PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Door Stills

Xenon
02-19-2005, 03:11 AM
After I visit the Autoshow on Saturday, I\'m going to install my new door stills that I picked up a while a go in the group buy (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1158). Hopefully it will be warm enough to install them (for my sake, not the stills :p)

I\'ll post some pics when I\'m done.

Zaku_4
02-19-2005, 03:54 PM
lol

good luck! how are u planning to instal them? lol i hope they look nice!

Xenon
02-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Zaku_4

...how are u planning to instal them? lol i hope they look nice!

Well they come with some foam tape with them, butlookg at the design, I don\'t think they will sit right. So I bought some heavy silicone permanent adhesive that should do the trick. The catch is that the silicone takes 24 hours to dry and adhere properly, so I guess sunday I won\'t be driving my car :(

SoopaBanana
02-21-2005, 12:15 AM
Please post some pics for us, the envious bunch :p

Xenon
02-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Alright Alright... here we go....

Front Still:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/05022201.jpg

Front Still (closer up):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/05022203.jpg

Rear Still:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/05022205.jpg

Rear Still (Closer Up):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/05022206.jpg

Ya my car is dirty, no I didn\'t clean the stills before taking the pic. :p

I just took the pic and posted them. :) They turned out very good. A touch of class for an already beautiful car :)

bluntman
02-22-2005, 09:21 PM
The rear one is cute.

mEtH
02-22-2005, 09:55 PM
I like the contrast. Wish they had some plain ones with no mazda 3 logo. Like the european ones with just the ridges.

Oh and by the way their called Door Sills.

PlatMS6
02-22-2005, 09:59 PM
omg what is that ugly brochure on your back seat? :p
lol jks COBALT...at least it sounds better than cavalier (crapalier)

SoopaBanana
02-22-2005, 11:18 PM
Hmmm... Sweet.

Time to pay eBay a visit... :p

EDIT: Congrats Xenon!! Was it difficult to strip the original door sills out?

majic
02-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by SoopaBanana

Hmmm... Sweet.

these stick on with adhesive tape ONTO the existing door sills IIRC! (you can see them under a bit)

Xenon
02-22-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by majic

Hmmm... Sweet.

these stick on with adhesive tape ONTO the existing door sills IIRC! (you can see them under a bit)

That is correct. They are \"cut out\" at the bottom of the still so that it sits OVER the current still (the black one with the diagonal lines). The fit is near perfect. As long as the still is straight, it will line up perfectly. it almost \"clicks\" into place when it\'s properly placed.

Originally posted by 2004mz3

omg what is that ugly brochure on your back seat? :p
lol jks COBALT...at least it sounds better than cavalier (crapalier)

Yes, i admit... it\'s a cobolt Brochure. I paid a visit to the local chevy dealer today cuz my dad was looking at the new Uplander Minivan, and he wanted priced. I picked that up just to see what it\'s got... I\'m not that impressed, even with the SS one. The interior quality (although greatly improved from the Cav.) is still not up to the standards (i.e. Mazda3) that I\'m used to.

3sWhite
02-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi Xenon,

I\'ve actually installed my lighted one almost 6 months ago,

but i didn\'t use the adhesive like you did..
i went striaght with the tape that it came with,
i had no problem with the tape since then. it\'s still sticking strong

however, my 2 cents.. you may want to make sure that you press it really well,
i found that on one of my rear ones, the bottom of the door is scartching the sills a bit
(yes, i found out cause there were some scartch on it)
...just something you may want to keep an eye on

see here for some old pictures (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=898)

3sWhite

Zaku_4
02-23-2005, 10:34 PM
hey,
they turned out really nice. damn im looking at my wintermats and they really suck. lol someone got them for me, and they are WAYYY to small, well atleast the front ones.

haha so i got those blacklight ones at FMP, they look kind of funny, but they are like bucketed so it can catch the water, to bad spring is basically here. =/ haha my rear ones fit perfectly =).

wow i went way off topic XD

Xenon
02-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by 3sWhite

Hi Xenon,

I\'ve actually installed my lighted one almost 6 months ago,

but i didn\'t use the adhesive like you did..
i went striaght with the tape that it came with,
i had no problem with the tape since then. it\'s still sticking strong

however, my 2 cents.. you may want to make sure that you press it really well,
i found that on one of my rear ones, the bottom of the door is scartching the sills a bit
(yes, i found out cause there were some scartch on it)
...just something you may want to keep an eye on

see here for some old pictures (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=898)

3sWhite

Thanks 3s... as for the sticking up part, the silicone that I used, as soon as I pushed it down it stuck there pretty good. I put some masking tape across the stills to hold them down/in place.

