Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Issues after STech Install

  1. #1
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Issues after STech Install

    Hey guys, I was hoping someone can help me out. I\'ve done some searching but I cant find anything really concreate.


    I just installed my STech\'s this past weekend, everything seems to have gone okay except for some wierd noises I am having. The first noise I find is coming from the front passenger side on slow turns. It sounds more like a \"binding\" noise that is being released. With Joe\'s help I figure that this is due to a damaged Front Upper Mount (my fault).

    Other wise the car runs straight and quiet at speeds faster than about 10km.

    The other noise that I am hearing is like a \"rubbing\" noise at slow speeds.... I think from the rear. It sound like when you run your thumb against a perfectly clean tupperware. It is in tune with the revolutions of the tires. It goes away once I start to pick up some speed. I dont believe, see or feel anything rubbing. Does anyone have any input???

    BTW, today would be the first full day that the springs are installed.. how many days would it take to settle?? Will the noise possibly go away as it settles??

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Newbie zoomx3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    39
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    who install your spring? did they cut your bump stopper?

  3. #3
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    Originally posted by zoomx3


    who install your spring? did they cut your bump stopper?
    OH sorry I forgot to mention... The install was done by my cousin and I. The bumpstops were not cut at all, both front and rear. All the work was done using airtools and rechecked to make sure they were tight.

  4. #4
    Sponsor

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,823
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    Should this be under suspension and brakes? Since its not an OEM part problem?

    2010 Subaru STI

    Mods:
    Not enough room to list

  5. #5
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    Originally posted by Pearl_Hatch


    Should this be under suspension and brakes? Since its not an OEM part problem?
    Point taken... Can mods please move accordingly.. Thank you

  6. #6
    Newbie zoomx3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    39
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    oh that\'s why! same thing happened to me. you have to cut it & there is a guide that comes with your springs that specifies the instructions on how much and how long are you gonna cut the bump stopper.

  7. #7
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    both front and rear??

    I know that there a number of memebers on here that didn\'t have thier bumpstops cut and did fine, but I will look into it and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

  8. #8
    Sponsor

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,823
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    What the hell is a bump stopper? I never had to cut anything when i installed my springs.

  9. #9
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    Pics & Thread Re: Bump Stops


    The rears are easily visable, the fronts are not and are connected to the Upper Mount.

  10. #10
    Sponsor

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,823
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    But still, i still never had to cut anything when i installed my springs. Is it only the S-techs?

  11. #11
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    Originally posted by Pearl_Hatch


    But still, i still never had to cut anything when i installed my springs. Is it only the S-techs?
    Yup, I know that the Tein instructions stated that the front stops \"should\" be cut. I am aware that some have and some have not. There has been no problems that I am aware of in both cases.

    I didn\'t cut mine because I do know that many have not, and have not had any problems. But it seems that Zoomx3 did and his issues were resolved. So it may be case dependant.... not sure.... odd thou.

    Aside, from the suggestions of cutting the bump stops what else could it be??

  12. #12
    Sr Member MAZDA Kitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Stoney Creek
    Posts
    5,469
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    I didnt cut my either but there is some squeaking noise once in a while; i dont know if they are related but ....

    2004 Mazda3 GT { BLACK MICA / 5MT / GFX pkg / BLACK, RED & GOLD BEEBS }

  13. #13
    Sponsor

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,823
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    I remember i had some weird noise right after i drove off the shop from school. But my friend told me the spring needs to sit and settle at the right spot thats why it moves to adjust the correct setting. But soon it disappeared.

  14. #14
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    Originally posted by Pearl_Hatch


    I remember i had some weird noise right after i drove off the shop from school. But my friend told me the spring needs to sit and settle at the right spot thats why it moves to adjust the correct setting. But soon it disappeared.

    Thanks Pearl & Mk for your input. I just installed them last sunday so that is what I hope it is... just then trying to sit properly and get adjusted. Ill give it a few days to see what happens.

