Thread: Best door speakers for Mid-Bass

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best door speakers for Mid-Bass

The first thing I want to say is that I already searched and couldn\'t find a good answer! Just covering my A$$ before I get Majoogled

I\'ve spent the weekend traveling around to all of the bigbox stores with a demo CD testing out SUB\'s only to find out its not a SUB that I need. Some of the SUBs with fix crossovers set at 80hz wouldn\'t even make a sound.

I listen to tuned down Heavy Metal eg. Damage Plan, Type O Negative, Korn etc.

This music has a lot of Mid-Bass, just above the 80-100hz range, where most SUBs would begin to take over. I have upgraded my front doors to a cheap set of 6x8 pioneers, which significantly cleaned up my sound. If I listened to more easy listening, or even dance (w/sub) it would sound great, but I\'m not getting the umph! I need.

I don\'t listen to it very loud so I\'m not sure if I\'d need an amp or not. I know the lows are what requires all of the power. I\'m just looking for clean full range sound, with extra attention on the low end.

I\'m open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks,
    G
    -GJW
    2006 Sedan GT / GFX / Lux / AT Titanium Grey
    Mods:
    400W Inverter
    XBox in trunk w/2 7" headrest screens - 35%F / 15%R Tint - TB Ground - MTX - TDX6502's in front doors - Rear Wing

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'Best door speakers for Mid-Bass\'

Pioneer seems to be the way to get for best overall. I have a set of Infinity Kappa coax in the rears and find they do what I like. I find Infinity\'s to be one of the cleaner sounding speakers out there. I think I want a set of Pioneer components up fornt for a good overall performance.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pioneer\'s are a fairly safe bet in terms of bang for buck. Also note that if you were to add an amplifier for your speakers they would sound considerably better.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stilll runnin the pioneer 3-way 6x8\'s here for 2 years strong now
    no complaints!
    Adam - Kitchener, Ontario.
    Far Far West O'l G! Proud Owner of the Whop-Toboggan Rice Bomb!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good note, If you are not changing your head unit then an amp will really help with the mid-bass you might be looking for. I\'d say install your speakers and see if they are what you want and if you would like a little more amp all 4 of them.

No point in spending the extra money on the amp, if you feel you dont need to. I personally am in the same boat as you, I barely even turn on the radio. I plan to put a set of components in front and amp them eventually.

let us know what you decide!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I\'m running the Pioneer Rev series (6 1/2) with components all around off at JL 4300 amp
    love the sound! clean and load

Thanks
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*drool* for rev series...

*puurr* for premier series

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I\'ve heard that Dynamat or equiv, will bring out more Bass from your door speaker. Has anyone tried it, if so did it work? Also how far did you go? 10\"x10\" or the full door kit.

I\'d love to replace the head unit, but I\'m turned off by losing the display. So my main order is to get better door speakers then my el cheapo pioneers. I like pioneer but what I have sucks. At the same time I\'ll dynamat if it makes much difference. Then amp if needed. I\'m trying to avoid the SUB unless I have to. I like my trunk space If I do this I think I\'ll make my own fiberglass enclosure.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the empty dash space above the dash vents? I\'ve seen a few people put an amp in there.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey AXCL,

If your looking to get better midbass I would recommend going with a set of 6.5in Components in the fronts and a 2way Coaxial in the back. By using a set of components, you will be able to separate the highs and midbass better and also just by the sheer location difference can help define the sounds a bit more.

Another option that you have is to just upgrade the Headunit, but I understand the loss of display issue. An aftermarket headunit however, depending on the unit should be able to give you fine controls as to the LPF, HPF and tune your speakers, regardless of what they are to give you a better sound.

Also I noticed that you were saying that the frequency\'s that your looking for are in the 80-100 zone. I know alot of places when you listen to their subs will usually have the Amps LPF set at around 80 or lower. Naturally you would have to ensure that the LPF on the amp was set at about 120K otherwise you definetly would not hear any of the tones your looking for.

I initially swapped out the stock headunit for a Pioneer DEH-P80MP. Even with stock speakers, the sound was amazing after tuning and adjusting. Step 2 for me was a pair of 10in subs, then last was a new set of JL components in the fronts and coax in the doors.

Now of course this is a full aftermarket system now, however the headunit is what has really allowed me the freedom and flexablity to make my system sound the way it does. In fact, when I run without my subs.. I CAN tune the system to actually make it still sound like the subs are still there by adjusting HPF AND LPF\'s. I just choose to have the subs there to help with sound separation and the ability to really shake the CRAP outta the car if i want.

Anyway I hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Emmanuel

BTW... the 10x10 dynamat sheets... dont help that much in our cars to increase bass, or at least in my experience. You wont need it with good tuning and speakers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the other reasons I don\'t want to upgrade my Headunit is that I am planning on adding a Carputer, then I would rarely use the headunit. Although the advanced tuning option is definetly a plus, I think some carputer software has that option as well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swapping out the factory head unit will result in a much cleaner sound with more tuning ability, but that doesn\'t mean you can\'t have a good sounding system utilizing the factory deck. If you choose your components wisely I think you would have a system that sounds great. Also, there are other components on the market like the JL Audio CleanSweep that will allow the use of the factory head unit with the sound quality of an aftermarket one (sometimes even better) and also includes an aux-in for items like MP3 players and whatnot. The CleanSweep can be had for a price similar to that of a mid-level aftermarket deck!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by AXCL

One of the other reasons I don\'t want to upgrade my Headunit is that I am planning on adding a Carputer, then I would rarely use the headunit. Although the advanced tuning option is definetly a plus, I think some carputer software has that option as well.
    :thup Gottcha. Yeah sounds like a good setup. Then I would recommend as theprofessor said, A JL clean sweep plus carputer tuning should do the job. Aside from that, its just a waiting game until all the pieces fall into place.

Good luck on the build and progress...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all

I wouldn\'t mind upgrading my factory speakers. I have no intention of changing the HU or adding a sub or amp. I just want to replace the existing speakers. Any suggestions? I listen to mostly Hip Hop, so some more bass would be nice.
    2006 Mazda 3 Sport GT●Black Mica●Manual●Sunroof

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I\'m starting to think that the eq curve that is in our factory head unit is designed to cut down the mid-bass. I know the factory door speakers would peak at even low volumes when I put the bass to +6 and listen to Damageplan ;-) even with this, I think the Bass at +6 isn\'t as low as it should be. Due to this, I think mazda may have set the head unit to eq out the lows so it didn\'t blow up the newer crappy factory speakers. I have an 06, you guys with the older cars had much better speakers. The 06\' magnet is the size of a quarter and the basket is made of plastic. I\'ve never seen plastic speakers before and I\'ve seen 1000\'s.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by AXCL

I\'m starting to think that the eq curve that is in our factory head unit is designed to cut down the mid-bass. I know the factory door speakers would peak at even low volumes when I put the bass to +6 and listen to Damageplan ;-) even with this, I think the Bass at +6 isn\'t as low as it should be. Due to this, I think mazda may have set the head unit to eq out the lows so it didn\'t blow up the newer crappy factory speakers. I have an 06, you guys with the older cars had much better speakers. The 06\' magnet is the size of a quarter and the basket is made of plastic. I\'ve never seen plastic speakers before and I\'ve seen 1000\'s.
    While I will agree that the quality of the factory head unit is not great, I doubt it\'s filtering out any low frequencies. I am running a full aftermarket system off the factory deck and trust me, it sounds fine.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, you are correct on the speakers in the 2006 being of poor quality, here is a pic of my 2006 vs. my wife\'s 2005 side by side. Truthfully however I could not hear a difference between the two!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by TheProfessor

While I will agree that the quality of the factory head unit is not great, I doubt it\'s filtering out any low frequencies. I am running a full aftermarket system off the factory deck and trust me, it sounds fine.
    Thanks Prof - That makes me feel a bit more comfortable that I can get to where I want.:punk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Replying to Topic \'Best door speakers for Mid-Bass\'

Quote Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
    BTW, you are correct on the speakers in the 2006 being of poor quality, here is a pic of my 2006 vs. my wife\'s 2005 side by side. Truthfully however I could not hear a difference between the two!
    I know this is old, but what in the world is that??? I have never in my life seen speakers like that....
    2005 Mazda 3 Sedan - Indigo Blue
    2010 MazdaSpeed 3 - Red

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Re: Best door speakers for Mid-Bass

Since this was brought back!