I\'ve checked for scratching (I taped tissue over the still and closed/opened the door, the tissue was untouched). So I think my install went well :) Thanks again for the input!

Newlook
02-26-2005, 10:24 PM

Hmmm... Sweet.

I have 2 extra sets for sale if you would like to have a set.
I\'ll be at the meet on Sunday Feb 27.

SoopaBanana
02-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Newlook

Hmmm... Sweet.

I\'ll be at the meet on Sunday Feb 27.

How much??

And my gf will be there so just say that I ordered them already... ;)

Newlook
04-07-2005, 10:14 PM
I installed mine yesterday with tape. Thanks for the tips from wtom. I bought a roll of 3M exterior mounting tape (1.5m, $4.57 at Walmart) and just enough for all 4 sills. I technically don\'t need that much tape, but heck....

First, peel off the original adhesive tape on the sills, you\'ll be surprised how easy to peel them off.

Clean the inside of your aluminum sills with alcohol, then apply the 3M tape. I cut the tape in half from the center, and tape it along the edge - same format as the original. I put some smaller pieces in the center of the sills as well. But do this at the end if you got some tape left over.

Wipe down your plastic door sills, then clean them again with alcohol.

Before your stick your alum. sills on top of your door sills, you need to do a fitment. The original sills are not flat! They are slightly curved up at the end. You may need to bend your alum. sills a bit to make them fit on top of your door sills perfectly.

Stick them on and apply pressure with your hand.... They are not going to come off unless you really want them to.

jimdragon8
04-07-2005, 11:16 PM

I installed mine yesterday with tape. Thanks for the tips from wtom. I bought a roll of 3M exterior mounting tape (1.5m, $4.57 at Walmart) and just enough for all 4 sills. I technically don\'t need that much tape, but heck....

First, peel off the original adhesive tape on the sills, you\'ll be surprised how easy to peel them off.

Clean the inside of your aluminum sills with alcohol, then apply the 3M tape. I cut the tape in half from the center, and tape it along the edge - same format as the original. I put some smaller pieces in the center of the sills as well. But do this at the end if you got some tape left over.

Wipe down your plastic door sills, then clean them again with alcohol.

Before your stick your alum. sills on top of your door sills, you need to do a fitment. The original sills are not flat! They are slightly curved up at the end. You may need to bend your alum. sills a bit to make them fit on top of your door sills perfectly.

Stick them on and apply pressure with your hand.... They are not going to come off unless you really want them to.

I should have read this first!!!:p

SwooshICE
04-07-2005, 11:36 PM

how much :)

majic
04-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by SwooshICE

how much :)

umm... AFAIK, he sold them already and ummm aren\'t you pikcing up a set on saturday?? :sarc

SwooshICE
04-08-2005, 01:40 PM
he sold them already and ummm aren\'t you pikcing up a set on saturday??

just the side marker rings hehe

Newlook
04-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by jimdragon8

<snip>

I should have read this first!!!:p

What did you do? If yours are coming off, just rip them off and reinstall them.
I was trying to lift up my alum. sills today. They stick on pretty well, no sign of coming off at all!

Newlook
04-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by SwooshICE

he sold them already and ummm aren\'t you pikcing up a set on saturday??

just the side marker rings hehe

You can organize another GB for more sills :p
Sooner or later the sills would become standard accessories for all TM3 owners, lol :D

Geologic
04-15-2005, 09:56 PM
I was gonna start a new thread but seeing as how this is already here.

So I got my 3 sedan today and intsalled everything except the door sills.

Bought em off eBay from hk-plus. The sills fit fine over the oe ones but the tape wouldn\'t stick so I decided to replace them with some scotch exterior mounting tape but it still didn\'t work. It\'s like the tape is sticking on and then just popping right off. I cleaned it with alcohol but no luck.

any suggestions on what else I can use to get these suckers to stick?.

majic
04-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Geologic

I was gonna start a new thread but seeing as how this is already here.

So I got my 3 sedan today and intsalled everything except the door sills.

Bought em off eBay from hk-plus. The sills fit fine over the oe ones but the tape wouldn\'t stick so I decided to replace them with some scotch exterior mounting tape but it still didn\'t work. It\'s like the tape is sticking on and then just popping right off. I cleaned it with alcohol but no luck.

any suggestions on what else I can use to get these suckers to stick?.

check here (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=2088#28295)