PDA

View Full Version : Paint Peeling Off Rims...

PiCASSO
05-13-2005, 08:53 PM
I washed my car last weekend, May 6th, and only to discover that ther was some paint peeling off around the hub circumference of my 17\\\" rims. I first thought that it would be due to hitting something like the curb. But upon closer inspection, this was pretty much consistent through out all 4-rims:

FRONT LEFT:
http://server2.uploadit.org/files/tribus-frontleft.jpg

FRONT RIGHT:
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/tribus-frontright.jpg

REAR LEFT:
http://server2.uploadit.org/files/tribus-rearleft.jpg

REAR RIGHT:
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/tribus-rearright.jpg

I brought it over to Avante Mazda, speaking to service department\\\'s paint expert, Mark, who informed me that these rims need to be inspected by Mazda of Canada and then most likely replaced. My main concern, aside from the ugly look of them, is that by the time winter hits us again, I\\\'ll get some good corrosion, followed by either white or rust.

Anyone else has seen this on their Mazda? I\\\'ve had this car since October 2004 with some 13,000 km, driven through our relatively mild winter. So what gives? VA/VE idea that went wrong?

Disappointed? Yes... :(

Ex-Rolla
05-13-2005, 09:00 PM
have you taken your rims off? had tires replaced? balanced?

Ex

PiCASSO
05-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Rolla

have you taken your rims off? had tires replaced? balanced?

Ex

The rims were taken-off and simply rotated (front to rear, rear to front) after I\'ve brought the car in at around 10,000 km because I couldn\'t get the rims off myself. Turned out they were fused to the inner hub due to the fact that the car sat on the boat and in Vancouver dock for a little time (build date of August 2004, pickup date of October 2004). Dealership used a hammer to get the rims off the hubs and then placed copper grease between the inner portion of each rim and the hub.

Ex-Rolla
05-13-2005, 09:30 PM
k.. just checking, because to Balance a wheel they usuaully use something like THIS (http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/ACCESSORIES/indiv_list.cfm?PartNumber=192%2D97%2D2) to place in the middle of the wheel (where your chipping started) and then fasten it on the machine....

I was thinking that that peice may have originally chipped the wheel causing the \"chain Reaction\".

I wonder if the middle caps were forced off with a screwdriver or something?

PiCASSO
05-14-2005, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Ex-Rolla

k.. just checking, because to Balance a wheel they usuaully use something like THIS (http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/ACCESSORIES/indiv_list.cfm?PartNumber=192%2D97%2D2) to place in the middle of the wheel (where your chipping started) and then fasten it on the machine....

I was thinking that that peice may have originally chipped the wheel causing the \"chain Reaction\".

I wonder if the middle caps were forced off with a screwdriver or something?

If they were balanced (which they weren\'t), then I agree there is possibility of damage to the outside hub ring.

As for removing the middle caps, I don\'t recall a need to remove them when taking off the rims in the first place, so I can\'t see why the dealership would also require the remove of the when they fixed the issue of stuck wheels to inner hub.

I appreciate some of the theories, Ex-Rolla, regardless.

bubba1983
05-14-2005, 07:38 AM
take \'er back, they shoudl replace \'er!

Ex-Rolla
05-14-2005, 01:15 PM
no problem... just trying to come up with some possibilities... I agree with bubba though... They should just replace the rims! (i just hope it doesn\'t become a common problem)

fat mike
05-14-2005, 02:38 PM
I had a problem like that wiht my old P5. All of the rims started to bubble and peeel from the winter. All four of them were replaced under warrenty through the dealership

david3
05-17-2005, 07:01 AM
My goddamn 15\"\'s are doing that too.

TheProfessor
05-17-2005, 08:11 AM
When we sold our 2002 P5 a couple of weeks ago one of the guys who came to look at it said that the same problem existed on the P5. He said that all of his friends who had experienced the problem simply talked to the dealership and had them replaced free of charge, let\'s hope they will do the same for those experiencing the problem on the 3.

rene
05-18-2005, 01:35 AM
I have those bulges as well but no peeling yet. Yes, on all 4.

btw, I have\'nt rotated them yet.

firstmazda
05-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Did they replace the wheels too? or just the rims and threw your tires on to the new ones?

Redhouse
05-24-2005, 08:13 PM
So has anything been resolved regarding your rims?

PiCASSO
07-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Well, it took about 3-weeks for Mazda of Canada to decided they would replace the rims, and other 5-weeks for the rims to arrive. Avante Mazda, whom I\'m very happy with their service department, has placed 4-new rims on my near 16,000-km old Mazda. I was hoping they would suprise me with a new set of tires... but no such luck. At least I got my car washed, which was part of their oil change service.

Ramson
10-15-2005, 03:11 AM
Like a lot of people, I\'m having the same problem with the bubbling and chipping of the paint around the centre of the rim.

However, my rims have other damage to them from rubbing up on a curb or two.
I planned to replace them myself due to my CARELESSNESS AND STUPIDITY :sarc , but if this \'flaw\' in the rim entitles me to new ones under the warranty, would they still be covered even though they have been grinded up on a curb?

Much thanks

bluntman
10-15-2005, 07:43 AM
No, scratches caused by you hitting the curb look completely different from the pictures shown above. Also, they are in different areas too.

bubba1983
10-19-2005, 01:15 AM
unless dem some caraaaaaazy curbs that lunge out and attack at ya...
haha

PiCASSO
10-19-2005, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by bubba1983

unless dem some caraaaaaazy curbs that lunge out and attack at ya...
haha

You do have a point. There was one day last month where I had to perform an emergency manuver just to avoid one of those caraaaaazy curbs. Fortunately, using my super hero F1 reflexes, I missed them by a few microns. Tell you, man, I also sweated a tear. Oh well...

Titanum-3
10-19-2005, 10:59 AM
I have noticed that my rims are starting to bubble around the center cap as well. I have had my 3 since nov 04, I ran the stock 17\'s the first winter but last winter they were stored. I am worried that by the time the rims are peeling and really hurt the look of the car, the dealership will do nothing because it will no longer be under warranty. I don\'t think they will do anything now because it is hardly noticeable. I wonder if it is the center cap that is causing this because it allows water to sit there. I think if we removed the center caps then the problem would be gone. Maybe mazda should redesign the center cap so this no longer happens.

everfeb
11-10-2005, 08:35 PM
PICASSO...did you notice, did this start off with small little bubbles around the centre cap and then grow into what you ended up with?
I\'m noticing little bubble like things around the centre cap on my 17\" 2004 Sport wheels which have been through 2 winters. Don\'t recall seeing them there before. Glad to see you got taken care of.
everfeb

PiCASSO
11-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by everfeb

PICASSO...did you notice, did this start off with small little bubbles around the centre cap and then grow into what you ended up with?
I\'m noticing little bubble like things around the centre cap on my 17\" 2004 Sport wheels which have been through 2 winters. Don\'t recall seeing them there before. Glad to see you got taken care of.
everfeb

Honestly, I can\'t remember too many details, since I got my car in October of 2004 and drove the car through the winter. It was rarely washed during that time, so it wasn\'t until spring time when I gave it a good wash that I began noticing the paint peeling (and bubbling) off around the center of the cap through all 4-wheels.

Take a few pictures of them and monitor it. If they become very evident, let the dealer know and raise your concern. But it might take them a little while before they act on it... probably when they become as nasty as mine were.

Good luck,

PiCASSO

everfeb
11-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Pictures...good idea. Thanks Picasso.
everfeb

Simkins
03-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Any update on this, I was all set to put my 17\'s back on my car today, and they are all bubbled out, its around the centre cap, and on some of the spokes. They have never been driven in the winter, 15,000km on them.

ds2chan
04-20-2006, 04:13 PM
there\'s some people on mazda3forums.com having the same problems.. the guy who started this thread wants to send Mazda a list of everybody with the problem..

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=42873.0

BLKOUT
06-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by PiCASSO

I washed my car last weekend, May 6th, and only to discover that ther was some paint peeling off around the hub circumference of my 17\\\" rims. I first thought that it would be due to hitting something like the curb. But upon closer inspection, this was pretty much consistent through out all 4-rims:

FRONT LEFT:
http://server2.uploadit.org/files/tribus-frontleft.jpg

FRONT RIGHT:
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/tribus-frontright.jpg

REAR LEFT:
http://server2.uploadit.org/files/tribus-rearleft.jpg

REAR RIGHT:
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/tribus-rearright.jpg

I brought it over to Avante Mazda, speaking to service department\\\'s paint expert, Mark, who informed me that these rims need to be inspected by Mazda of Canada and then most likely replaced. My main concern, aside from the ugly look of them, is that by the time winter hits us again, I\\\'ll get some good corrosion, followed by either white or rust.

Anyone else has seen this on their Mazda? I\\\'ve had this car since October 2004 with some 13,000 km, driven through our relatively mild winter. So what gives? VA/VE idea that went wrong?

Disappointed? Yes... :(

Has anyone had the rims replaced by Mazda? Which dealer did you go to?

3GFX
06-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Mine are bubbling near the centre too :( , Mazda should at least pay for rim paint. Lol, I guess if it starts chipping I\'ll have an excuse to paint them!!! :sarc

FLIPDADY
06-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by 3GFX

Mine are bubbling near the centre too :( , Mazda should at least pay for rim paint. Lol, I guess if it starts chipping I\'ll have an excuse to paint them!!! :sarc
My thoughts exactly!

