PDA

View Full Version : Electric Horns

Whos ur dadd
06-01-2005, 10:10 AM
majic:

did you snap pics of your horn install? i\'m thinking of buying the Freeway Blaster dual tone horns from Crappy Tire. I\'d think they be similar to install as the ones you did.

majic
06-01-2005, 10:26 AM
yah.. but the pix weren\'t that good.. but i can take more or let you know how it was done :) for a small fee of course ;)

Electra-fire
06-01-2005, 11:10 AM
haha ya that was a pretty sweet horn...
I\'ll think I\'ll put one in that plays a little Mexician Salsa ;)

dredd2099
06-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Whos ur dadd

majic:

did you snap pics of your horn install? i\'m thinking of buying the Freeway Blaster dual tone horns from Crappy Tire. I\'d think they be similar to install as the ones you did.

u can try usin existing wiring from stock horn w/o any significant performance hits
i didnt bother w/ the relay even w/ mine (dual horns as well, red in colour, also available at crappy tire, probly same manufacturer of the hiway blaster)

dredd2099
06-01-2005, 02:22 PM
found a pic of mine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/dredd2099/109_0990.jpg

SourcE
06-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Check this out...

Right here (http://www.classic-car-accessories.co.uk/acatalog/soundtklaxonred.html) :D

I\'m well up for one of these.....!

Whos ur dadd
06-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by dredd2099

found a pic of mine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/dredd2099/109_0990.jpg

ya man. that\'s what i wanna do. so not too difficult to install? i don\'t even know what a relay does. is it the same as a fuse or circuit breaker?

DJB
06-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Actually, I\'ve always wanted to put one of those big air horns in my car... You know, the ones that the 18 wheelers have in their trucks.
That way, you can really scar the p!ss out of the idiot who cuts you off in traffic.

DJ\'B

Whos ur dadd
06-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Air horns require periodic maintenance. Heard of many stories where they fail to function because of getting blocked.

They\'re friggin loud though, I\'ll give them that.

dredd2099
06-05-2005, 06:22 PM
ya man. that\'s what i wanna do. so not too difficult to install? i don\'t even know what a relay does. is it the same as a fuse or circuit breaker?

more like a switch (on and off for another circuit, in this case, the horn)
a relay uses a small amount of power to turn on a device that needs a higher amount of power
yea, the 12 volt is pretty weak

with the horn i got and the one ull be getting (or maybe u have it alrdy)
the stock relay is good enuff
but if we\'re using like what mr majic has (the hella supertones)
to get the max perf out of it, using the relays that come with it is the answer

:)

dredd2099
06-18-2005, 01:11 PM
did u do it yet mr dadd?

jdanielsg
08-24-2005, 03:12 PM
I was thinking of chnaging my horns, I drive a 2002 Acura TL, I like that horn, not too lound, but strong not wimpy. Is the Mazda 6 horn like that? I was quoted $70 including install by Mazda of Scarborough. I dunt wanna do the work myself coz if i screw up the warranty if gone, if they do its their problem.

So any opinions? I guess it easier to change to another Mazda horn ?

Whos ur dadd
08-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Unless you\'re cutting into electrical wires or tapping into fuse blocks, etc., I don\'t see how there\'ll be any warranty issues (well they will probably decline coverage for the horns themselves ;) ).

Is the Mazda6 horn any better sounding? $70 sounds a little high if its just plug and play. Take a look at your engine. You\'d be amazed at what little you\'ll break just by looking.

jdanielsg
08-24-2005, 03:50 PM

Unless you\'re cutting into electrical wires or tapping into fuse blocks, etc., I don\'t see how there\'ll be any warranty issues (well they will probably decline coverage for the horns themselves ;) ).

Is the Mazda6 horn any better sounding? $70 sounds a little high if its just plug and play. Take a look at your engine. You\'d be amazed at what little you\'ll break just by looking.

thanks for the reply, I havent actually heard the M6 horn I am just assuming it would sound better.. LOL and someone mentioned it before when I asked on this or the other mazda forum. so I am sorta thinking its worth looking into rather than getting some other brand which may be difficult to fit ?

Say I wanna fit my Acura TL horn.. what would I need to know like specs to know if they r compatible ?

thanks

TheProfessor
08-24-2005, 03:59 PM
The horn on my MZ6 is perfect IMO.....doesn\'t sound wimpy like the 3\'s does, but it\'s not so damn loud that it\'s annoying. When/if I get a 3, I intend on swapping in the horn from a 6.

Whos ur dadd
08-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Good to know, psivic!

jdanielsg, go find out for the greater good!

I\'d be all over an plug and play over playing with wiring for an electric set...

jdanielsg
08-24-2005, 08:44 PM

Good to know, psivic!

jdanielsg, go find out for the greater good!

I\'d be all over an plug and play over playing with wiring for an electric set...

so someone technical here give me some specs about the connections for the M3 horn area so i can see if the acura or m6 fits :)

wab8611
08-24-2005, 09:12 PM
so if i go down to westowne and ask them to install the m6 horn.. they should have NO problem with it.. and can anyone give me a rought price range for this swap?

jdanielsg
08-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by wab8611

so if i go down to westowne and ask them to install the m6 horn.. they should have NO problem with it.. and can anyone give me a rought price range for this swap?

$40 for part $30 for labour quoted by Mazda Scarborough

Whos ur dadd
08-25-2005, 04:08 PM
If it\'s anywhere identical, save the $30 labour fee and do it yourself.

I would think the steps would be:

1. Disconnect battery (maybe not even that);
2. Unbolt old horn;
3. Unplug old horn;
4. Plug in new horn;
5. Bolt on new horn.

If the connectors are basically the same, then I\'d think it\'s a 10 minute jobbie.

majic
08-25-2005, 06:24 PM

2. Unbolt old horn;
3. Unplug old horn;
4. Plug in new horn;
5. Bolt on new horn.

If the connectors are basically the same, then I\'d think it\'s a 10 minute jobbie.

first just ask them where the flippin stock horns are :p and how to get to them b/c i had the fugger hoisted up and then said.. eff that and just cut the wire and mounted my hella horns in the engine bay.. i guess all that extra weight won\'t help my 1/4mi time :hoho

Whos ur dadd
08-26-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by majic

2. Unbolt old horn;
3. Unplug old horn;
4. Plug in new horn;
5. Bolt on new horn.

first just ask them where the flippin stock horns are :p and how to get to them b/c i had the fugger hoisted up and then said.. eff that and just cut the wire and mounted my hella horns in the engine bay.. i guess all that extra weight won\'t help my 1/4mi time :hoho

Well, maybe my svelte and dainty hands will have a better time getting to the horns than those oven-mit hands o\' yers, buddy!

Sorry, I thought it was easily accessible just like my Miata. The Miata\'s right in the front, before the rad, easily accessible.

majic
08-26-2005, 10:32 AM

Sorry, I thought it was easily accessible just like my Miata. The Miata\'s right in the front, before the rad, easily accessible.

not 100% sure where.. lol.. but it\'s somewhere below the intake resonator box just below the light. there are 3 horns in total if the manual is correct ;) 2 honking horns (the hi/lo) and the alarm horn. the second of the hi/lo is located symmetrically on the other side of the car..

MZ3_GS
06-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Anyone figure out the stock horn location yet??:zzz

DeLaY_NoMoRe
06-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Last time my fog lights were being installed, Lockdown removed the front bumper and I figured the horn is right beside the radiator grills to its left hand side, but u can\'t really reach it without taking the bumper off as I\'ve seen. :(

MajesticBlueNTO
06-10-2006, 02:00 PM
there\'s only one horn in the North American 3\'s and it is on the driver\'s side below the intake resonator. it is a high-tone horn.

you can get to the horn without removing the bumper (http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=34532.msg751285#msg751285)

You get to the horn through the inside fender well trim from under the car. Get under the car right at the driver\'s side driving light and look to the outside edge near the wheel well. You\'ll see three hex-head/phillips head screws, they are either 6mm or 10mm I forget, pull those and push that piece back out of the way, the stock horn is straight up.

I got a Fiamm low-note Freeway blaster from Pep-Boys, took the stock horn out and saw it was also a Fiamm horn so I figured what the heck I\'ll try both. I simply used one of those Scotch wire taps (14-18ga) to tap in the power lead for the second horn off the stock wire an inch or so up from the stock connector.

The horn bracket that came with the Freeway Blaster fit onto the mount screw for the stock horn. There are enough threads to catch it nice and solid but you have to be patient to get it flushed up so you can get it threaded. The low-note is turned so the horn is a bit forward but still slanted down so water can drain.

The result is nice, sounds like a full sized American car or truck now. The low-note matches the stock nicely as it\'s the same horn manufacturer.

b
06-10-2006, 02:17 PM
I had my horn replaced 2 years ago back at a body shop in Burlington. I had to replace my front bumper as I was hit at the driver side fog light. When they took the bumper off the air intake res. box was damaged and so was the horn. I had them install a Mazda 6 horn. Injen intake & bumper. All I can remember is it is within inches of the factory intake res. box. I think it may be behind it. Hope that helps a bit.

KenYork
06-10-2006, 02:30 PM
http://images12.fotki.com/v236/photos/2/219854/2860769/167_6788-vi.jpg

see that wire by the intake tube.. i think that\'s connected to the horn.

blue3
03-22-2007, 09:52 AM
i have a very loud horn , wolo air horns , ihave 2 trumpets and 1 mini compressor , very loud!

Mazda3GT_Chick
03-26-2007, 04:57 AM
OMG!!!! I want this too!!! this dang horn I have is tooo dang quiet for me!!! (I'm not a crazy driver)!!!

blue3
03-27-2007, 11:30 AM
i know what u mean , now when i honk my horn it sounds like a small transports truck it behind you lol

Jeff-TheBiz
03-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Again with digging up the oldest thread available.

Come on 'blue3', let's keep things a more current.

majic
03-27-2007, 11:55 AM
well this one seems legit since

1) he's already past 50 posts
2) he's selling in BST already ;)
3) he's talking about an upgraded horn (methinks) that sounds like a truck..

meep meep.. :)