PDA

View Full Version : Rotten egg smell

FLIPDADY
02-18-2005, 08:21 AM
I\'ve been monotoring this for a few weeks and now it\'s really bothering me. There\'s a nasty rotten egg smell coming from the exhaust after the car is warmed up. I\'m going to bring this issue up next time I go into the dealership. Just wondering if anyone else has come accross this same issue.

Indusbreed
02-18-2005, 08:32 AM
How many clicks do you have now?

MajesticBlueNTO
02-18-2005, 08:44 AM
which brand of gas do you use? could be too much sulphur in your exhaust

FLIPDADY
02-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Indusbreed

How many clicks do you have now?
The car only has 9,200 km on it. I\'ve been using Shell regular gas.

mEtH
02-18-2005, 09:29 AM
You sure its not you warming up? :p

I\'d assume its the gas you use, try one tank on sunoco and see what happens. if nothing after half a tank of that then take it to the dealer. Might wanna try one tank on a higer octane as it runs cleaner, I know it aint good in terms of mileage but its good once in a while.

\"Yah I am having a problem with my 3, it smells like rotten eggs\" :D

FLIPDADY
02-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Yeah I was going to try a higher octane to see the difference but the dealer suggested I switch to Sunoco regular first. If nothing happens than I need a new converter.

Indusbreed
02-18-2005, 09:42 AM
I saw someone having the same issue in mazda3 forums. I will see if i can find it and will post it here.

I would say empty out the tank completely and go for Sunoco and see if it helps.;) ;)

everfeb
02-18-2005, 02:09 PM
FLIPSPEED..there is a bit of a discussion on \"rotten egg/sulpher\" smell on Mazda3Forums/Powerplant/StockIssues/on page 2 of topics..GREAT GAS MILEAGE. Sorry don\'t know
how to get you there from here.
They suggest cat problems and that \"if the front cat is messed up it would affect the 2nd 02 sensor and throw a code. If the rear cat is messed up-the computer would never know about it.\" and that a tech would have to look at it.
Anyway I\'m just the messenger. Wouldn\'t have a clue as to whether there is any validity to this or not.
everfeb

chaser
02-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by everfeb
FLIPSPEED..there is a bit of a discussion on \"rotten egg/sulpher\" smell on Mazda3Forums/Powerplant/StockIssues/on page 2 of topics..GREAT GAS MILEAGE. Sorry don\'t know
how to get you there from here.

Everfeb, I think you mean this (http://www.mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=13260).

I\'ve a similar problem but burning rubber smell. I smell it sometimes when I shut off the engine and step out of the car, since day 1 I picked up my car. I\'ve around 9000Km so far. I don\'t race the engine or giving the clutch a hard time :sarc

everfeb
02-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Yes...thanks ;)

FLIPDADY
02-22-2005, 07:55 AM
Looks like I\'m going to need a new converter. I swtiched gas companies on the weekend and I\'m still at
1/2 a tank and the smell is still there.

MazdaTree
02-22-2005, 11:26 AM
get a high flow one:)

FLIPDADY
02-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by MazdaTree

Yeah I wish, I\'ll be taking advantage of the manufacturer\'s warranty.:p

-RJ3-
02-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Hold off on those beans!!!!! LOL!!!!!

MajesticBlueNTO
02-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

how much is the OEM cat? i\'m guessing ~$600-800

aftermarket high flow one is like $150.

i\'d take advantage of the warranty too :)

usually OEM exhaust components are $$$ ...i remember the OEM y-pipe for my old car was ~$1200, whereas the aftermarket one i got was $250.

FLIPDADY
02-22-2005, 04:20 PM
I think last time I checked the price it was around $900 + for the entire exhaust system. If I\'m not mistaken there are 2 converters on the car so I guess they\'ll have to diagnose which one is bad.

MajesticBlueNTO
02-22-2005, 04:44 PM

I think last time I checked the price it was around $900 + for the entire exhaust system. If I\'m not mistaken there are 2 converters on the car so I guess they\'ll have to diagnose which one is bad.

i think there\'s one cat on the manifold/header...that\'s the one with the O2 sensor before and after it ...if that were bad, i\'m guessing the readings would be off.

and the other cat is on the exhaust but doesn\'t have any sensors for its \"condition\"....and since the exhaust is one piece, you may be getting a whole new exhaust ....w00t :D

man, there\'s gonna be some suspension dropping for your car...eek. by the book, they\'d had to drop the front subframe to get the header out, and they\'d have to drop the rear subframe to get the exhaust out.

here\'s hoping they find out quickly.

FLIPDADY
02-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah I hope it\'s the one in the manifold only. I\'ve seen them install the entire system and they do have to drop the front and rear subframes. Now it\'s just a matter of getting the car looked at.:sarc

AfterBurner
02-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

how much is the OEM cat? i\'m guessing ~$600-800

aftermarket high flow one is like $150.

i\'d take advantage of the warranty too :)

usually OEM exhaust components are $$$ ...i remember the OEM y-pipe for my old car was ~$1200, whereas the aftermarket one i got was $250.

For OEM stuff, isn\'t installation included in the price?

FLIPDADY
02-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Well if it\'s warranty then all hardware and labour is included. I booked my appointment for March 26 at RH Avante because they said I have to leave the car first thing in the morning.

civiclad
02-28-2005, 10:19 AM
I had this problem when I started using Shell gasoline; the smell has since stopped since I switched back to Sunoco.

mazda3boss
03-31-2005, 10:00 PM
does performance depends on fuel type???? since now these prices are crazy i been putting regular in my car and seems to have a slower acceleration....

FLIPDADY
05-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Complete exhaust just replaced. I\'ll give an update on the egg smell.

Flagrum_3
05-31-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by civiclad

I had this problem when I started using Shell gasoline; the smell has since stopped since I switched back to Sunoco.

Way back when I had my CRX I read a topic on how Shell gas was the cleanest gas and surpassed all other fuels on the BMW 90k mile tests blah,blah,blah, I started using Shell gas and then...Rotten Stinking Egg Smell... so I switched back to Sunoco and presto smell was gone (mind you it took a couple of tankfulls) I think there was still some Shell fuel sedaments in the converter.

And Mazda3boss using high grade fuel will do nothing to improve performance on the 2.3...true it burns cleaner but takes longer to burn...stick to regular and save your money.

_3