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up getting a good pair of MTX 6.5's w/adapters. They sound awsome compared to the crappy factory, and my cheap Pioneers. I accually get bass now. I'm not dissn' pioneer, I just had the cheapest 6x8's they make.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Best door speakers for Mid-Bass

this a good read for me...

i never was really into the car audio scene...but ever since lockdown posted some of those specials going on....its peaked my interest...

I like music and always drive with music on...sometimes loud (up to 20 on the stock system)/sometimes low....but never so loud to shake houses....can't call myself an audio enthusiast.

I just plan on changing the speakers as i hear that is the one single most improving component.

i do not intend to add a sub/amp/or changing the deck, just want to add a little bit more quality and a bit more bass.

suggestions? don't need high end components that i have to give up my first born....this car ain't going to any competitions....just good quality/value items....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just replaced my front doors with MTX TDX6502's. They sounded great right off the bat, but I noticed a lot more bass after breaking them in. I get rattles in the car now if I turn it too loud. I couldn't do this with the factories. The sound is also just much cleaner. The originals sound very muddy in comparison.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this might be weird and i don't know where you live either...anychance i can listen to the sound system in your car?

i had the opportunity awhile ago to go hit up some stores to sample the speakers...

in all applications, i asked them to turn off all other speakers so i can hear each one independantly.

i tried out the following

infinity reference components
    infinity kappa components
    mtx component
    MB Quart Discuss components
    JBL Power Components
    JBL Grand Touring Components

again, mind you, i'm very new to this, and i can't tell which one is better ....etc.

but from what i can tell, this is how i would personally rate them (and i guess that's what matters)

MB Quart Discus
    Infinity Kappa
    JBL Power
    Infinity Reference
    JBL GT
    MTX

i'm sure all these speakers still sound loads better than the stockers, but i found the infinity kappa's very very bright/borderline harsh, but those highs are very high and distinct...almost too much.

the MTX were just too muffled/bland/blended....i couldn't hear the separate distinctive sounds.

and all the others were in the middle ground. they all sounded very similar/close, MTX/Kappa being the most obvious.

the JBLs were relatively smooth and blended well...

I think i prefered the MB Quart because it was a blend between the Infinity Kappas/MTX....the MTX had more bass but too blended, where as the Kappas were too separated. THe MB Quarts i sampled were the lowest line also. And i definately would be getting either the REference or possibly the Premium...

but now that you've actually installed a set of the MTXs that i also bought, perhaps i should give it another chance? i somehow just think listening off a sound board isn't an acurate replication of how it will sound in a car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyr6 View Post
    this might be weird and i don't know where you live either...anychance i can listen to the sound system in your car?

i had the opportunity awhile ago to go hit up some stores to sample the speakers...

in all applications, i asked them to turn off all other speakers so i can hear each one independantly.

i tried out the following

infinity reference components
    infinity kappa components
    mtx component
    MB Quart Discuss components
    JBL Power Components
    JBL Grand Touring Components

again, mind you, i'm very new to this, and i can't tell which one is better ....etc.

but from what i can tell, this is how i would personally rate them (and i guess that's what matters)

MB Quart Discus
    Infinity Kappa
    JBL Power
    Infinity Reference
    JBL GT
    MTX

i'm sure all these speakers still sound loads better than the stockers, but i found the infinity kappa's very very bright/borderline harsh, but those highs are very high and distinct...almost too much.

the MTX were just too muffled/bland/blended....i couldn't hear the separate distinctive sounds.

and all the others were in the middle ground. they all sounded very similar/close, MTX/Kappa being the most obvious.

the JBLs were relatively smooth and blended well...

I think i prefered the MB Quart because it was a blend between the Infinity Kappas/MTX....the MTX had more bass but too blended, where as the Kappas were too separated. THe MB Quarts i sampled were the lowest line also. And i definately would be getting either the REference or possibly the Premium...

but now that you've actually installed a set of the MTXs that i also bought, perhaps i should give it another chance? i somehow just think listening off a sound board isn't an acurate replication of how it will sound in a car.
    Listening to speakers off the board vs in your car will definitely be different, but you can still hear the sonic differences between them.You should go back armed with your own disc that you are very familiar with and listen again just to be sure.When I was shopping around I too found the MB Quarts to be the most natural sounding of the bunch you listed above, but pretty pricey.
    I'm just wondering if you've heard the Cerwin Vega HED speakers? If not, try them out I hear thier pretty good and not too expensive.

_3