PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Results for Mods

Whos ur dadd
05-20-2005, 10:36 AM
So, I\'m waiting at the airport for a flight home and pick up one of dem tuner mags. They dyno\'d two cars, baseline and then with mods. The cars were the RX8 and the S2000.

In each case, the intakes resulted in about 2 to 2.5 hp and the exhausts about the same. After ground wires and related stuff, it was about 7hp total (in aggregate with all them other mods). AND the products were well known brands too - Comptech, Racing Beat, K&N Typhoon.

THAT SUCKS. The only thing I could think of is that these cars are really finely tuned at the factory and aftermarket mods only reveal small (IMO puny) gains. I don\'t think the 3 is that poorly tuned from the factory that would make us get good gains with mods?

My main goal for an exhaust system is the glorious sound, but it would have been nice to get a good kick in the pants... :(

Fuman
05-20-2005, 10:47 AM
just dun get a really LOUD exhaust... please.

TheProfessor
05-20-2005, 10:51 AM
You have to understand that companies like Honda and Mazda have already squeezed out the majority of power from their relatively small motors. When I had my civic I didn\'t bother wasting money on stuff like and intake and headers cause I knew at best I would get 10hp at the wheels. Instead I saved all that money and turbo\'d the car, which added significantly to the power. The only import cars I have seen decent gains on from bolt-ons are the more true sports cars like the WRX, STi, 350Z, G35C, etc.

///M
05-20-2005, 07:43 PM
I think the 3 should be respond decently to bolt-ons - it has a (relatively) large and non-peaky engine.

It\'s the cars with highly tuned, smaller displacement engines (e.g. S2k and RX-8) that are hard to extract additional power out of.

Flagrum_3
05-21-2005, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by autoexe

I think the 3 should be respond decently to bolt-ons - it has a (relatively) large and non-peaky engine.

It\'s the cars with highly tuned, smaller displacement engines (e.g. S2k and RX-8) that are hard to extract additional power out of.

From what I\'ve researched an Intake and exhaust upgrade can give you between 10-23hp gain depending on your choices, thats not bad for a cost of around $1000.

_3