PDA

View Full Version : M3 White owners ....

rene
05-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Hi fellow M3 White owners!

Washing and polishing/waxing are \"whites\" does\'nt really clean them deep inside. If you glide your hand on the painted surfaces of your car you will feel all the imperfections on the paint job.

My Whitie has a lot of these contaminants especially those very tiny rust spots. I believe they are called rail dust or rail rust. Today, I happened to use the Clay Bar System from Mothers. The system comes with a clay bar, showtime instant detailer and carnauba cleaner wax. And of course a lot of elbow grease. This product is amazing, it does really work! I am impress!

It took me 2-1/2 hours to remove all those spots, ok \'missed a couple. But at the end my Whitie is so smooth! After that I spent another 1-1/2 hour polishing/waxing her with Nu-Finish.

The system comes with a wax (in a small bottle) but decided not to use it because I need a bigger one. I scraped all the painted surfaces except the top roof that is why I used my Nu-Finish instead.

After a sore elbow and back and a little bit of sun burn, we went to Pacific Mall and bumped into wtom at the parking lot. He recognized the Sticker, of course I got those from him.

rene

TheProfessor
05-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Sounds good, but you should have asked the dealer to do it for you......a few other members have had it done for free since you really shouldn\'t have rail dust on your car anyways.

rene
05-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Hi PSIVIC,

When I picked up my car from the dealer, the car really look neat and shiny. I did\'nt really know these rail dust before I picked up the car so I did not check for them. I thought I got those rust spot after I picked up the car. Thanks for the reply.

rene

AFbunnie
05-08-2005, 01:07 AM
Yeah. I went in a week after I got the car, and the dealership did it for me for free.. :) But yes. Rail dust isn\'t as noticable on the other colours so definately, good work on the clay barring!!
I was at Pacific Mall today too.. and I think I saw your car. There were 2 whites there, and 3 winning blues. All within that area..

Optimzer
05-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Just a question - is the dealer supposed to detail it for you before pick up? Never bought a new car before so I don\'t really know what to expect..

And how do you tell if you have this rail dust? Can you see it or is it just by feel? Thanks! :)

majic
05-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Optimzer

Just a question - is the dealer supposed to detail it for you before pick up? Never bought a new car before so I don\'t really know what to expect..

And how do you tell if you have this rail dust? Can you see it or is it just by feel? Thanks! :)

unless someone hotboxes your car or decides to have a party inside it, i doubt it would need any extra celaning after it comes out brand new from the factory. I don\'t even think you will get any dust since it\'s hot off the press ;) but they\'ll put in the mats and do othe rPDI stuff (check pressure - yah right, top up fluids, etc..)

on a white car you\'ll see rusty spots/dots.. they are fairly small. come to think of it i never looked for them. i doubt i would be able to see them anyway on a velocity red..

someone here i believe posted that you can feel slight bumps/grittyness when you go over the surface of the car with a sandwich wrap - means no claybaring done and you got some rail dust..

EDIT: found it here (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=2141&page=2#31781)

Optimzer
05-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by majic

someone here i believe posted that you can feel slight bumps/grittyness when you go over the surface of the car with a sandwich wrap - means no claybaring done and you got some rail dust..

EDIT: found it here (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=2141&page=2#31781)

lol! go over the car with a sandwich wrap?! that\'s awesome - I don\'t know where these kind of things come out of - I never would have thought of that one on my own but now that I think about it it sure does make sense. Can you guess what I\'m going to be doing during lunch break? :p

wtom
05-09-2005, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by rene

After a sore elbow and back and a little bit of sun burn, we went to Pacific Mall and bumped into wtom at the parking lot. He recognized the Sticker, of course I got those from him.

My first TM3 sighting person-to-person outside of planned club meets!!! :)

Congrats on the hardwork to shine up the car! It looked nicer than all the other 3\'s I saw in the area we parked in.

I tihnk I saw AFbunnie at PMall? :p

AFbunnie
05-09-2005, 10:41 AM
You THINK you saw me eh???

So its gonna be like that... hmm.. alright. we\'ll play your game.. :P lol..

wtom
05-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeah AFbunnie is a fast walker. I kept trying to stalk her through BBT, car accessories shops, and then the curry fish balls... mmmmmmm :p

rene, end up buying anything for the car at PMall?

SoopaBanana
05-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Gee the one weekend I\'m not in PMall... lol

Rene I\'d really like to see the claybar work on ur car.. I think I need to do that on my car as well :p

wtom
05-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by SoopaBanana
Gee the one weekend I\'m not in PMall... lol

BBT and curry fish balls are always available at PMall, no worries :D

rene
05-11-2005, 02:00 AM
Sorry for the late reply guys/gals.

Thanks for the compliment wtom. That was really a hard work. Now, everytime my wife sees a blue hatch she always say \"that\'s wtom\" :) I am thinking of getting a new set of wheels, color white. The one thing that is pulling me back is the brake dust, they will easily get dirty. I got the other weekend a rear view mirror, a little bit longer (not the curve one).

Soopabanana, most likely I will be at the next meet, Kennedy Commons I suppose? do you have white as well?

We usually go to PM on the weekend (late afternoon). I have a sedan GT w/ hood deflector and TM3 on the sides, just in case you see us give me a sign or approach us.

wtom
05-11-2005, 10:45 AM

I got the other weekend a rear view mirror, a little bit longer (not the curve one).

Soopabanana, most likely I will be at the next meet, Kennedy Commons I suppose? do you have white as well?

... just in case you see us give me a sign or approach us.

Does the \"longer\" rear-view mirror do much though? I just think you will only see the corners of the rear window more, and with a super long mirror, then you can see out the back corner windows (right behind the rear passenger window). Thus my never getting one of those Broadway mirrors.

Soopabanana has a white sport gt :)

Any sign but middle finger ... and lucky I wasn\'t wearing all black with trenchcoat and sunglasses when I approached you. :p

SoopaBanana
05-11-2005, 01:53 PM
lol wtom... Btw, the curved Broadway mirror works well... It pretty much eliminated the blind spot on the passenger side, as long as the passenger doesn\'t have a big head...

Rene: we met during the eastside premeet remember?

rene
05-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by wtom

Does the \"longer\" rear-view mirror do much though? I just think you will only see the corners of the rear window more, and with a super long mirror, then you can see out the back corner windows (right behind the rear passenger window). Thus my never getting one of those Broadway mirrors.

Soopabanana has a white sport gt :)

Any sign but middle finger ... and lucky I wasn\'t wearing all black with trenchcoat and sunglasses when I approached you. :p

You are right wtom! The long r/v mirror did\'nt do much help (which the sales lady suggested). I did\'nt get the curve one b/c, they said there are some distorsion on the image that you see.

Now, I remember you Soopabanana. I parked beside you at the last East pre-meet, Kennedy Commons.

SABIO
05-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Just my 2 cents, Clay works great for *smoothing the imperfections*.

If it is rail dust watch it carefully. The larger iron particles are still imbedded in your clearcoat and will continue to rust.

I would report it to the dealer, so if small rust spots do appear, you can have them fix it.
It may require removal of the clearcoat, sanding, re-painting w/ new clearcoat.

david3
05-21-2005, 06:08 PM
My Whitie has a lot of these contaminants especially those very tiny rust spots. I believe they are called rail dust or rail rust.

You know what, my silver 3 had these spots after the winter. They come off easy enough, but wtf. :\\