    The main noise Im concerned about at the moment is just the one that seems to be in unison with the tires when they rotate at slow speeds. Never heard this noise before. The \"Popping\" noise I think I know what it is and how to fix it... but this noise alludes me...

    Ill keep an ear out and see what happens....




  15. #15
    Sr Member MAZDA Kitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Stoney Creek
    Posts
    5,469
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    Okay if you put it like that then I\'d be worried!

  16. #16
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    Okay,


    For an update. The noise from what I believe to be is the rear still remains. I have greased any of the bolts that were worked on... ie the sway bar & control arm. I dont hear any acutal \"metal\" sound except for this squeaking/rubbing noise. It is in unison with the tires turning, and only at crawl speeds less than 20km/hr. After that speed its quiet.

    I do not hear it in Reverse... but then again im not going that fast in reverse. However I do notice that the sound goes away as I start to apply more pressure on the brakes. If I \"ride\" the brakes at slower speeds, it seems to go away or stay quiet, but when I coast... I hear it.

    I have gathered that it may be an issue with my brakes... but what?? something mis-aligned, stuck, broken???

    I still do hear a bit of \"popping\" from my suspension when I start reversing and the occasional turn, but its not as constant as this rubbing noise.

    Anybody have any input??

  17. #17
    Sr Member TheProfessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,514
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    Why not just get it checked out by a shop?

  18. #18
    Member Caz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,804
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    +1
    2006 Mazda3 Sport GT - Snowflake Pearl White - Luxury Package
    2006 Mazda Tribute GS-V6 - Light Silver Metallic

  19. #19
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    OKAY ----- MAJOR ISSUE!!!

    My Stupidness, Co-Incidence or Vandals??


    Okay, I dont know if this is co-incidence, my stupidness or vandals but here goes my story.
    Today, May 17. 06

    I didn\'t drive into work today but when I got home at 6pm I decided to pick up my GF at Don Mill ST. On the way there from my house at Finch & Pharmacy I noticed that the \"Rubbing\" sound was still there, but seems to stick around at higher speeds to (around50-60) but not as noticable.
    I took the DVP from Finch to Sheppard and noticed a Vibration and a noise coming from the rear and I figured that it was the tires out of alignment. When I got out of the car at Fairview mall I was frustrated with the whole situation and decided to maybe look at that rear passenger tire one more time and what did I see.....

    I WAS MISSING 3 OUT OF 5 LUG NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    The two remaining was one locking nut and a regular nut. I was scared outta my mind. Freaking out I quickly got an old extras out of my trunk and put them on. The remaining locking nut was fairly tight, and the other nut was loose. I quickly tightened them and checked all the other wheels.
    All the other wheels were nice and tight and I could barely get them to budge using the stock tire rod and most of my body weight.

    Now, all the wheels and nuts were put on using an impact wrench and rechecked. I know even as of yesterday after noon that all the nuts were on because I have been obsessing over that noise and checking that wheel over and over again.

    I have driven at total of less than 100km since the install of my springs, have not gone over 100km more than once and driven an avg speed of 60km since the install.
    Now, I do know that a lug nut can loosen, and that the vibration of the tire, more-so a mis-aligned tire can vibrate lugs off, but three???
    All the tires were put on the same, using the \"star\" pattern. Why would the Locking nut still be fairly tight and the other tires rock solid??

    Now this is what makes me think its vandals.

    I live in Scarborough, and over the past two-three years my particular street has had issues with tires being slashed multiple times in the middle of the night. This usually happened at the cars that would park ON the street directly across from my house. There is a row or a area that aprox 5 cars can park. Often since many of the people on my street have two or more cars, they use the spaces. During the summer months, we find that often many get their tires slashed.

    Now, my family happens to have three cars and there is always two cars outside on my driveway.
    The other morning (Tuesday), my brother asked me to check the tire pressure on one of his tires that he was concerned about and I noticed that he was missing 1 out of 4 of his lugnuts, His locknut. Thinking nothing of it, I told him to be carefull and to have it replaced before he drove it. (this was his front passenger side, His car was outside, my car was in the garage)

    Now today, I have lost 3/5 lugnuts, my rear passenger side.... my car was outside last night. My brothers was in the garage.

    Now the passenger side of the car that parks outside at night is well hiden in our driveway because my dad parks his big SUV beside who\'s ever\'s car is in the driveway. If you crouch down to the tire level of the car, you are hiden from any of the windows in the house, because you are blocked my the SUV and hidden fairly well from traffic on my street.

    AT first I was furious at myself because, I dont know how stupid I could have been not tightening the bolts proplerly. I maybe an amateur, but I know enough how to tighten my own wheels. Used an Impact Wrench, and know they were on as of yesterday afternoon.

    When my brother brought up that it unlikely that I was that stupid, he brought up that he has a feeling that it was vandals.... since he lost his nut too. He swears that he had his nuts on tight also as of just recently.

    ---- What are the odds of my Vibrating off 3/5 nuts in a distance of less than 10km?
    ---- An overall distance of less than 100km??
    ---- Its odd that my bro has also lost a Nut
    ---- Both vehicles on the passenger side - which is well hidden
    ---- Both vehicles were outside the night prior to discovery of the missing nuts.

    Seems fishy to me.... but im not ruling out very high co-incidence and my stupidness.
    But since I did tighten the new bolts.. the \"rubbing\" noise hasn\'t seemed to come back YET.....

  20. #20
    Sr Member bluntman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    46
    Ride
    2011 KIA Sportage SX
    Posts
    6,770
    Thanks
    698
    Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'



    Originally posted by eguiyab


    ---- Its odd that my bro has also lost a Nut
    Ouch. I hope this will make you guys feel better:

    http://www.cfra.com/headlines/index....&nid=39163


















    I\'m sorry, but after reading your whole story, this stuck out like a sore thumb.
    flickr

    "boom goes the dynamite"

  21. #21
    Sr Member TheProfessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,514
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    So with all five lugnuts on are you still experiencing the problem?

  22. #22
    Member cyberscorpi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,826
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    Originally posted by eguiyab


    OKAY ----- MAJOR ISSUE!!!

    My Stupidness, Co-Incidence or Vandals??


    Okay, I dont know if this is co-incidence, my stupidness or vandals but here goes my story.
    Today, May 17. 06

    I didn\'t drive into work today but when I got home at 6pm I decided to pick up my GF at Don Mill ST. On the way there from my house at Finch & Pharmacy I noticed that the \"Rubbing\" sound was still there, but seems to stick around at higher speeds to (around50-60) but not as noticable.
    I took the DVP from Finch to Sheppard and noticed a Vibration and a noise coming from the rear and I figured that it was the tires out of alignment. When I got out of the car at Fairview mall I was frustrated with the whole situation and decided to maybe look at that rear passenger tire one more time and what did I see.....

    I WAS MISSING 3 OUT OF 5 LUG NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    The two remaining was one locking nut and a regular nut. I was scared outta my mind. Freaking out I quickly got an old extras out of my trunk and put them on. The remaining locking nut was fairly tight, and the other nut was loose. I quickly tightened them and checked all the other wheels.
    All the other wheels were nice and tight and I could barely get them to budge using the stock tire rod and most of my body weight.

    Now, all the wheels and nuts were put on using an impact wrench and rechecked. I know even as of yesterday after noon that all the nuts were on because I have been obsessing over that noise and checking that wheel over and over again.

    I have driven at total of less than 100km since the install of my springs, have not gone over 100km more than once and driven an avg speed of 60km since the install.
    Now, I do know that a lug nut can loosen, and that the vibration of the tire, more-so a mis-aligned tire can vibrate lugs off, but three???
    All the tires were put on the same, using the \"star\" pattern. Why would the Locking nut still be fairly tight and the other tires rock solid??

    Now this is what makes me think its vandals.

