Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on aftermarket seats.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figure I'll put this out here for everyone to chew on.

First off, here's my thoughts on racing harnesses, if anyone is interested.

Now... consider what yours seats do for you in your car. The first and most obvious is that they give you somewhere (hopefully) comfortable to be while driving. A good set of seats will also help position you properly for driving and hold you there while turning. Finally, we all want our seats to look good.

In many cases, the stock seats don't fit the bill for us. They don't deliver everything we want in a seat so we like to change them to something better or cooler.

Consider also though, that your seats are designed to protect you in a crash. Manufacturers spend all sorts of money to ensure that they meet crash standards. This means they're not going to fold in half when you hit something, snapping your back. The headrest is going to have adequate support and padding to protect your neck in a crash. The seat isn't going to come dislodged from the floor in an impact and destroy your or your passengers hips.

There are all sorts of things taken into consideration that you may not have thought of, but they are important and can save your life.

Now consider what goes into making an aftermarket seat. There's generally two realms in the aftermarket seat market. There are those made by reputable manufacturers such as Sparco or Recaro that meet stringent standards and are certified under various safety standards.

Then there are the rest. The rest are what I'm cautioning you against buying. Whether it's a cheap no-name seat, a cheap ricer brand seat like APC, or a counterfeit brand name seat, if the seat is not certified then you have no way of knowing how it will behave in a crash. Considering that most of these (those who bother) come with disclaimers saying they're for off-road use only should give you a hint as to how confident they are that their seats are properly engineered.

Most companies who want to sell you some blingin' seats for your ride don't have the money to conduct crash tests. It's not that they want to make cheap garbage that's going to kill you. It's simply that they don't have the resources to produce something that they know will keep you safe. Often times you'll find them made from fibreglass shells with upholstered padding attached to them. Consider what happens to fibreglass in a crash and ask yourself whether you think they've designed it to break up in a safe manner or whether it's going to send splinters and fragments into your back and neck?

The bottom line is that this isn't a modification to be taken lightly. It's about the safety equivilant of removing your airbag because you want a fancy aftermarket steering wheel. In retrospect, when you've crushed your sternum into the steering column, that bling won't seem so important. Or when your girlfriend is dead because of the blingin' seat you installed.

Finally, even if you're getting a high-end certified seat, pay close attention to the mounting brackets. Generally speaking, you should be able to put something in that attaches to the stock bolts but if you can't, at least make sure it's properly braced or welded. This is what customizing is all about. If you're not sure what you're doing, you'll need someone who is.

Safety should be the first priority when doing mods. If you're making your car less safe by doing something, then I don't think it should be done. Mods should improve your ride, not put you in danger.

[/rant]

Ok, as an example of what to look for, here's one of Sparco's seats marketed for street cars.

Sparco Milano 2

It's one of their more reasonably priced models, starting at under a grand, and has these notes in the description:

TUV Homologated
    Tested and Approved to
    ECE 17 (Europe) and
    FMVSS 208 (USA)
    I found some mention of a certification on Recaro's site but it was tough to navigate and I couldn't find any further details. The fact that they make OEM seats for all sorts of cars though should give you an indication that they're building quality products.

I found a note in another forum indicating that Corbeau had their certification rescinded at some point, and no mention of any on their site. If it gets taken away, one has to assume there's a reason for this.

Note the FIA and MIA logos on Cobra's site:

http://www.cobraseats.com/

Interesting... I see that APC has changed their ghetto logo. I couldn't find any info on their site about their seats other than pictures and prices.

This is a synopsis of FMVSS 208:

Standard No. 208 - Occupant Crash Protection This standard originally specified the type of occupant restraints (i.e., seat belts) required. It was amended to specify performance requirements for anthropomorphic test dummies seated in the front outboard seats of passenger cars and of certain multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses, including the active and passive restraint systems identified below. The purpose of the standard is to reduce the number of fatalities and the number and severity of injuries to occupants involved in frontal crashes.
    Last edited by 3GFX; 02-06-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My thoughts on aftermarket seats.

As a footnote... remember that quality certified seats are expensive. If you find some that aren't... there's probably a reason for that and you're most likely better off without them.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this have been a public service announcement..
    Adam - Kitchener, Ontario.
    Far Far West O'l G! Proud Owner of the Whop-Toboggan Rice Bomb!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point there WW.

As with all parts, you tend to get what you pay for. In cars, there are so many integral parts for safety that buyers should be aware of both cheap parts and counterfeits.

Did I mention that we carry Sparco?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting read and information!

thanks for looking our for everyone here!
    - Broli

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sticky this for future people? Buyer beware?
    +% DIRT333 DOZEN Crew (DDC) %+-
    2006 Mazda 3 GS Power package Sand Mica

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this deserves a sticky, its an excellent article for future buyers. Just to ensure stickiness, WW could you maybe add a link or two to standards of safety or to manufacturer's website's/warnings?

Thanks chief, stickied.
    - - - - - - | NOW | 08' VW Jetta 2.0T | - - - - - - - | BEFORE | 04' Mazda 3 GT/GFX | - - - - - -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anymore info and we'd practically be able to build a seat, WW awesome manl. Kudos!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heh. I just saw your response... and was SURE I'd just posted a bunch more info... then noticed it added to my original post at the top.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I merged so that all the info was in one spot

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WW Very nice and thank you for putting this out there. When I first got my car, I saw a cool looking set of seats for my 3. I asked the price and was told 500 for the set.... I thought to myself, that this was a great deal and then wondered why....... I figured exactly what you mention about safety and quality. I figure that most/ if not all of us only do "quality" mods to our cars... why would we put a K-mart brand seat in our car? Would you buy your exhaust from Zellers? .... Safety is of the utmost concern when I do mods to my car and always will be. Well written WW!
    2013-AudiTTS-Ibis White-Stage 2+ APR

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is actually a big part of the problem. I actually believe that most people modifying their cars do NOT care about quality and just want the cheapest thing they can get their hands on that they think will impress their friends and get them laid.

That may not be true for the crowd here, but I believe it is for the modifying scene in general. There's a million 17 yr olds out there that don't have an extra dime to spend on their cars but they all want to look straight out of TFATF.

It's important that they be warned about the safety issues and what not. Of course, the stupid ones won't care... but all we can do is inform and hope for the best.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
    This is actually a big part of the problem. I actually believe that most people modifying their cars do NOT care about quality and just want the cheapest thing they can get their hands on that they think will impress their friends and get them laid.

That may not be true for the crowd here, but I believe it is for the modifying scene in general. There's a million 17 yr olds out there that don't have an extra dime to spend on their cars but they all want to look straight out of TFATF.

It's important that they be warned about the safety issues and what not. Of course, the stupid ones won't care... but all we can do is inform and hope for the best.
    Yes I agree... With most ie Civics... I would buy that. But being around the majority of the membership here on TM3... Id say that I have rarely seen anything done cheap.... from HID's to Wheels.... I personally havent seen anything of poor quality.... I might not like all of the mods... but the general feel I get from the membership here is good quality and good looks. Keep it up guys and gals.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quality is obviously important and should be the key factor in any purchase.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JPAV8S4U View Post
    Yes I agree... With most ie Civics... I would buy that. But being around the majority of the membership here on TM3... Id say that I have rarely seen anything done cheap....
    RIght, and that seems to be the general culture here, which is good.

I get the impression that if someone came in here doing ghetto crap to their car, the members would either drive them away with their trash-talk or the person would wise up and get a clue.

This is definitely a good thing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the impression that if someone came in here doing ghetto crap to their car, the members would either drive them away with their trash-talk or the person would wise up and get a clue.
    hrmm.. you're still here

then again you have a sunflower and it's nice not having to make fun of our own kind

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by majic View Post
    hrmm.. you're still here

then again you have a sunflower and it's nice not having to make fun of our own kind
    I challenge you to find anything on my car that's not of the highest quality.

You might not like some of the things done... but it's all top notch.

And hey... I'm likely the fastest non-MSP here so PHBBTTT!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't doubt your quality WW. Many of us would like to be able to have a five course meal on our rear spoiler :p

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not only can I serve it, but I can probably cook it on the blower as well.

Of course, it doesn't run near as hot since I did the exhaust.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I challenge you to find anything on my car that's not of the highest quality.
    How about the nut behind the wheel?
    2006 Mazda 3 Sport GT●Black Mica●Manual●Sunroof

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Touche my friend, touche. To be honest I do like a tastefully done Cavi or Sunfire. Your's well done. I would only change the stacked spolers. I like the lip spoiler (I believe from RKsport).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're not stacked, dammit. They're complimentary.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incidentally, the spoiler is genuine RKSport as well, and designed to coexist with the stock one rather than replacing it.

Originally they designed it to replace the stock one and it had an LED brake light built in. They made very few of those though before sticking with the one I have, with no brake light, to coexist with the stock one.

This pic best shows this. The RK wing follows the exact curvature of the stock spoiler.

But we're way off topic now...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back on topic... I've copied the original thread over to my site so if you ever come across someone asking about seats, feel free to link them to the info either here or there.

http://www.wildweasel.ca/j-body/HowTo/beginnertips.asp

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

know any manufactures for brackets for the 3!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast