PDA

View Full Version : Minor Stone Scrateches in the paint - How to fix?

Krakor
06-03-2005, 01:33 PM
As anyone driving knows, stone scratches are inevitable. But does anyone know how to inexpensively fix minor scars? And make it look good again? Your help would be appreciated. Oh and other than the touch up paint - that stuff is crap!

Thanks.

Krakor.

Redhouse
06-03-2005, 05:52 PM
It\'s very difficult to match the metallic and mica paint because of the way it is originally sprayed. When you use the mazda approved touch up paint the shiny flecks will not be at similar angles to the flecks in the surrounding original paint.

For the larger chips you\'ll want to paint them though. I\'ve tried using a small amount of laquer thinner to thin the paint and allow less of it to be applied. Also, if you use the mazda approved touch up paint, it can be removed with laquer thinner even after it has dried and been on the car for weeks.

I\'ve tried using coloured wax, and a wax chip stick (coloured Turtle wax+chipstick from Canadian Tire). It works alright, and you can\'t see the primer as easily, but on very close inspection you can still detect a scratch. The problem with the wax chip stick is that even though the stick is quite opaque when you look at it, upon application it is very thin (less than 0.010\") and also translucent. So using the stick only helps somewhat because you can still see through it.

Krakor
06-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks Redhouse. I have a scratch that is not to the undercoat. Still see paint but a definate scratch. I have the sunlight silver metallic colour, will the chipstick work on that?

Anyone else have ideas on how to fix it?

You said get it painted? Who would you trust to take care of it and how much would the charges be? Just asking.

Thans again for your reply.

Krakor.

SwooshICE
06-03-2005, 10:18 PM
for light scratches, ScratchX should work :)

Redhouse
06-04-2005, 10:30 PM
yeah, i have meguiars scratchx also (canadian tire : http://www.autopia-carcare.com/meg-g-10307.html ) for swirl marks and tiny scratches. I think if you read up on \'detailing\' on the web there will be some info on taking care of minor scratches etc.

It looks like there is a silver variety for the chip stick/coloured wax, but I don\'t remember seeing it at cdn tire. here is an image of it http://store1.yimg.com/I/rodi_1848_26109209 . the turtlewax site only showed 4 colours though.

i don\'t know about painting, you\'d have to get the entire panel repainted, and cross your fingers that it turns out like the rest of the car. for tiny scratches though i think it would be overkill.

mazda3boss
06-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Krakor

Thanks Redhouse. I have a scratch that is not to the undercoat. Still see paint but a definate scratch. I have the sunlight silver metallic colour, will the chipstick work on that?

Anyone else have ideas on how to fix it?

You said get it painted? Who would you trust to take care of it and how much would the charges be? Just asking.

Thans again for your reply.

Krakor.

i also have the sunlight silver, its really noticeable as i looked today when i washed it, i should fix that