PDA

View Full Version : smell from 1st to 2nd

emc
03-29-2005, 09:52 AM
really weird burning/rotten/unexplainable type of smell coming inside my car sometimes when i shift to 2nd at around 5000 rpm. I usually shift around 3, but sometimes i like to have fun and don\\\'t baby my 3 ALL the time . . . So when i press down the throttle while still holding down the clutch in 1st, and zoom off till 5000 or so rpm till shifting to 2nd, the 3 makes a rreeaaallly odd smell.

anyone else experience this? I know I really shouldn\\\'t be treating my car like this seeing as though its only like 2 weeks old now, and definately not broken in, but I dont even redline it and it still smells . . . Maybe just new car engine things its not used to :sarc

FLIPDADY
03-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Sounds like a burning clutch to me.

majic
03-29-2005, 11:02 AM
yeah.. dumping the clutch or slipping it will burn the clutch and produce that smell..

also, don\'t be afraid to redline it.. the car will benefit in the long run and you\'ll have some fun with it :) my car sees the redline a few times a day.. it\'s healthy - cleans out any carbon deposits too :)

emc
03-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Sounds like a burning clutch to me.

sounds horrible . . .

Originally posted by majic

yeah.. dumping the clutch or slipping it will burn the clutch and produce that smell..

also, don\'t be afraid to redline it.. the car will benefit in the long run and you\'ll have some fun with it :) my car sees the redline a few times a day.. it\'s healthy - cleans out any carbon deposits too :)

so no more dumping or slipping cause it burns the clutch, is that right? but i can redline it to have fun, plus oh yeah :p its healthy for the car? haha thats awesome i didn\'t know that, even though its brand new still?

majic
03-29-2005, 11:32 AM
slipping: clutch in slowly gas it.. more gas.. release clutch slowly.. at this point it half engaged but it slips - bad, clutch burns and produces smell

dumping: clutch in and revv high 5K ish, release the clutch completely (maintainging teh high RPM and even higher) thus connecting engine and drive axels.. wheels spin like crazy and there\'s a quite heavy impact on the clutch/tranny and wntire system - bad, no slipping but one time quick RUB

i hope i explained that enough.. btw.. not recommended to do it ;) unless u don\'t like your clutch and you must win that 1/4mi race on the street :sarc

wrt redlining .. i used the break in method described on mototuneusa (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm) Neil did the same and documented it here (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=71#979) along with proper brake bedding technique.

there will always be 2 groups of ppl, one tell you to drive it like a granny and others to drive like you stole it.. i chose the latter :)

hope that helps..

emc
03-29-2005, 12:28 PM
awesome, ya majic thanks now i know what i did . . . love the new terms i\'m learning here!

i\'ll drive both ways to mix it up a bit, plus i feel bad for my baby if i keep driving her to the limit!

lol i did win a 1/4 mile yesterday though :D there was a \'granny\' in some really old lincoln pulled up soooo close beside me. Car parked infront of her on the street, she thought she would be a smart old lady and slowly move forward as if she wanted to get infront of me as soon as the light turned. Well, no granny gets infront of me :p lol so thats the first time i \'slipped\' the clutch and redlined it lol. You know your cool when you try to race a granny in a lincoln :p

hahahaha

MAZDA Kitten
03-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks Maciej! Ive been looking for that website for the longest time!

majic
03-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

Thanks Maciej! Ive been looking for that website for the longest time!

no problem koteczku ;)

btw. erin.. nice kill :D :D :D

emc
03-30-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by majic

btw. erin.. nice kill :D :D :D

i know :p

and that website is awesome as well :D