You can\'t repair the bubbling, I even asked the rim repair guy we deal with so the only other alternative is to paint them yourself.

fourtrack78
06-28-2006, 09:23 AM
this is what happened to mine.

here (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=6333)

elmokiddo
06-28-2006, 09:57 AM
I took my car into Westowne Mazda last night since I was having the same problem, they are going to be replacing my rims as well :)

Should I be expecting the tires to be balanced when I have them put back on or does this not need to be done since they are the same tires? (I wanna make sure they do it right...first time at this dealership!)

FLIPDADY
06-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by elmokiddo

I took my car into Westowne Mazda last night since I was having the same problem, they are going to be replacing my rims as well :)

Should I be expecting the tires to be balanced when I have them put back on or does this not need to be done since they are the same tires? (I wanna make sure they do it right...first time at this dealership!)
They have to balance the tires since they will be putting them on the new rims. If not your car will be vibrating like a mofo.

Wheel weights go on the rims not the tires.

elmokiddo
07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Well, took the car there this morning and, Al, (assistant service manager?) told me that their district dude told him that all rims with this problem should be sent out for refinishing...and should not be replaced!

So they gave me this old hunk of junk protege loaner (atleast its still a mazda) for the next few days until the rims come back...do we only get to fill out one survey or will I get another one...I really need to rant about this to someone!!!

Edit: I called them just now since this has been bugging me and they told me they only keep 1 loaner now incase of emergency (I guess my case was an emergency?), and its the protege! (Due to them having problems with damaged loaners in the past...she says...)

elmokiddo
07-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Wednesday night I found that the insurance papers in the car had expired so I went back and talked to Tony the sales manager and he gave me new ones to put in the car.

Today morning I went and talked to Al again because the Protege seats were making my back sore and his only other loaner was a 2003 protege....seemed worse then the first one, I wound up just giving them the protege back and having the shuttle drop me off.

After work I sat around at the TTC station for a half an hour because service was \"too busy to take my call\" and the receptionist with all her attitude couldn\'t be bothered to get the driver onthe phone... anyhow I went and picked up my 3...woo, finally! Refinishing job was pretty bad, the inner surfaces (still visible surfaces, not the back) are all rough, and on 3 places or so there are \"drops\" of paint that have dried up to make a bump.
As well, one of the \"bubbling\" areas is still \"bubbling\" but is just covered up with paint.

Called Al at 6pm as they were closing and he told me to show him on Monday.

Side note: since they were originally supposed to replace the rims I had asked him to put my new tires on when they were doing this...since we ended up getting them refinished Al said he would install my new tires anyways, they forgot to do this...Al asked me to bring it in on Monday to have it done...

FLIPDADY
07-07-2006, 07:56 AM
I asked about bubbling on rims with the guy that refinishes our rims. He told me that the bubbling will come back even if you refinish it. Didn\'t really give me a good reason why but he told me it wasn\'t worth it.

andrew-gg
08-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Has anybody had this problem latly and had there rims replaced? I also am having the problem and the dealer I deal with wants to send them out to be refinished but I know this is just a band-aid and won't fix the problem. Please let me know if your dealer replaced the rims for you. thanks

Wild Weasel
08-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Frankly I'd rather them refinished by Carcone's than replaced. They do excellent work and you could get the colour changed!

mazda lover
08-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Dealer is going to replace mine
2005 36,000 km car not driven during the winter...

andrew-gg
08-24-2007, 11:30 PM

What dealership?

andrew-gg
08-29-2007, 03:44 PM

Can you please PM me what dealership replaced your rims for you.

Thanks

super_vixen
08-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Mazda Canada has informed all dealers that they are not allowed to replace the rims outright. They will send them out to be refinished under warranty, but that is it.

I've had mine refinished twice now, and they came back just fine. The first time I had them refinished, it was when they were bubbling around the centre cap. I put them into winter storage and brought them out in the spring and they were all covered in 1" bubbles everywhere. Got them done again and they've been fine since. I was entirely satisified with how they looked after refinishing too.

I tried to get my dealer to replace them, especially the 2nd time around, but couldn't do it.

thrasher
09-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Has anyone with a 2007 GT with 17 inch rims had this problem?

cwp_sedan
09-30-2007, 10:43 AM
No problem here. I would go back to the dealer and make them aware of the problem and get them to fix the rim(s).

garboui
09-30-2007, 11:15 AM
hmm mabye the only solution to this bubbling if its a problem that keeps on coming back after refinishing is to hard anodize the wheels before the finish is applied. probably not the most cost effective solution but this will eliminate the aluminum-paint interface which is where this problem is occuring.

crunchie46
11-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I have an 04 and my 3yr warranty is done, but i know there is a warranty for paint and rust that is for 5yrs. I just went to the dealership and was informed that its only the body panels that are covered. Does anybody know if this is right or should it still be covered?