Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCAM ALERT *** UMNITZA *** HELP please if you can

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SCAM ALERT *** UMNITZA *** HELP please if you can

Here’s my story, if you want to read the abridged version, just scroll to the bottom of this post. So in Nov of 2004 I bought my car. The first mod I wanted to do was HIDs. I researched and researched and I guess I didn’t research enough. But at the time I was not willing to drop ~600 or so for a Phillips kit which now come to think of it I probably should have done. At that time (March 2005) the HID market was still slow with a few shady sellers here and there and only 1-3yr warranties. Here comes Xtec. I followed M3F and for some reason I didn’t trust M3-GT (Olivier). I had NO PREVIOUS dealings with him but just how he approached things on the forums. I was on the fence about Umnitza (Matt) and his sales tactics but other forums (bimmer forums) seemed to have almost NOTHING but praise for him (maybe it was the better market where people would actually spend $1K on a CF intake or some ridiculousness). Anyway, a good friend of mine recommended Umnitza to me and I decided to get my HID kit from him. In no way I blame my friend I guess call it poor judgment on my part, it was like choosing the lesser of two evils when it came down to Olivier and Matt b/c there was SO MUCH bickering going on M3F it was quite confusing for the customer (me) especially that they were both touting the lifetime warranty on the product (a KEY selling point for me at the time)

The shadiness started with the destination shipping address. My dad was coming over for Easter so I wanted matt to send the kit to my dad in the USA. I was getting emails like “oooh the shipping guy messed it up, no worries I’ll take care of it ” It was getting annoying but what could I do? I forked the $ over already .. so 2 days before my dad was to leave USA the kit hadn’t arrived yet! Matt said he sent it overnight or next day or whatever, I have all the emails just too lazy to dig them up now. Well what do you know? It showed up at MY HOUSE in Canada. No duties thankfully but nonetheless a big WTF?

The kit wasn’t shrink wrapped but I didn’t make much of it b/c I didn’t see other kits. Until there was a thread how the base of the bulb wasn’t fitting right and how it was metal. Ummmm, mine was plastic. This is when I really started to get worried. I got in touch with Jim from Apexcone (NA distributor of xtec kits) and asked his advice. Supposedly (and I say that b/c at the time I had no clue who to believe) Jim supplied Olivier and Matt with the Xtec kits but the relationship with Matt soured and he was no longer getting the supply from Jim.

Jim told me that the bulbs were NOT Xtec bulbs and that I should get my $ back from Matt and get a proper Xtec kit. When I confronted Matt all he said was “oh my guy must have messed up and he shipped you the Xtec ballasts and Prolumen bulbs” to which Jim replied (to me) that those bulbs weren’t even Prolumens but some cheap Chinese knockoffs. I was torn. Having shelled out a hefty sum on an Xtec kit that wasn’t I wanted the bulbs replaced to which Matt replied that I’d have to send the stuff back and he’d send me replacements. Since I already had installed the kit and I really liked the colour (oh another thing, I requested 5000K and in the end I THINK I got 6000K but b/c I liked the output – white with a purple tinge – I kept it) I chalked it up and left it alone.

Through the various email conversations, I was obviously upset and started questioning if I’d ever get the kit warrantied *knock on wood* that something should happen. Jim assured me that he would honour the warranty on the Xtec ballasts but I was SOL on the bulbs.

Fast forward to today.. or a few months back. One of my ballasts failed. When I started diagnosing, the other one died. Time to RMA this shit. I emailed Matt, his response “we don’t deal and haven’t dealt with Xtec for over 2.5 years” BULLSHIT it was about 1.5yrs since I bought them when I got in touch with him early December. He told me to deal with the manufacturer directly. So I figured, hey Jim can help me out right? Yes and no, I sent the ballasts to apexcone (since Xtec is gone now, they make redesigned Xtec ballasts under the apexcone brand – apparently better or whatever). They were nice enough to ‘take care of me’ after Matt rejected me. Oh I forgot the kicker, Matt said he’d sell me some ballasts at his cost for $80.. AHAHAHAHAH.. that is EXACTLY what apexcone told me he would try on me!!!

Anyway.. a few weeks later the ballasts arrive at apexcone and GUESS WHAT, the SERIAL NUMBERS do not match anything Jim sold to Matt, EVER. SO what does this mean?

Apexcone has my ballasts and they want $20 to send them back to me
    The ballasts don’t match anything Jim sold to Matt
    Matt either sold me COMPLETE fakes or he sold me product he got from someone else (distributor outside of NA) – I think the former

So, now my plea to you guys.. how can I fight this mofo in the USA? Do I have any rights when it comes to doing business with a US based business? Umnitza is not listed in the BBB but has had 1 complaint against him http://www.goldengatebbb.org/commonr...html?bid=75038 . If anyone can help, please let me know.

Whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM UMNITZA!!!

Thanks for listening and I am looking to see what you guys have to say.

Ride
    Subaru BRZ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: SCAM ALERT *** UMNITZA *** HELP please if you can

Hmmm....I just got a pair of 6000k from Umnitza.

Banned
    Ride
    Mazdaspeed6
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is getting shady

Sponsor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought you got your kit from devin
    2010 Subaru STI

Mods:
    Not enough room to list

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I've heard they are a good supplier for BMW parts. I dunno chief, he obviously gipped you, if you have the orginal receipts and all you should be able to do something.
    - - - - - - | NOW | 08' VW Jetta 2.0T | - - - - - - - | BEFORE | 04' Mazda 3 GT/GFX | - - - - - -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i say pony up and get a phillips kit...
    Adam - Kitchener, Ontario.
    Far Far West O'l G! Proud Owner of the Whop-Toboggan Rice Bomb!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bubba1983 View Post
    +1

I'm with this guy...although I do feel bad for you man. But that $600 I spent on a Philips kit 2.5 years ago, sure is paying off now with no issues or hassle.
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT|Winning Blue| OG 2.3L @ 450,000 km & counting

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ugh don't talk about Phillips kits man....PM for additional details.
    +% DIRT333 DOZEN Crew (DDC) %+-
    2006 Mazda 3 GS Power package Sand Mica

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or just clicky

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPSPEED View Post
    Hmmm....I just got a pair of 6000k from Umnitza.
    directly? I thought you went through devin...

Quote Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
    if you have the orginal receipts and all you should be able to do something.
    like what? i paid via paypal so the trail is there.. i also have the emails..

Quote Originally Posted by bubba1983 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaptor View Post
    +1

I'm with this guy...although I do feel bad for you man. But that $600 I spent on a Philips kit 2.5 years ago, sure is paying off now with no issues or hassle.

i see where you guys are coming from but that is NOT a solution to my problem.. i understand the pros of a phillips kit but in my case i don't care at this point.. all i want is for Matt to honour his lifetime warranty as set out at the time for purchase... it is NOT my fault his relationship with xtec (whoever that might be) was dissolved.. he STILL should be able to work SOMETHING out. (paying $80 for ballasts isn't "working something out" tho in my books)
    Last edited by majic; 02-13-2007 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, your reciepts and emails should guarentee you written proof of the product. Therefore is is a legal agreement of the product you were supposed to recieve. You should be able to sue for the money you paid or a 'real' replacement.

Any lawyers or law students here? All I know is that a written agreement is legally binding in business.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my SRI from Umnitza, shipping had some lengthy delay, which at that time, Umnitza said out of stock, OK fine. after my complaint @M3F I got it within a week, then I never order from them not because the customer service but the price and product they sell not for me.

then it got banned and removed from M3F sponsor's list though I don't know why.
    From Mazda 3 to Honda Fit to none!!!!

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfo View Post
    I got my SRI from Umnitza, shipping had some lengthy delay, which at that time, Umnitza said out of stock, OK fine. after my complaint @M3F I got it within a week, then I never order from them not because the customer service but the price and product they sell not for me.

then it got banned and removed from M3F sponsor's list though I don't know why.
    from what i remember, he was banned from M3F for posting that he had Xtec HID kits for sale when they were in fact fakes...and it looks like majic was a victim.

majic, post this on the bmw forums; there have to be guys in california that have dealt with matt in person.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which ones?

i know there's e46 fanatics.. i should talk to WUD.. prof.. jobes? link me boys!

edit: anyone think silverman can help?
    Last edited by majic; 02-13-2007 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by majic View Post
    which ones?

