PDA

View Full Version : just test drove one of these...

///M
06-01-2005, 03:46 PM
http://www.bmw.ca/media_gallery/media/image/E90_Wallpaper_04_640x480.jpg

I just got back from test driving an E90 330i, sport package, 6MT. Wow. Just...wow. Simply amazing.

I\'ll post more about it when I get home tonight. I think I found my next car - though when I\'ll be able to afford it is another matter. :hoho

TheProfessor
06-01-2005, 04:15 PM
I saw one on the road today and it looked really nice. I still think the 5 series is my favorite style for a sedan right now, but the 3 is still quite nice.

Hazy
06-01-2005, 05:21 PM
I\'ve also saw couple on the road. Damn they are nice cars.. I want to see the 2006 330ci.

///M
06-02-2005, 02:36 AM
I really love this car...the difference between this and the 3 is night and day - then again, that\'s to be expected for something that costs over twice as much.

- Power delivery is incredibly smooth. Nothing I have ever driven even comes close to it.
- The shifter/clutch combo is one of the best I\'ve ever used. It feels really precise and makes the 3\'s clutch feel very mushy by comparison. It does take some getting used to though - the clutch grabs a lot quicker and isn\'t nearly as forgiving as the 3\'s.
- It\'s really powerful - it doesn\'t quite have the kick of a 350Z or the brute force of the Hemi-powered 300C but there seems to be endless torque all the way to 6th gear and as always, it\'s ever so silky smooth.
- The key and engine start button is really neat. The key fob slots into the dash like a memory card, and pressing the engine start button with the clutch and brake depressed will start the car.
- The car feels solid, but somehow less so than the E46.

Whos ur dadd
06-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Glowing reviews all around for the new model. Improved in almost every way over the outgoing 3 series - and that\'s quite an accomplishment.

Too bad this puppy is outta my snack bracket. :(

wongpres
06-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Just like the Mini Test Fly events, BMW had an event at Downsview last week for the \'06 3-series. The BMW one was even better as sessions were two hours and I was one of the few fortunate enough to get registered and I went last Saturday. It\'s an auto-cross type of track with a launch/stop pad at the end. I drove combinations of the 325i & 330i, and sport & normal suspensions.

Best car I have ever driven. Incredible combination of performance and refinement. But is it worth exactly twice the cost of my Mazda3? No, it\'s not twice the car (and the car I priced out was only a 325i with my desired options).

Optimzer
06-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by wongpres

Just like the Mini Test Fly events, BMW had an event at Downsview last week for the \'06 3-series. The BMW one was even better as sessions were two hours and I was one of the few fortunate enough to get registered and I went last Saturday. It\'s an auto-cross type of track with a launch/stop pad at the end. I drove combinations of the 325i & 330i, and sport & normal suspensions.

Best car I have ever driven. Incredible combination of performance and refinement. But is it worth exactly twice the cost of my Mazda3? No, it\'s not twice the car (and the car I priced out was only a 325i with my desired options).

yeah - BMW\'s are definitely overpriced in my opinion especially when you start getting into some of the nicer ones (even 3 series). A decently equipped 330 is way over $60K OTR.

///M
06-04-2005, 02:09 AM
But is it worth exactly twice the cost of my Mazda3? No, it\'s not twice the car (and the car I priced out was only a 325i with my desired options).

I beg to differ. I find it much more than twice the car in terms of driving enjoyment and refinement.

BMWs aren\'t exactly cheap, but there\'s a reason for that. After all, why would there be so many on our roads?

Oh btw - I knew about the test drive event but never knew where to register - I thought it was by invitation only. I took a standard test drive on public roads.

///M
06-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Optimzer

yeah - BMW\'s are definitely overpriced in my opinion especially when you start getting into some of the nicer ones (even 3 series). A decently equipped 330 is way over $60K OTR.

I priced out a 330i with the options I wanted and it came out to about $57k before freight (BMW charges about $1900 for freight!) and taxes. Too bad I don\'t have that sort of money sitting around. :(

billyfo
06-04-2005, 07:57 PM
saw a white one driving east bound Major Mac and waiting to turn left on Jane. overall design is very nice, I say it looks better than the E46, but the sideway V-shape amber light at the headlight make the front end quite off the pace, especailly for white color car. So if I could afford now, definitly opt the sport pack, cause I think it\'ll use the clear corner cover than amber color.

///M
06-04-2005, 09:31 PM
AFAIK all North American models have amber corners, sport package or otherwise. Only the M cars come with clears in NA.

If I were to buy one I\'d definately order the OEM clear corners from Europe. Looks a lot better with them.

Xenon
07-03-2005, 10:10 AM
I have always loved the 3-Series. I just with they stuck with the clear taillight/amber signal combo at the back. The back of the new 3 looks somewhat incomplete, like it\'s just chopped off.

Although I have no doubts that the new 3 outperforms it\'s predecesor in every way, I still like the styling of the 2005 3-series better than the new one, although it\'s not bad.

I just hope that the new Coupe\'s taillights aren\'t going to be as odd-lookin\'