PDA

View Full Version : Are pricey rims worth?

chaser
02-17-2005, 05:17 PM
For instance, is it worth to spend US$390 on SSR Competition while Kosei\\\'s K1-TS is only US$200, both are 17\\\" and weigh around 14 lb? Disregard the style and the \\\"brand-name effect\\\".
(Data taken from tirerack.com)

FLIPDADY
02-18-2005, 08:26 AM
I\'ts really up to you. A lot of people go for looks and some go for the quality and brand. Myself personally would go for the SSR.

chaser
02-18-2005, 09:26 AM
What do you mean by quality? Like, how does it affect the normal daily drive? Are the cheaper rims easier to get damaged/bent when hitting a pothole for example?

FLIPDADY
02-18-2005, 09:30 AM
I remember when BSA came out with their rims they were cheap in both aspects. A lot of rims are made in Taiwan and are knock-offs of higher quality rims. One scrape from a curb or one pothole and these rims were ruined. The SSR\'s are made in Japan and have been used by racers and car tuners for a long time.

majic
02-18-2005, 10:07 AM
but can a \'curb scrape\' on a cheaper rim affect its structural rigidity THAT MUCH MORE than on a more expensive rim?

i guess if rim A and B are both made from the same alloy using the same technique they (in theory) should perform the same (on the road and when hit/scraped). but the manufacturing process (impurities n the materials, uniform design, properly blanaced wheel) can contribute to a good/poor performing wheel.

best would be to get some research done on the wheels you\'re looking at and see what ppl have said about potholes/scuffs and the like. also what do teh manufacturers claim (if anything) about performance after curbing? a bent rim is a bent rim, it\'s best to replace it anyway - i\'m no expert but \'fixing\' it (bending back into shape) can\'t be that good for it and if it can be done it costs quite a bit.

as an aside, i think the 17s are amazing rims for a stock car :D :p

FLIPDADY
02-18-2005, 10:14 AM
I was just speaking from personal experience. I use to sell BSA rims at Honda, they looked good but when a few customers complained about vibration from the wheels the problem was with the rims itself. A poorly constructed rim was the cause in this case. I agree that doing some research on various brands is a good idea. After all it\'s you who is making the purchase.

Speaking of the stock 17\'s, I was in the garage yesterday cleaning up and had a glimpse of my rims just sitting there. Man I wish it was spring already. :(

///M
02-18-2005, 12:49 PM
SSRs are soon going to become collectors items. I read somewhere that SSR went bankrupt.

FLIPDADY
02-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by autoexe

SSRs are soon going to become collectors items. I read somewhere that SSR went bankrupt.
That\'s good and bad.

GOOD
1.) The rims will be collectors items like you said.

BAD
2.) What if you damaged one rim and need a replacement?

chaser
02-18-2005, 02:47 PM
After all, SSR is not something I\'m looking at. I used it as an example. ;)
I have been researching on the aftermarket rims but not much useful review found so far :( . Majic, you\'re truly right. The stock GT rims look very nice and match with the car! This make my task even tough. I\'m looking for some non-5-stoke rim weighs 19 lbs or less (stock is ~22lbs) ... Brand name vs. Knock-off, let\'s fight!

-RJ3-
03-17-2005, 04:34 PM
I\'ve been researching on the Fuzion tires by Bridgestone, and they have this tire design that prevents rims from getting damaged due to curb damage.

Pricey tire but I think it\'s worth it to prevent your prized investment from scratching.

chaser
03-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Yes, many tires now come with some feature called \"rim protector\" or \"rim guard\" to protect the rims from scratching. I\'m suprised that you said Fuzion ZRi pricy. Have you checked w/ Tires23 (Martin)? I got quote for a bit lower than $600 taxes in, which I think it\'s a very good deal.

Still in the process of RIM (Rim-search In Motion) :D

MajesticBlueNTO
03-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by -RJ3-

I\'ve been researching on the Fuzion tires by Bridgestone, and they have this tire design that prevents rims from getting damaged due to curb damage.

Pricey tire but I think it\'s worth it to prevent your prized investment from scratching.

are you looking for the wal-mart special in pricing? :p

the Fuzion ZRi tires were made to compete with the low-priced Kumho 712s.

you want a pricey tire, try Bridgestone S-03, Toyo T1-S and T1-R, Michelin Pilot Sports, etc.

-RJ3-
03-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

Originally posted by -RJ3-

are you looking for the wal-mart special in pricing? :p

the Fuzion ZRi tires were made to compete with the low-priced Kumho 712s.

you want a pricey tire, try Bridgestone S-03, Toyo T1-S and T1-R, Michelin Pilot Sports, etc.

LOL!!!!!! Walmart tires.....Sumotomo LOL!!!!