PDA

View Full Version : scuffs on interior.

elevin
06-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Not sure where this topic would fit... but anyway..

I know it\\\'s really easy to scuff up all the plastic interior of the 3 and i\\\'m more than a little worried.

I just got my car two days ago and i\\\'m being extra careful.. but i just KNOW my stilettos are gonna wreak havoc on the plastic when i exit/enter the car one of these days. :p

How do you get the scuffs out? all my other cars have had beight interior and you can\\\'t really see the scuffs on that.

help me keep my car pretty! :D

Optimzer
06-08-2005, 08:17 PM
depends on how bad the scuffs are I think.

some just come out by rubbing them off. I use a damp cloth.

if it\'s mroe of a scratched scuff, then not sure what to do about that. plastic dressing maybe to help blend it in with the surrounding plastic? but don\'t go overboard with the plastic shine - too much is not good!

I\'d say get door sills but it doesn\'t seem like they protect the right area. :sarc

TheProfessor
06-09-2005, 08:04 AM
I\'ve had some pretty bad scuff marks that I couldn\'t quite get out. I bought those Armour All wipes from Canadian Tire and they worked like a charm. They are a moist towelette type of thing and with just a few quick passes all of them were gone.

Good luck!

FLIPDADY
06-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Yup try the wipes they do work well.

elevin
06-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanx, guys.

I\'ll pick some up this weekend. I think I saw a set of those wipes along with some other armour stuff on sale at walmart.

nifty6
06-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

I\'ve had some pretty bad scuff marks that I couldn\'t quite get out. I bought those Armour All wipes from Canadian Tire and they worked like a charm. They are a moist towelette type of thing and with just a few quick passes all of them were gone.

Good luck!

Use the wipes, I do and they work great

Geologic
06-12-2005, 06:03 PM
are we talking about armour all protectant wipes? they have 4 or 5 bottles of different wipes.

nifty6
06-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Geologic

are we talking about armour all protectant wipes? they have 4 or 5 bottles of different wipes.

I use ARMOR ALL cleaning wipes
cleans dash, vinyl and fabric

on the back
specially formulated to remove tough, ground-in dirt without drying drying out damaging of fading surfaces.

Anybody else use something different

PiCASSO
06-13-2005, 07:19 PM
I\'ve had the same complaint about my Mazda3 from day one. The plastic interior so PRONE to scratches or scuffs. I remember driving down on the 401 to Windsor from Niagara Falls. It was my second day, and there was a dust particle laying on the center dash, just above the radio display. I reached over to flick it off with the bottom of my index figure. It did\'t work the first time, but after the third time, I managed to get it off. In the process I cause a good white streak that really wouldn\'t come off. I was so upset, because if this is the results I would get after the 1st day, image what would happen after a month or even a year.

I\'ve tried various potions and probably did more damage than good. Those wipes do help, but the interior designers of the Mazda should have used a different grain that doesn\'t have the \"sandpaper\" quality to it. I think that they were aiming for a low gloss (or even matte) finish. They succeed in an ideal world. But in the everyday world, that\'s not possible. Perhaps they might sell bra\'s for the interior of the car, like they do for the front ends?

My 2-cents,

PiCASSO

wtom
06-15-2005, 11:36 AM
I STILL have tons of scuff marks and salt stains in my car interior and the door sill area since winter but I just use a damp lint-free clothe to wipe things down. Stain-wise, soap and water on the clothe. Wipe and then rewipe with just water on clothe. Scratches on the other hand will be more difficult to \"fix.\" :D

elevin
06-19-2005, 09:47 PM
I tried that Armour protectant wipe on the interior of my car.. and i hated it. grrrr!!!

maybe i was doing it wrong, but it looked like it damaged the finish of the plastic. it made it more glossy than it originally was. At first i thought i just needed to wait \'til it dried.. but it dried with streaks!!! went home and wipe the hole thing down with water. got most of the streaks out.. but you can still kinda see spots where it\'s more glossy.

good thing i only bought this little sample pack which only had one of each type of Armour wipe.

I think I\'ll have to get some step plates (is that what they are called?) put on. :D

wtom
06-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by elevin

I think I\'ll have to get some step plates (is that what they are called?) put on. :D

You mean the black plastic right at the bottom of the doorway? They be called door sills. :)

I had previously heard that Amour-All is bad for our car\'s interior due to the streaking it leaves behind; http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=2259

Flagrum_3
06-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by wtom

Originally posted by elevin

You mean the black plastic right at the bottom of the doorway? They be called door sills. :)

I had previously heard that Amour-All is bad for our car\'s interior due to the streaking it leaves behind; http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=2259

Armour-all will work fine if you do it right, I\'m not talking the wipes (haven\'t used them) I just use the protectant; spray some on a cloth(not much)and rub it in.It will protect against scuffs.
My present ride is coming up to 14 years old and the interior looks like new (I get alot of compliments on that), no scuffs or scatchs.
You could also try Son of a Bitc....I mean Son of a Gun, If they still sell the stuff.

