PDA

View Full Version : A/C Question

Ex-Rolla
03-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Hi all,
Is the A/C on when the dial is set to just the \"feet\" position? I remember reading in the manual that the A/C turns on automatically when you set the dial to feet/Defrost or Defrost only. I may have read it incorrectly, but I\'m pretty sure that\'s what I read.

Three reasons why I ask.

1. I noticed when the car is idling for about 10 minute (at a parking lot) and the dial is set to feet, I hear the A/C compressor coming on and off continually (assuming that\'s what it is & not the rad Fan). My old car used to make that sound when the A/C was on.

2. We all know that the gas mileage is not that great (debatable), but mine is Really bad.. I\'m guessing this is the reason why.

3.The car feels very jerky going from gear to gear

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in Advanced

Ex

majic
03-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Rolla

Hi all,
Is the A/C on when the dial is set to just the \"feet\" position? I remember reading in the manual that the A/C turns on automatically when you set the dial to feet/Defrost or Defrost only. I may have read it incorrectly, but I\'m pretty sure that\'s what I read.

Three reasons why I ask.

1. I noticed when the car is idling for about 10 minute (at a parking lot) and the dial is set to feet, I hear the A/C compressor coming on and off continually (assuming that\'s what it is & not the rad Fan). My old car used to make that sound when the A/C was on.

2. We all know that the gas mileage is not that great (debatable), but mine is Really bad.. I\'m guessing this is the reason why.

3.The car feels very jerky going from gear to gear

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in Advanced

Ex
u\'r right.. with the defroster the AC comes on.. also.. pg 6-7 in the manual states

In the [feet_only] position, air conditioning
is automatically turned on to defrost
the windshield (however, the
indicator light does not illuminate)
and the [get_fresh_air] position is
automatically selected.

#1. oy!!! 10min idling?!?!?! 15-30sec is enough.. this is probably a major reason for your point #2

#3. my car jerks too. say i JUST got in.. go 1st - 2nd and another car shows up in front of me, foot off the gas - jackrabbit jakrabbit.. ugh.. but once warm noooo problemo..

Ex-Rolla
03-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the clarification...

Here\'s what I want to know;

How the hell would the A/C defrost the car when it\'s only on the \"Feet\" postion? All it\'s doing is sending nice DRY hot air to my feet and not the windshield!

ohh well, now i know. Ohh and about the idling thing... just once in a while when I get a coffee from Tim\'s, I like to enjoy it before I start driving. Because it\'s freezing out, I just leave the car running.

Mark

TheProfessor
03-04-2005, 08:56 AM
I have the same thing happen in my Mazda6, which is why if I want it on just feet, I put it on the front vents and feet, and just close all the front vents.

The reason why it comes on with just feet is because the car is still pumping out air to the front window, just less than if you had selected it. At least that\'s what it says in my Mazda6 manual.

BTW, I get that jerking thing too when the car is cold, but I\'ve just gotten used to it.

MZ3_GS
03-09-2005, 02:46 AM
Actually the A/C Compressor acts as a dehumidifier. I try no to use it the defrost mode once the car is warmed up.

Whos ur dadd
03-14-2005, 03:28 PM
So, to clarify, if it\'s in the Defrost or Defrost/Feet mode, the A/C light is OFF, right?

TheProfessor
03-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Yep, if you have the front defogger, feet, or some combination thereof, the AC light will not be on, but the compressor will be running.

Cosmo77
03-18-2005, 08:41 PM
You know that it is a proven fact that cars with A/C get better gas milage than cars without in the summer on hot days, during highway driving...but there is a hitch to this...The cars with A/C always have there windows up and the ones without usually have one or more windows open...believe it or not the car with the windows up ( and better Aero) get better gas mileage with the A/C on then the one with the windows open.

Cosmo...

Ex-Rolla
03-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Cosmo

You know that it is a proven fact that cars with A/C get better gas milage than cars without in the summer on hot days, during highway driving...but there is a hitch to this...The cars with A/C always have there windows up and the ones without usually have one or more windows open...believe it or not the car with the windows up ( and better Aero) get better gas mileage with the A/C on then the one with the windows open.

Cosmo...

Hmmm... did you happen to hear this from a certain show called Mythbusters? :p

MZ3_GS
05-08-2005, 02:06 PM
You know the Mazda3 AC Sucks!:p Especially in city when the compressor isn\'t running fast enough.

Ex-Rolla
05-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by MZ3_GS

You know the Mazda3 AC Sucks!:p Especially in city when the compressor isn\'t running fast enough.

haven\'t had the oppurtunity to use the A/C to cool the car yet... from what I\'ve been reading it\'s not the greatest, but then again I barely use A/C in the summer :)

TheProfessor
05-20-2005, 08:17 AM
The day we picked up our Sport GT we took it to my in-laws place. We went for a drive and it was warm that day so we had the A/C on (fan setting #2), and even with four adults in the car it got cool enough.........maybe we gotta wait for a real scorcher?!?

Ex-Rolla
06-08-2005, 02:23 AM
As of Today, I have come to the conclusion that the A/C does not work as well as other cars I have driven!

pigeoncamera
06-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Rolla

As of Today, I have come to the conclusion that the A/C does not work as well as other cars I have driven!

I think that\'s something we all agree on. Perhaps the design of the dash to create the enormous glovebox hampers the AC\'s efficiency?

yeroc
06-08-2005, 03:34 PM
For best cooling make sure the fresh air button is set on recirclulate. I find the m3 to be pretty hot in general maybe because of the black upholestry and trim. My car is black too. The other day it felt like I could fry eggs on the dash.

Optimzer
06-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by yeroc

For best cooling make sure the fresh air button is set on recirclulate. I find the m3 to be pretty hot in general maybe because of the black upholestry and trim. My car is black too. The other day it felt like I could fry eggs on the dash.

that\'s why I wish they would offer a beige interior

TheProfessor
06-09-2005, 08:15 AM
The interior of my 6 is 100% black, mix of leather and cloth. It gets so damn hot in there after work I have to open everything and let it \"air out\" before I can even get in. Thankfully the A/C in the 6 isn\'t as bad as it is in the 3, so I am usually quite cool within 5-10 minutes.