been looking at a bunch of tires and all of the 225/45/17s i looked at require the (minimum) rim width of 7\". our stock rims are 6.5 so wouldn\'t that be \'running it out of spec\' with possible problems in the future??

Yeah make sure the tire you choose fits in the recommended rim width. The ROH Fury is 7\" wide so the 225/45R17 is within spec. I believe the 225/45R17 fits a 7\"-8\" rim so the Fuzion won\'t fit the stock 17\".

autoexe, I was originally interested in a set of Falken Ziex ZE-512\'s before I went to a dedicated summer. They seem pretty reasonable and look pretty nice.

http://www.1010tires.com/images/tires/falken_Ziex_large.jpg

Also, see if you can find a set of Continental ContiExtremeContact, they\'ve gotten some great ratings as a high performance all season tire. They won\'t break the bank either considering you\'re looking for an 18\" tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/conti/co_xtreme_contact_ci2_l.jpg

Whos ur dadd
01-25-2005, 04:16 PM

just wondering how often a normal driver can make 100% use of the T1-S/T1-R in daily drive?? Unless we take them on track or boost up the power to 200hp+ ... :p

It\'s all about safety margins :D. Good tires and brakes are so much more important than that AEM intake or Magnaflow. In an emergency situation, such as panic stopping, do you want to rely on the Crap Years or on tires that\'ll provide stability, manoeverability and decreased stopping distance? Scrimp on the faux carbon fibre panelling, but don\'t scrimp on good tires.

but one good thing i\'ve heard about T1-S other than it\'s performance is its lightweight ... lighter weight on wheels improves acceleration/braking/handling ...

Great advice - go light!! Buy some heavy bling rims and you\'ll look great, but your handling will suffer big time.

chaser
01-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Whos ur dadd

do you want to rely on the Crap Years or on tires that\'ll provide stability, manoeverability and decreased stopping distance? Scrimp on the faux carbon fibre panelling, but don\'t scrimp on good tires.

Oh, don\'t take me wrong ... i\'m NOT a fan of the RS-As. Better summer tire is already on my To-Buy list ;) I just want to convince myself that I don\'t need the top end UHP tires like T1-S/T1-R, because I don\'t the $$ :p

///M
01-25-2005, 05:25 PM
autoexe, I was originally interested in a set of Falken Ziex ZE-512\'s before I went to a dedicated summer. They seem pretty reasonable and look pretty nice.

IMO the Yokohama Parada is the best looking tire but the reviews say they suck in the rain, and wear very fast.

MajesticBlueNTO
01-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by autoexe

IMO the Yokohama Parada is the best looking tire but the reviews say they suck in the rain, and wear very fast.

why would you buy a tire based on the looks of its tread pattern?

majic
01-25-2005, 11:39 PM

http://www.msprotege.com/vbb225/images/smilies/rice.gif ?

///M
01-26-2005, 12:41 AM

I wouldn\'t, based on the reviews.

chimp
01-27-2005, 12:49 PM
i\'ll add my 2 cents in on this one. i\'ve had a lot of different tires on my few different sets of rims i\'ve had. and saying that i got proxes4 on my rims right now. there 18\'s. i have had nitto both the 455 and 555s and ive been really happy with the proxes so far compared to the nitto\'s. i find from my friends who cheaped out and got kuhmo tires they were disappointed. ive never had tire trouble, knock on wood but my friends have had kumho buldge out the side wall and other stupid stuff. but thats cool i guess it could happen to any tire but the biggest reason i would choose the toyo over the kumbo is the noise factor. the kumho are really loud man. i haven\'t road a car with the kumho spec your talkin about but all the other ones ive been around have been loud. always a constant hum.
i am really happy with the toyo\'s and i find that they are alot better in the rain than nitto\'s i;ve had too.
price wise if you guys could get to a belle tire they usually carry toyo and they have good prices since they are a large company they have high number orders which get you a better price
oh ya and all they see is a few months a year. my car is in the garage for atleast 6 months depending on the spring weather.
if a few of you guys are really interested in getting some toyo\'s in the spring i could talk to my guy in michigan where i get all my tires. and all my buddy\'s in my local car club get there tires too. just let me know and i can see what i can do on getting you guys a deal, swing down my ya for a day and hook up some new tires.

kl7402001
01-27-2005, 10:54 PM
u never said how the proxy\'s are in the snow .. he doesn\'t want a dedicated summer tire that means he is goin to drive it all year round ... how are the proxys in the snow with those crazy treads?

In tirerack.com they have ratings on diff driving conditions and Kumos are rated quite high in snow rain and dry ..and the tread wear is really good too ....too bad they don\'t have toyos on the site so i can compare .. if they are good in snow or if u have snow tires then i say toyos according to what u guys said b4

But if no one knows and driving all year round on the same tires i say kumo

///M
01-27-2005, 11:04 PM
^ The tire\'s not going to be used in the snow. I have Toyo Snowprox S950 for winter.
I don\'t want a dedicated summer tire because of treadwear.