Thread: city mpg for other 4cyl ATX and epa #s

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default city mpg for other 4cyl ATX and epa #\'s

As shown in the most recent Consumer Reports 2006 New Car Review.

First # is the mpg CITY achieved by \"CR\" Road Testers. 2nd # is EPA estimate mpgCITY for that car.
    Third # is % worse mpg achieved by Road Testers compared to EPA #\'s. Sorry, #\'s are in Miles Per US Gallon. To convert to miles per Imperial Gallon multiply by 1.208

VolvoS40-14-22-37/Matrix-17-26-34/Corolla-20-29-31/Aerio-18-25-28/Aveo-19-26-27/Cobalt-15-23-35
    FocusZX4-17-26-34/CRV-15-22-32/Elantra-16-24-33/Sprectra-18-24-25/Lancer-19-24-20/Altima-16-23-30
    Vibe-18-29-38/Ion-17-24-29/ScionxA-20-32-38/Forester-15-23-35/Impreza-16-21-24

MZ 2.0..../5spd-21/28-25/ATX-18-26-30

I have no idea how \"CR\" road testers did their \"CITY\" tests but to me the #\'s actually look a tad low. Anyway, ALL these vehicles real world city mpg is quite a bit worse than EPA #\'s and in my opinion the 2.0 MZ3 more than holds it\'s own against this competition. There were no \"CR\" #\'s for 2.3 ATX.

I think a lot of us are (were) disappointed in the fuel economy of our 3\'s just because we \"EXPECTED\" better. I was. My other car is a 225HP ATX Acura3.2TL which flies when I call on it to. In \"nice\" weather I get 28-29mpUSgal hwy and around 18 city with it. My 2.3ATX averages 29mpUSgal highway (at 60-65mph and then worse when driven faster) and 19-20mpg city (in nice weather). Not much difference except TL takes premium gas.
    I just \"expected\" when I bot the3 that this smaller far less powerful car would get much better mileage than the TL. It doesn\'t. My \"expectations\" were more the problem here than the actual performance of the 2.3ATX especially since one of the main reasons I bot the3 was I \"expected\" to get far better mpg with it than the TL.
    But when you look at \"city\" mpg for the above listed 4cyl ATX vehicles, none of them get fantastic mileage and the MZ3 more than hold it\'s own. My \"expectations\" for the 3 when I bot it were just far to high (partially based on EPA #\'s which I now realize are a joke on the consumer - particularly their \"city\" mpg figures).
    My main \"gripe\" with my3 has always been what I PERCEIVED to be lousy mileage based on my very high (but poorly educated) expectations. I \"expected\" much better mpg than I was getting and was always disappointed with what I got.
    Thanks to ongoing mileage research into fuel economy (and some rationalizing) I\'m just now figuring out that my3 IS doing as good as other 4cyl ATX\'s out there and I\'ll just have to live with it. So from here on in I\'m just going to relax (provided I can get that harsh 1>2 shift thing fixed) and enjoy other aspects of the3. Course I will continue to be a tad disappointed-I really do WANT 28mpg city...but now I\'ll just be disappointed in the fact I was wrong in \"expecting\" so much.
    FOOTNOTE: For those of you who DO A LOT OF CITY DRIVING...and may be relatively new to car ownership...winter driving...or have recently started to track mileage.. when the temperatures turn quite cold don\'t be surprised or shocked to see your mpg drop 10, 20, 30, 40%. It just happens in cold weather city driving due to engine taking much longer to warm up and \"winter\" gas which is a much richer mix than at other times of the year.

everfeb
    '04 Sport GT WB 2.3ATX. Moonroof. A/C. Build date Oct'03. Purchased Dec 11 2003.

'99 Acura 3.2TL base. Tranny warranty expired Mar.10, 2006..4 spd Tranny is fine. Top Speed Driven 152mph (244kph) for about 15 seconds.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'city mpg for other 4cyl ATX and epa #\'s\'

Hey, your experiencing harsh shifting between 1st and 2nd too? I have ever since I owned my car (at times it worse than others) anyway I know have 36 000 kms on it and it is still doing it so it\'s not a breaking in thing, it\'s a problem. I have tried the ETB and it has done nothing, I\'m going to take it off before I bring it in to Mazda to complain about this. My old 1993 Nissan sentra with 180 000 kms on it shifted smoother than my Mazda 2.3L.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'city mpg for other 4cyl ATX and epa #\'s\'

Originally posted by M34ME

Hey, your experiencing harsh shifting between 1st and 2nd too? I have ever since I owned my car (at times it worse than others) anyway I know have 36 000 kms on it and it is still doing it so it\'s not a breaking in thing, it\'s a problem. I have tried the ETB and it has done nothing, I\'m going to take it off before I bring it in to Mazda to complain about this. My old 1993 Nissan sentra with 180 000 kms on it shifted smoother than my Mazda 2.3L.
    please continue your rant here and discuss EPA #s and mileage related stuff in this thread..