Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Please advise: accidentally shifting to reverse @ 80km/hr

Hi there everyone,

Another very uneasy day for me.... I felt really bad that I may have damaged the transmission of my brand new baby (less than 3 weeks old).

I was in the 4th gear on the ramp to DVP this afternoon at about 80~90km/hr and wanted to shift up.... I guess I was being really dump or sloppy (or both) at that time, instead of going up right, I accidentally tried to put the stick into the reverse gear... then I heard some really loud noise (like from some metal parts)... at which point, I realized what a stupid thing I just did. Although the car was not shifted to reverse (i think the transmission prevented me from doing that)... that loud metal noise really bothered me a lot....

When I drove home and read the manual, it says it can damage the transmission if one tries to reverse when the car is not fully stopped.... i was like... f**k... i was \"trying\" to reverse it at a speed of above 80+km/hr... my baby must be really hurt....

I am not sure what to do... can someone tell me how much damage I have caused? and should I bring my baby back to the dealer immeditely for a check and replace some parts?

Thanks a lot guys and please pray for my baby....

Regards,

Mr. Quant

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'Please advise: accidentally shifting to reverse @ 80km/hr\'

I think you have a Tendency to OVER-REACT.

*My car had one person to many in it...... *My Tranny made a brief grinding noise.....

Relax will ya.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'Please advise: accidentally shifting to reverse @ 80km/hr\'

the \'R\' does not stand for \'racing\'! j/k

well, it\'s definitely not good for your synchro gears, there may be some damage, or maybe not much at all.. but if there\'s going to be a problem with it, you will notice it only when shifting into reverse... so, just wait a while and you\'ll see if any damage was done.. even if there was some damage, it is unlikely that it will spread to the rest of the tranny... unless of course a big chunk of metal came out and will be caught up in all your gears!

sorry, that may not have been helpful at all

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TM3, thanks a lot for your advice. I\'ll check the car\'s responses when its in reverse.

\"the \'R\' does not stand for \'racing\'! j/k\" - Thats a good one... which even made me laugh after what happened!

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That metal-on-metal is what\'s called \"grinding\" ... maybe just me but I\'ve done it at least five times in the past year and half of owning my car. Not going into Reverse while in a gear but releasing the clutch quicker than my hand throwing the shifter into the next gear (*cough* short shifter *cough*). Just don\'t do it again and you\'ll be fine.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks wtom.

I just left my car at the dealership (Avante Richmon Hill) and Athony Curia will check it up tomorrow.

I\'ll keep everyone posted.

Thanks for all the replies.

Regards,

Mr. Quant.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked up my car yesterday from the dealership.

They replaced the transmission fluid for me and test-drove the car afterwards. It appeared that no material damaged has been done to the transmission as the service people didn\'t spot any metal piece in the old fluid when they were drained out.

Mr. Quant