    I live in Scarborough, and over the past two-three years my particular street has had issues with tires being slashed multiple times in the middle of the night. This usually happened at the cars that would park ON the street directly across from my house. There is a row or a area that aprox 5 cars can park. Often since many of the people on my street have two or more cars, they use the spaces. During the summer months, we find that often many get their tires slashed.

    Now, my family happens to have three cars and there is always two cars outside on my driveway.
    The other morning (Tuesday), my brother asked me to check the tire pressure on one of his tires that he was concerned about and I noticed that he was missing 1 out of 4 of his lugnuts, His locknut. Thinking nothing of it, I told him to be carefull and to have it replaced before he drove it. (this was his front passenger side, His car was outside, my car was in the garage)

    Now today, I have lost 3/5 lugnuts, my rear passenger side.... my car was outside last night. My brothers was in the garage.

    Now the passenger side of the car that parks outside at night is well hiden in our driveway because my dad parks his big SUV beside who\'s ever\'s car is in the driveway. If you crouch down to the tire level of the car, you are hiden from any of the windows in the house, because you are blocked my the SUV and hidden fairly well from traffic on my street.

    AT first I was furious at myself because, I dont know how stupid I could have been not tightening the bolts proplerly. I maybe an amateur, but I know enough how to tighten my own wheels. Used an Impact Wrench, and know they were on as of yesterday afternoon.

    When my brother brought up that it unlikely that I was that stupid, he brought up that he has a feeling that it was vandals.... since he lost his nut too. He swears that he had his nuts on tight also as of just recently.

    ---- What are the odds of my Vibrating off 3/5 nuts in a distance of less than 10km?
    ---- An overall distance of less than 100km??
    ---- Its odd that my bro has also lost a Nut
    ---- Both vehicles on the passenger side - which is well hidden
    ---- Both vehicles were outside the night prior to discovery of the missing nuts.

    Seems fishy to me.... but im not ruling out very high co-incidence and my stupidness.
    But since I did tighten the new bolts.. the \"rubbing\" noise hasn\'t seemed to come back YET.....
    You should install surveillance camera in your parking area. Or just move to a more safer neighborhood.

  23. #23
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    Originally posted by cyberscorpi0



    You should install surveillance camera in your parking area. Or just move to a more safer neighborhood.
    I was just thinking of putting in a camera in out garage door to keep an eye out...
    Yeah, te neighborhood is changing. I has been okay in the past years.. but seems to be getting worse very year.

    As far as the noise, I only drove it approx 5km from fairview mall to home after I put on the extra lugnuts. I havent heard the sound again yet, but I cant be sure. I was to freaked out about losing lugnuts that I was just focused on getting home safely. I haven\'t driven it yet today. I may go for a small spin later this afternoon.


    LOL Bluntman... I think i\'d me more upset if I lost a \"NUT\" too ... LOL


  24. #24
    Member cyberscorpi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,826
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    Originally posted by eguiyab


    Originally posted by cyberscorpi0



    You should install surveillance camera in your parking area. Or just move to a more safer neighborhood.
    I was just thinking of putting in a camera in out garage door to keep an eye out...
    Yeah, te neighborhood is changing. I has been okay in the past years.. but seems to be getting worse very year.

    As far as the noise, I only drove it approx 5km from fairview mall to home after I put on the extra lugnuts. I havent heard the sound again yet, but I cant be sure. I was to freaked out about losing lugnuts that I was just focused on getting home safely. I haven\'t driven it yet today. I may go for a small spin later this afternoon.


    LOL Bluntman... I think i\'d me more upset if I lost a \"NUT\" too ... LOL
    Do you have current pics with the STech installed? I wanna see those badboys on our M3.

  25. #25
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Issues after STech Install\'

    Originally posted by cyberscorpi0




    Do you have current pics with the STech installed? I wanna see those badboys on our M3.
    You know its so sad. I dont have a single pic of my car since I bought it back in Jan 04. I love photography too.... I\'ve got multiple cam\'s and a new Nikon D50, yet not a single pic of my car.

    I guess I gotta start. Ill post once the weather is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •