PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Head unit Questions

EMAGDNIM
04-01-2005, 12:35 AM
Okay...I KNOW for a fact that I will change my headunit on my car soon. Now I have been looking around and I have narrowed it down to a few units. They are:

PIONEER PREMIER DEH-P8MP
PIONEER PREMIER DEH-P860MP
ALPINE CDA 9835

Now then...Does anyone here own these decks?...and if so how do ou like them? Also, is there an adaptor that would let me use the steering controlles with the new units??? Its a nice feature to have ;)

Thanks in advance....

bluntman
04-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Steering Wheel radio control adapter:
PAC Swix (http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/UNIVERSAL_STEERING_WHEEL_CONTROL_BY_PAC_SWIX_p_597 .html)

From what I\'ve heard it\'s a PITA to configure, but it is doable.

EMAGDNIM
04-01-2005, 09:09 AM
HMMM...a pin in the ass eh? whell I was hopping for my install to be done professionally so I could only hope they can pull it off.

bluntman
04-01-2005, 09:55 AM
It just takes some time to program each steering wheel button to correspond to a function on the HU. Some installers dread having to program the SWIX.

MazdaTree
04-01-2005, 11:57 AM
i think lockdown did a post earlier saying that they have that steering wheel controll thing and that they install it aswell

EMAGDNIM
04-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Well I should give them a call...

I also noticed that the new Alpine CDA 9855 model mentions that its compatable with the steering wheel controlls with an adaptor. I to look into this some more as it was taking from the official website and it was quite vague:(

LOCKDOWN-P5
04-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Hello Guys

We do indeed carry the steering wheel controls here at LOCKDOWN. If you are interested please feel free to contact us at (647)-435-5896 and we\'ll gladly help ya out.

Regards

LOCKDOWN Enterprises Inc.

chimp
04-09-2005, 05:58 PM
go with the alpine. they are the best man in my opinion. my stereo has always been alpinin and i have no problems. there new hu are so sweet its unbelievable how good they are. i really don\'t think u can even compare alpine to panasonic to be truthful with you

dredd2099
04-11-2005, 07:39 PM
alpine = function over form

i vote alpine

vigo77
06-09-2005, 12:47 AM
EMAGDNIM

I recently put in an Alpine CDA-9855 and I can\'t begin to express how much my systems sound has expanded since. You can get the module to allow for steering wheel control on the unit but my thoughts are this....if you have a remote for the deck, why would you want to use the steering wheel controls? I am going to use the wheel buttons to control other things like neon lights or the sound meter I am going to place in there. It is up to you if you want to spend the $100 or so on the unit but in my opinion, the remote was serving the same purpose.

Good luck!
:)

eguiyab
06-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Hey, I installed the DEH-P80MP last year. Its the same as the P8MP except its not a premier class deck. I find that it is a very good deck however it does have a few draw back. The central toggle loses its novelty pretty quickly after a little while. The central toggle is used for a majority of the functions and is very touchy. Since you have to press the toggle in different directions to get the function you want, if you dont press it accurately you get the wrong function. I also find that since the toggle is centrally placed, it forces the size of the LCD to be smaller. This makes it harder to read at times because some of the info (length wise) is cut of so you have to wait for it to scroll or promt it do so. The EQ on this deck however I find excellent. You can keep it simple or go full custom adjusting Wave length Wide/Narrow F & Q. Function wise I think its got most everything you would want.

A great feature that it has however is its \"List\" option. Press the list button and all the tracks in text form come up. IE track name, title, album, artist, and folder if mp3. This really helps if you have a truck load of mp3\'s on one disk, cuz your never gonna remember all numbers to those tracks. Note* This feature is only good with ID tag capable disk. So you can burn one or buy those disk. As far as the qualtiy of the display.. its good and comparable to the other pioneers. If you put it on \"movie\" mode, thats all you see. Cant see the track number, track time, or any text. (I dont recall if you can with any other pioneer decks) So it can get hard to navigate with it on this mode. But otherwise it is a good display, aside from I could be bigger and the time when displayed is tiny *(when deck is on and in use). Full clock display when deck is off.

I\'ve used pioneer decks in 4 cars and they all are still running great. Alpine also makes some great decks and I would say that dont let pioneers \"movie mode\" and central toggle be the only selling points cuz the novelty is gone after a while. However under that deck is still a quality product.

Anyway if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Oh yeah and I installed the PAC SWIX with my deck too. Fairly easy install, about 30 mins. One disadvantage is that the response time is a little slower, and that you have to install a IR transmitter facing the deck to aim the signal. (I installed mine in the center armrest just above the hand brake). So if you place something like a bag of fast food or a supersized coke in the cup holder... sometimes the signal dont go through.

DJB
06-19-2005, 12:46 AM
I too wish to change my head unit; however, I was told that this would void the 3\'s warranty. Apparently the head unit is wired through to the car\'s computer system and changing it MAY cause problems in the electrical system.

Is this true?

DJ\'B

TheProfessor
06-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by vigo77

EMAGDNIM

I recently put in an Alpine CDA-9855 and I can\'t begin to express how much my systems sound has expanded since. You can get the module to allow for steering wheel control on the unit but my thoughts are this....if you have a remote for the deck, why would you want to use the steering wheel controls? I am going to use the wheel buttons to control other things like neon lights or the sound meter I am going to place in there. It is up to you if you want to spend the $100 or so on the unit but in my opinion, the remote was serving the same purpose.

Good luck!
:)

Why would you want to take your hands off the wheel to adjust radio settings when you don\'t have to? And how often are you adjusting your neon lights that they would take precedence:sarc

bluntman
06-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by DJB

I too wish to change my head unit; however, I was told that this would void the 3\'s warranty. Apparently the head unit is wired through to the car\'s computer system and changing it MAY cause problems in the electrical system.

Is this true?

DJ\'B

No, it\'s not.

eguiyab
06-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Changing the head unit will not void the warranty. I have had my aftermarket unit for close to a year now and it has never caused any issue whatsoever. Just ensure that you install it correctly or have someone do it for you.

McGuyver_3
09-27-2005, 04:01 PM
if you want your steering wheel controls to work on an aftermarket deck u have to buy this special thing i asked my installer and he told me to wait a bit because right now that peice is still 375 US

bluntman
09-27-2005, 06:23 PM
SWIX