Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto- dimming mirrors with compass and temperature

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'Auto- dimming mirrors with compass and temperature\'

Isn\'t the one being offered in this thread a genuine Mazda part? If so, it\'s gonna be considerably more than an aftermarket unit. Either way, I guess we\'ll see soon enough what the price will be, but I still have a feeling it\'s gonna be more $300.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'Auto- dimming mirrors with compass and temperature\'

I meant you can get the Geniune OEM Mazda mirror as an aftermarket accessory for your car. I said it would be a $300 option, you\'re the one would said it was going to be $500.

$177 USD from Showcase Mazda USA

So we\'re at $215 CDN with a (1.22 conversion rate). Add about $100 for dealer installation, which puts us at around $300 CDN.

If you read up a few posts, thats exactly what I said.
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT|Winning Blue| OG 2.3L @ 450,000 km & counting

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I hope for everyone interested that it costs $100CAD installed, but I\'m just saying I have a feeling it\'s gonna be a lot.

Edit: If you price out a base Mazda6 on mazda.ca you can add the auto-dimming mirror with compass for $307CAD plus tax and install. So on a Mazda6 you\'re at a minimum of about $400, and that doesn\'t include any parts required to work with rain sensing wipers, and the mirror does not have an ambient air temp sensor.

Guess we\'ll just have to wait and see what the Canadian pricing will be.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'Auto-

Originally posted by PSIVIC

I had the auto dimming mirror in my 6 and while useful I wouldn\'t pay any significant money for it. I say this mirror will be in the $500 neighborhood, which IMO isn\'t worth it (especially if you have an 06 where you already have the ambient temp sensor).
    I just don\'t see it being in $500 neighborhood for that part. Then again I don\'t work for Mazda of Canada Inc. arc Stranger things have happen, like the Mazda5 shift knob thats ~$160. :p

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess, if someone really wants this option then a few hundred $$$ will not make a difference.
    2004 Mazda3 -GT GFX Sedan
    Lava Orange

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by civiclad

Guess, if someone really wants this option then a few hundred $$$ will not make a difference.
    Very true.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could some one suggest any good American parts dealer who can install the mirror on a Canadian Mazda 3, 2005, which has an auto rain sensor. I am travelling to New York/ Jersey and can use the opportunity to have it installed on the way.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should probably check over at mazda3forums since you can ask some American members or read about past experiences with some dealers in that area. Why not just wait until it\'s available here though?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this sounds interesting.. but I don\'t think I\'ll have $300 to blow on something like this.. damn u economy.. give me more money!! :p
    Dave

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since i role in a 05 gx i was able to get the gentex 51k auto dimming with homecomming temperature and compass mirror cost me about 200 us from ebay it works like a charm except i have not had time to troubleshoot the homecomming ink yet
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody have a pic of how it looks like?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Replying to Topic \'Auto- dimming mirrors with compass and temperature\'

Quote Originally Posted by Gods Son View Post
    Anybody have a pic of how it looks like?
    This is a very late response but...

2006 Mazda 3 Sport GT●Black Mica●Manual●Sunroof

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Auto- dimming mirrors with compass and temperature

My invoice for my 3 had it down (I wanted it) and I was charged for it. It was to be installed at time of delivery. I waited 1 month for it to come in stock and when it did... They couldn't hook it up. Yes. It was due to the wiring & bracket for the auto wipers. This was back in 2003. It took me 2 months to get my money back. Burlington mazda kept saying "we are waiting for a fix from mazda canada" so... long story short... I wanted it and was willing to pay for it. Just couldn't get it at the time... now that it will work with our cars... I could care less. Lost it's appeal.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1

The only thing I was interested in was the compass. But I would rather get a GPS navigator that will tell me direction and so much more for a couple of hundred dollars more.