He seems to have a good fighting stance, lol.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by majic View Post
    which ones?

i know there's e46 fanatics.. i should talk to WUD.. prof.. jobes? link me boys!

Hope you get this sorted out. Sorry to hear.

This may help...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...threadid=67959

Here is a guy's email address that has met him listed in this link.

http://www.bmw-m.net/Digest/Archive_...digest3129.htm

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is ass
    Im sorry to hear that

I've been very happy with Devin's service and my Prolumens BUT... back to the topic

If you file a complaint with BBB to my understanding they will contact the company and attempt to have a reply for you
    How about Square Trade?
    How about contacting his local authorities?

2004 Mazda3 GT { BLACK MICA / 5MT / GFX pkg / BLACK, RED & GOLD BEEBS }

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy Shit...DAMN MAJ....sorry to hear that hapened to you. i bought my philips kit from oliver (M3-GT) when it first came out. PAid almost twice what the xtec's or prolumens or the other Hids cost but ive not had a problem yet..I guess you get what you pay for...I dont mean to sound like a dick, cause id be pissed if that happened to me, but to a extent all the 200-300cad kits are all the same. no matter who sells them or from where..their all cheap. Just look whats going on now at M3F ...people with their xtecs and prolumen are having problems after problems, where as the people who took it in the ass at the beginning for the Philips Kit in terms of money, are now reaping the rewards..

i know theres gonna be people who tell me to shut the ^%$# up, but thats just my opinion.....people like Umnitza and all these independent people on car forums selling stuff are in very much alike....their all nice to you when your shopping, then you send them money and they sent you some korean knock off shit that they paid 50 bucks for on ebay.....

To those considering HId's...PLEASE BUY FROM A LEGITIMATE SOURCE....and i dont mean what people on forums said about this guys customer service and blah blah blah...do some research on the store or site...and if you cant...get your lights from xenondepot....you'll pay more, but you;ll be getting the real thing, not miss matched products.

MAJIC....i feel for you man...you could try and fight it, but this clown probably has excuses for everything and everyone.....for 300 bucks....swallow your pride and dont stress over some *******. by posting this on e46fanatics, clubsi, club rsx, vwvortex, mazdaforums, you'll be doing this guy a lot more damage by taking business away from him. post this in as many forums as you can....Good luck buddy...
    2011 Mazdaspeed 3
    Black Mica
    SURE SRI
    JBR RSB

Banned
    Ride
    Mazdaspeed6
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is what i tell you ppl evry day all the friking cheap HID kits are the same they all burn the same unless you get Phillips so why spend $300 for Prolumens when you can get cheap kits for $220 they all work same way and made in the same bilding

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i had almost the same experience with umnitza......got the cf intake from him with no problems. so i forked out the cash for the prolumens. he even called me to finalize the deal for the HID's...but guess what those did not arrive. gave me a tracking number for somebody else's package that has been received already. i called my CC company and they resolved it. i just had to send them my back and forth emails with umnitza proving that the seller was shady. ended up getting the same kit from devin....that was painless.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm, a few guys here had problems too.. sounds like nothing gets resolved with Matt..

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/pro...off-47293.html
    Last edited by ds2chan; 02-19-2007 at 11:54 AM.
    Dave

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the links and suggestions everyone.. if anyone can find other links that implicate shady business please post them.. i've been a little busy with other shit for now but i have a few people working on stuff for me so i will definitely keep you posted..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly doubt there is anything you can do maj. Sorry man, but this kind of internet scamming happens everyday. I bought my first HID kit off of Ebay, it was some Korean kit and when it arrived, one bulb didn't work. Then I said **** it and bought a Philips kit.

It really looks like you'll have to bite the bullet on this one unless you want to drive over and take it straight up to Matt.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shitty,

that is pretty shady stuff

sorry u got ripped majic

as other have said, it seems there is little u can do, except post negative reviews of him everywhere he is.

min - he will get a bad rep
    max - he will contact u to resolve aimicably
    - Broli

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast