PDA

View Full Version : My rim is corroding

super_vixen
06-20-2005, 10:01 PM
I take good care of my car..I always have. My tires/rims were off from October - April, so really, the tires that came with the car have only seen 5 months of wear. They were stored well over the winter, and I always clean and dry my rims after washes, etc.

I noticed today while washing my car that my back rim on the drivers side is bubbling around the emblem. I would assume its corrosion of some sort, and it\'s start to do it along the stems of the rim as well...but only one rim is doing this...how is that possible?

I\'m a little ticked off, considering the car isn\'t even a year old yet, and one of my rims is already doing this...I\'m tempted to take it into the dealer and complain, and if they don\'t do anything, contacting Mazda Canada and bitching until something is done.

majic
06-20-2005, 10:08 PM
you mean like this? (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=2460)

super_vixen
06-20-2005, 10:43 PM
similar to the centre problem (mine looks worse than that), but it doesn\'t explain the problem that is not at the centre...

majic
06-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by super_vixen

similar to the centre problem (mine looks worse than that), but it doesn\'t explain the problem that is not at the centre...

i\'m not sure what you mean but in the first post you say it\'s only 1 rim. perhaps it was the last one from a bad batch? poor clearcoat, bad QA on that rim.. you should be able to get it fixed by the dealer and although rusting/paint chips aren\'t really covered, this is a one-off problem where you could build your case..

pics?

super_vixen
06-20-2005, 11:30 PM
My front rims look mint. There isn\'t a problem there whatsoever. My rear driver side rim is screwed beyond belief, and my rear passenger rim could possibly be starting to corrode around the centre, but its nothing like the driver side one.

Didn\'t have time to take the pics tonight...got too dark beforehand..will try and get some tomorrow.

Originally posted by majic

i\'m not sure what you mean but in the first post you say it\'s only 1 rim. perhaps it was the last one from a bad batch? poor clearcoat, bad QA on that rim.. you should be able to get it fixed by the dealer and although rusting/paint chips aren\'t really covered, this is a one-off problem where you could build your case..

pics?

Optimzer
06-21-2005, 01:09 AM
\'screwed beyond belief\' - wow, that sounds horrible. maybe you\'re being overdramatic b/c you love your car so much. :p

I think that mazda is aware of the problem (at least the one majic referred to) b/c i think i remember reading somewhere that they will fix it under warranty. :sarc

super_vixen
06-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Optimzer

\'screwed beyond belief\' - wow, that sounds horrible. maybe you\'re being overdramatic b/c you love your car so much. :p

I think that mazda is aware of the problem (at least the one majic referred to) b/c i think i remember reading somewhere that they will fix it under warranty. :sarc

I think it has very little to do with \"loving my car so much\", and instead it has to do with \"why did I spend $30,000 for this to happen in less than a year\".

Junior
06-21-2005, 10:34 AM
as long as your still under warranty they\'ll replace the rim ... as stated before, it\'s prolly off a bad batch, lucky for you it was only 1 rim and not all four.

rene
06-21-2005, 11:18 AM
when I read Picasso\'s post about his rims, I went to check mine right away. To my surprise, I got them as well .... all 4 rims. I have the bubbles no peeling off yet. I went to my dealer and have them looked. Now I\'m getting new ones, all 4 of them. I have an 05 sedan, 7 month old and less than 7k km.

Call your dealer and have them checked. Bring some print out/ pics from other members w/ you when you go. That\'s what I did. Good luck!

TheProfessor
06-21-2005, 02:59 PM
A friend had this happen on his P5 and they replaced all four under warranty. Just take it to them whenever you can (unless you\'re almost out of warranty, then hurry the hell up:p )

super_vixen
06-26-2005, 06:40 PM
I took it to the dealer on Friday at lunch...

The person I was first talking to said that I could bring it in at my next service appt....which is going to be MONTHS (3-4) down the road, as i just had the car in for service not long ago. So I said, what will they do, and she said they will refinish the rims. I mentioned that I knew of others with the same problem who had their rims outright replaced under warranty, and she says Mazda had told them to just refinish them now.

I wasn\'t happy..I don\'t want to have the same rims iwth the same issues...I\'d much rather have a whole new set, but how on earth do you talk that into a dealer...Ajax has always given me issues with this crap.

So then another guy can out to look. He said I could come in before my next service, and they would wipe them down, check out the damage and see if they can refinish or if I need to get new rims. Still didn\'t answer my question, but it\'s worth seeing.
Forgot to ask if it was under warranty, but I\'ll be sure to get that before any work gets done.

Such a pain in the rear.

Ex-Rolla
06-26-2005, 10:10 PM
I recommend going to another dealership. Unfortunately i have found that there is absolutely no consistency between dealerships and their policies.

Ex

rene
06-27-2005, 01:32 AM

I took it to the dealer on Friday at lunch...

The person I was first talking to said that I could bring it in at my next service appt....which is going to be MONTHS (3-4) down the road, as i just had the car in for service not long ago. So I said, what will they do, and she said they will refinish the rims. I mentioned that I knew of others with the same problem who had their rims outright replaced under warranty, and she says Mazda had told them to just refinish them now.

I wasn\'t happy..I don\'t want to have the same rims iwth the same issues...I\'d much rather have a whole new set, but how on earth do you talk that into a dealer...Ajax has always given me issues with this crap.

So then another guy can out to look. He said I could come in before my next service, and they would wipe them down, check out the damage and see if they can refinish or if I need to get new rims. Still didn\'t answer my question, but it\'s worth seeing.
Forgot to ask if it was under warranty, but I\'ll be sure to get that before any work gets done.

Such a pain in the rear.

I called my dealer last Friday and they told me, my rims (new sets) are in. Why not try other dealership as Ex-Rolla said.

I think there is more hassle in refinishing them b/c ... 1) the dealer must put on a set of wheels on your 3 while your rims are being refinished if they have some lying around .... 2) or get you a rent a car for a few days, which is costly.

Good luck again!

super_vixen
06-27-2005, 02:41 PM
I only have two dealers in my vicinity....Ajax (where I bought my car) and Whitby (which treats me like shit everytime I go in)...otherwise the next closest dealer is Scarborough/Toronto area..which is a big drive for me just to go get the rims checked. I\'d love to just phone them and see if they will replace them, but I know they\'ll want to see it first, and then make an appt. and then blah blah blah. So at least 2 visits later, and I work 2 jobs full time...

Hah...this is why I wish dealers were open on Sundays...the only day I\'m completely free.

majic
06-27-2005, 03:05 PM

I\'d love to just phone them and see if they will replace them, but I know they\'ll want to see it first, and then make an appt. and then blah blah blah. So at least 2 visits later, and I work 2 jobs full time...

why not ask if you can send them pix so they can judge based on that?? and wow.. 2 jobs and a kid.. damn :( props to you mad woman!

Flagrum_3
06-30-2005, 05:21 PM

I only have two dealers in my vicinity....Ajax (where I bought my car) and Whitby (which treats me like shit everytime I go in)...otherwise the next closest dealer is Scarborough/Toronto area..which is a big drive for me just to go get the rims checked. I\'d love to just phone them and see if they will replace them, but I know they\'ll want to see it first, and then make an appt. and then blah blah blah. So at least 2 visits later, and I work 2 jobs full time...

Hah...this is why I wish dealers were open on Sundays...the only day I\'m completely free.

Hi Super_vixen, Suggestion; Take it to Ajax Mazda,...since you bought it there, ask to speak to the manager, hopefully they should treat you better.

But like Majic says, if its possible take a couple of good pics and call up Ajax and ask to send them pics first by email,...to see what they say.

If it was me, I would just nicely demand new rims under warranty and \"under no circumstance accept refinished\" please.

The rims \'should\' be covered for 3 years- 60k kms and if they are corroding or peeling it is undoubtably a manufacturer defect.Unless the damage is a result of neglegence on your part there should be no excuse not to replace them.

Also about the treatment you have received at the one dealership (Whitby) that is completely unacceptable IMO and I would definitely have asked to speak to the manager or have called Mazda Canada.They were completely giving you the blow-by.

Just remember, your right you paid $30,000 for this car and you are the customer don\'t take any $hit from them.

_3

FLIPDADY
07-02-2005, 10:14 AM
What are they doing? Rim corrosion this early in the cars life is not normal at all. We\'re replacing Protege 5 rims for a customer and the car\'s an 03 model. Come by the dealership on a Saturday and speak to either myself or Dave. Forget about those guys at Ajax or Whitby they obviously don\'t want to help you.

super_vixen
07-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

What are they doing? Rim corrosion this early in the cars life is not normal at all. We\'re replacing Protege 5 rims for a customer and the car\'s an 03 model. Come by the dealership on a Saturday and speak to either myself or Dave. Forget about those guys at Ajax or Whitby they obviously don\'t want to help you.

I\'d love to come see you if I could, because I know you won\'t screw with me :) Unfortunately, as I said above...I\'m a workaholic. My Saturdays for the next 3 weeks (yesterday was week 1), I have weddings to photograph, and I\'m there a solid 8 hours, so I\'m not able to get to a dealer. Sundays are when I\'m free, but dealers aren\'t open. Plus, me coming from Oshawa doesn\'t make it easy either. And I have a full time day job as well.

I have a free week end of July, so I might be able to get there then...

bluntman
07-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Joe, when I get a chance I\'m going to show you one of my stock rims, the paint seems to be bubbling. Maybe this will need to be looked at by Mazda?

mazda3boss
07-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

Joe, when I get a chance I\'m going to show you one of my stock rims, the paint seems to be bubbling. Maybe this will need to be looked at by Mazda?\'

ya mine were bubbling as well, my stocks, now i dont have the stocks, but they have some bubbles or somethin

Newlook
07-04-2005, 12:04 AM
I also have some corrosions on mine but not so bad yet...

rene
07-10-2005, 01:24 AM
I just got my new rims installed today (sat.). 4 brand new rims! My old ones have those bubbles just around that center hole where the center cap goes. Replaced under warranty.

Joel
07-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Wow guys

I also have some peeling that appears lately. It\'s getting quite spread among us and look like more than a simple bad batch, dont you think. Is it only on the \'04 or some \'05 have that too?

I\'m probly gonna ask my dealer about that. Hope they wont complain about the scratch I have from a previous rubbing.