I could care less about the auto-dimming feature.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarbro View Post
    I could care less about the auto-dimming feature.
    I used to feel the same way. I got mine to get the compass and ambient temp reading (2003-2005 didn't have amb temp reading). Now I love the auto dimming feature especially because the Mazda3s are pretty low from factory, its not hard for mini vans and pick ups trunks to be shooting their headlights straight at your rear view mirror. I can tell the difference because my side mirrors are blinding me while the rearview doesn't.

Blackman: Back in 2003, there was no "fix" for the rain sensor. The problem was these mirrors have the compass at the base of the mirror which conflicted with the rain sensors. Well a little bit of brain work our end solved that. Here is the link to what DonalidTin and I did to fix that issue making the retrofit possible.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13224

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaptor View Post
    I used to feel the same way. I got mine to get the compass and ambient temp reading (2003-2005 didn't have amb temp reading). Now I love the auto dimming feature especially because the Mazda3s are pretty low from factory, its not hard for mini vans and pick ups trunks to be shooting their headlights straight at your rear view mirror. I can tell the difference because my side mirrors are blinding me while the rearview doesn't.

Blackman: Back in 2003, there was no "fix" for the rain sensor. The problem was these mirrors have the compass at the base of the mirror which conflicted with the rain sensors. Well a little bit of brain work our end solved that. Here is the link to what DonalidTin and I did to fix that issue making the retrofit possible.

You are the best... thank you.

(damn... I hit quote and it logged me out and I had to login and come back to this post)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Np man. If you want to tackle this project and need some help, give me a shout. The install is actually quite straight forward.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Np man. If you want to tackle this project and need some help, give me a shout. The install is actually quite straight forward.
    Thanks RedRaptor, I appreciate the offer. I am going to think about this. I kinda wrote it off a few years ago... but now that I know that it is possible... I bet it will eat away at me until I do it. I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume you didn't buy the one with the install kit for cars with rain sensors?

How fast is the auto dimmer? Is it instantaneous?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my post that I linked (I'm assuming you didn't even read it), I specified what parts I needed and bought for the install. As I've mentioned, the only reason why the older auto dimming mirrors don't fit is the compass base that is found at the bottom of the mirror stalk. The newer models don't have this compass base because they have probably integrated inside the mirror. All the Rain Sensor Kit is: a new updated cover for your rainsensor, some wire harnesses and some zip ties. I bought the Rain Sensor Kit for the updated cover and if you looked at my pictures, you would have noticed that my rain sensor cover isn't the stock one.

The auto-dimm is instant. There is a light sensor in the back and when the ambient light is low, auto dimm is active. In the morning, it acts like a regular mirror. I've always said this, don't knock it until you've tried it.

EDIT: I don't mean to pick on you...but seriously, you have to actually read my linked post before asking me the same questions that I've already answered.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the response. I wasn't knocking the auto-dim feature at all. In fact, I've never even seen it before.

I just got a line on one of these things for diiiiirt cheap (newer one without homelink). I'm debating on whether or not it's worth it. I might just jump on it. A compass would be nice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I get a car, this is something I absolutely will be getting. There's a dealer on eBay selling them for a reasonable price.

I've wanted it for years but the Canadian distributer I found a few years back wanted something rediculous (I believe it was around $800) for the aftermarket one.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is a nice thing to have in the car... Depending on the price.... 200 is a bit much I think. In reality our M3's have a lot of High-End car toys in them already....I think the mirror would definitely compliment them all! I personally like the LED Side mirrors that had leds front and rear as well auto-fold close and open! but 500US for them is a lot! But I think I might get em one day!
    2013-AudiTTS-Ibis White-Stage 2+ APR

Ride
    Subaru BRZ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's actually not that pricey compared to what other auto manufacturerers charge for the option.

Auto-Dimming Mirror $157.47

Install kit (required) $27.82

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPSPEED View Post
    It's actually not that pricey compared to what other auto manufacturerers charge for the option.

Auto-Dimming Mirror $157.47

Install kit (required) $27.82
    Is that all they cost through you? What about the one with HomeLink?

It's over $400 on the options list!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast