PDA

View Full Version : Hot plastic kind of smell

yeroc
05-27-2005, 04:38 PM
300 km on my GT Sport, getting an occasional wiff of something like hot plastic when the motor has been running. Sometimes inside but only faintly, but quite noticeable when standing outside close to the front.

It sort of smells like something is burning but not really, it\'s like that new car smell only very strong and coming from under the hood. I saw there is alot of plastic covers etc for plug wires I\'m thinking that it might be a normal part of breaking in the vehicle, I smelled it right away after I brought it home from the dealer.

I know that a new exhaust system can produce some weird odours and even smoke for a while after it is installed before it gets really heated up, this is what happened to my Passat b3 several years ago and it went away in a week or so.

If it doesn\'t go away or gets worse I\'m gonna call the dealership, just wondering if anyone else here has encountered this smell from their new Mazda.

thx

-C

Optimzer
05-27-2005, 06:31 PM
I have that too (1002km as of just now) but never really thought it was a problem. I assumed its a \'new car\' thing..

yeroc
05-27-2005, 09:36 PM
OK that\'s what I am thinking too. Looking under the hood there is alot more plastic than i\'m used to seeing.... The battery compartment thing is cool, nice idea I haven\'t seen that before. Other cars I\'ve had the battery tray rust right out.

david3
05-28-2005, 01:31 AM
I think it\'s the oily substance they use on the plastic to make it look shiny -- gets hot and evaporates off. When I first got my 3 it had a funky smell for awhile too.