_3

Redhouse
08-06-2006, 07:46 PM
On scuffs where you\'ve actually deformed the surface, and scratched or shaved off a bit of plastic, I find that polishing that area with a cotton rag will help to darken the mark. I had to polish hard, and the final result leaves the general area a bit shiny, but the scuff is darker and less noticeable.

My next step would be to use heat somehow (dangerous!)

justin
08-06-2006, 08:35 PM
I use Meguiars Gold Class Protectant Wipes (http://www.meguiars.com/?vinyl-rubber-plastic-protectants/Gold-Class-Protectant-Wipes) for any plastic in the car. Nice finish, protects it from the sun, and all that jazz. Well worth it if you ask me.

Zaku_4
08-07-2006, 02:00 AM
wow

stiletto\'s :hoho

3GFX
08-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Wipes or any good cleaner will take out scuffs, but I\'d watch out for the speaker rings on the front doors. My cars previous owner must have had stilettos when she was getting in and out because she\'s left some decent scuffs right down to the bare plastic :( so watch out for that!!

queens49
08-09-2006, 11:48 AM
I use the Armour All wipes as well, but plan on switching to something else after the wipes are done. They are convenient, but they don\'t apply very well on the 3. It does leave streaks, and the only way to not get streaks is to keep wiping/spreading the protectant around. When you first use the cloth, it\'s saturated with the protectant, and the initial wipes get a lot of the protectant on the surface that will leave streaks if you don\'t keeps spreading it around. In the end, it\'s more work with these wipes, to prevent the streaking

justin
08-16-2006, 08:06 AM
Armor All is, IMO, terrible. We had a guy come in yesterday and he had AA\'d his whole car on the inside . The stuff was almost impossible to remove. Every nook and cranny was covered in the crap.

AA dries everything out, leaves streaks, and causes stuff to crack eventually. Your best bet is Meguiars Gold Class Protectant Wipes. I have a tub and it\'s better than anything else I\'ve tried out there.

SourcE
08-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by justin
AA dries everything out, leaves streaks, and causes stuff to crack eventually. Your best bet is Meguiars Gold Class Protectant Wipes. I have a tub and it\'s better than anything else I\'ve tried out there.
+1, work like a charm....

btw, how the hell do you drive in stilettoes anyways....! :p

Speedy2008
01-31-2008, 11:55 PM
I tried that Armour protectant wipe on the interior of my car.. and i hated it. grrrr!!!

maybe i was doing it wrong, but it looked like it damaged the finish of the plastic. it made it more glossy than it originally was. At first i thought i just needed to wait \'til it dried.. but it dried with streaks!!! went home and wipe the hole thing down with water. got most of the streaks out.. but you can still kinda see spots where it\'s more glossy.

good thing i only bought this little sample pack which only had one of each type of Armour wipe.

Yeah, I tried this stuff as well because I wanted to reduce the appearance of a scuff mark on my glovebox. I ended up wiping various surfaces around my car but after letting it sit for day, I decided to wipe it all off with water and a paper towel because it leaves an ugly uneven appearance. Mazda makes interior plastics with a dry matte finish so in order for the protectant wipes to "work," you have to cover every inch of plastic interior with this stuff. Otherwise, it leaves shiny spots in the places that were wiped down. Not recommended on a Mazdaspeed 3 interior.

Flagrum_3
02-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Armor All is, IMO, terrible.

How can you make a comment like that, honestly, Have you used the product long enough to come to that conclusion? ...I'll admit its not the best stuff out there but, I used it for 14 years on my other ride and never had a problem with it drying out, leaving streaks and especially cracks! My whole interior plastics still look like new even today.

_3

bunchi
03-02-2008, 09:52 PM
How can you make a comment like that, honestly, Have you used the product long enough to come to that conclusion? ...I'll admit its not the best stuff out there but, I used it for 14 years on my other ride and never had a problem with it drying out, leaving streaks and especially cracks! My whole interior plastics still look like new even today.

_3

_3, what about in you 3? do you use AA? I haven't tried it on mine yet but I use it all the time on my other car and all the others before that. gotten quite a bit of complements as well :) i'm still a bit hesitant to use it on the 3 because of how the interior has a matte finish and I'm thinking it could be harder to spread AA to make it even on all surfaces. and also because i kinda like the matte finish... and no cracks or streaks for me too! i don't use the wipes though, I spray it onto a cloth and wipe it over.

EvilEric
03-03-2008, 09:46 AM

Shouldn't have dried with streaks. Is it the orange bottle? Did you use multiple wipes on a really dirty part or just the same wipe?