PDA

View Full Version : Hard Shifting

M34ME
04-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Hey I have a 2.3L Automatic, In the mornings, or when the engine is cold I notice some real hard shifting between 1st and 2nd gear only. It really hits in hard, cant be good for the tranny, anyone else find this with theirs? Is there a mazda recall or something? If not do you think grounding the throttle body will solve this problem?

chaser
04-21-2005, 12:41 AM
It\'s pretty normal when the engine, tranny, etc are cold. You may consider ETB grounding (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=395) or/and Switching to Mobil 1 0w20 (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=745). People experience smoother shifting with this mod/switch.

civiclad
04-21-2005, 01:13 PM
I had this problem a few months back, doesn\'t happen anymore. Here is a link to the discussion about harsh shifting:

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=562

M34ME
04-22-2005, 07:09 PM
thanks for the input and the link. :)

Flagrum_3
05-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by chaser

It\'s pretty normal when the engine, tranny, etc are cold. You may consider ETB grounding (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=395) or/and Switching to Mobil 1 0w20 (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=745). People experience smoother shifting with this mod/switch.

DITTO! My CRXsi had the same problem until I switched to Mobil1, after that smooth shifts cold or hot.

_3

Dare
08-30-2005, 01:57 PM
I\'ve had this shifting problem in the winter time so I hoped it was just a cold weather thing. But I had it in the spring and summer time too. It would go away for a month or so and then come back.

The kicker is yesterday it jerked really badly, the engine light came on and all the dials just \"died\". The shift indicator was stuck at 3rd and the tach wouldn\'t move. The car operated mechanically okay though, I could shift but the indicators wouldn\'t do anything. After a few minutes, they sort of fixed themselves, but the engine light is still on.

As usual, the dealer is too booked up to look at it right away so I had make an appointment.

I\'m convinced there is something wrong. The jerking only happens at low RPM\'s. If I gas the car hard, or if I switch to sport shift and let it rev up to 3000rpm before shifting, it wouldn\'t happen.

FLIPDADY
08-31-2005, 07:47 AM
Continue this in Problems with the Mazda3.

S.F.W.
08-31-2005, 11:03 AM
I am having the same issue. Not just whent he car is cold, but anytime it\'s at low RPM\'s. I get it from first to second, and second to third. Third to Fourth is fine ....

jdanielsg
09-07-2005, 02:05 AM
i have a GT AT, I tried to use it in manual mode once and it was a very shocking and diferent experience compared to the Acura TL. It worked like normal I didnt have any problems... if i remmember my experience with the 3, it was very abrupt and it woudlnt shift gears or something I am gonna try tommorow but is there anything i should take note of ? like from 1 to 2 and etc etc how and when should I change gears etc... something wasnt right the first time I did it.

Ex-Rolla
09-08-2005, 10:15 PM
I have been experiencing this problem the last few weeks and it seems to be getting worse. When the car is still cold the shift from 1st to second (around 2000-2500 rpm) is really bad. I actually spilt some coffee on me and slightly screached the tires. not only that there was a loud \"bang\" type sound, similar to popping the clutch when driving stick. This happens for about 2 to 3 minutes, then once the engine is warm it goes away. It\'s difficult to explain, but the shift ir REALLY bad.

The shift is so severe that I feel that this will cause some long term damage.

My 20k Maintenance is coming up and I hope to take it in on Monday. I\'m going to leave my car there Sunday night so in the morning I can ask the tech to come with me and hope it happens.

I\'ll keep you all posted.

majic
09-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Rolla

I have been experiencing this problem the last few weeks and it seems to be getting worse. When the car is still cold the shift from 1st to second (around 2000-2500 rpm) is really bad. I actually spilt some coffee on me and slightly screached the tires. not only that there was a loud \"bang\" type sound, similar to popping the clutch when driving stick. This happens for about 2 to 3 minutes, then once the engine is warm it goes away. It\'s difficult to explain, but the shift ir REALLY bad.

The shift is so severe that I feel that this will cause some long term damage.

My 20k Maintenance is coming up and I hope to take it in on Monday. I\'m going to leave my car there Sunday night so in the morning I can ask the tech to come with me and hope it happens.

I\'ll keep you all posted.

ditto.. i have 26K+ on mine and when the engine is cold it\'s pretty rough.. but you just have to be careful when you shift.. easy on the gas and the clutch.. shift early from first.. if you rev to 4-5K and you put it in second.. CSI will be collecting your teeth imprints frm the steering wheel..

jdanielsg
09-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by jdanielsg

i have a GT AT, I tried to use it in manual mode once and it was a very shocking and diferent experience compared to the Acura TL. It worked like normal I didnt have any problems... if i remmember my experience with the 3, it was very abrupt and it woudlnt shift gears or something I am gonna try tommorow but is there anything i should take note of ? like from 1 to 2 and etc etc how and when should I change gears etc... something wasnt right the first time I did it.

ok i tested it on manual mode, its ok, not much problems to report.

foradune
03-08-2009, 02:24 PM
I just purchased a 2.0L mazda 3 a few weeks ago. After the first few weeks, i noticed the gear shifting became rougher, especially from 1st to 2nd, and in the cold, i could barely even shift to second with all my arm strength. I took it to mazda, they said the shifter cables are all messed up and i need a new one. It cost me 700 to fix with labor. After getting back my car, i noticed the shifting is better, but its STILL not smooth like butter, which is how it should be! After practicing in an empty lot, i noticed it has a lot to do with how you shift the stick itself, when shifting from 1st to 2nd, you should not be pulling the stick maximally to the left, but just drop it straight down. When i do this, the shift is smooth as butter. But still, it seems like 1/3 times i do it right. I dunno what to make of this shifting nonsense with my mazda 3.

mazdas3sporte
03-08-2009, 02:34 PM
generally in winter the shift from 1st to second is pretty stiff, I know allot of people have the problem so they change their oil to synthetic which seems to help, try that out and see what diffrence it makes. I let the car warm up for 3 mins usually so I dont have to jam it into first gear, after 10 minuites its usually ok unless the temp is below 20 than it takes a bit longer to change gears smoothly

Noisy Crow
03-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Linkage might need adjusting. Have you had someone else with a 3 try it for you, or you try their car?

mazda lover
03-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I have 2005 auto and I have the early morning shift, after it warms up no problem. I tried synthetic oil and didn't make a difference, can't see why engine oil would help. I had my tranny reflashed by the dealer when it was under warranty, made a bit of difference but still does it. I think there is a TBS on it, not sure. If the car is still under warranty take it in to get it reflashed.

sas
03-08-2009, 07:24 PM
There is two cables, shifting cable and selecting cable. Sounds like you need in re-adjusting of the selecting cable. Shifter will not work until selector is set at right angle. One note. Do not use force when shifting. Better, switch back to neutral and try again.

kcmazda
03-08-2009, 11:22 PM
There is an PCM update for a shift shock.....

mazdas3sporte
03-09-2009, 09:58 PM

effecting what years?

mazda lover
03-09-2009, 10:43 PM

thats what I said, but just ask the dealer, newer models might have the update done at the factory,,, ask the dealer...might not have anything to do with cables, but you never know

Noisy Crow
03-10-2009, 09:29 AM

That only applies to cars with AUTOMATIC transmissions!

iheartmazda3
09-18-2009, 02:02 PM
i have on 04 and my first to second shift is brutal and i just got a new tranny at tend of dec so like 8 months ago,,, but my car is in the shop with a stalling issue as we speak. and its funny i hear about all the complaints on here and how many ppl are having them and when i bring it in they are always like i have never heard of this ,,,haha

mazda lover
09-18-2009, 09:28 PM
i have on 04 and my first to second shift is brutal and i just got a new tranny at tend of dec so like 8 months ago,,, but my car is in the shop with a stalling issue as we speak. and its funny i hear about all the complaints on here and how many ppl are having them and when i bring it in they are always like i have never heard of this ,,,haha

dealer will say "we never heard of that problem" before, they are lying,
makes it look like its your fault. dealers=:loco

iheartmazda3
09-23-2009, 04:00 PM
well i just got my car back yesterday they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it ,, but it stalled on me,,,they didnt do anything to it so i told them to reprogram my
pcm cuz sometimes it can help with shifting or stalling,,, the guy i was talking to on the phone actually told me he had to ask his boss first , i was like im telling you to do it and im paying for it just do it ,,, wouldnt surprise me if they didnt even do anything but my shifting is better....