Thread: Filling a Claim against the Province/City for Damage

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Filling a Claim against the Province/City for Damage

As promised here is the address where you can file a claim if you have had damage done to your car by a PROVINCIAL highway/road. Please note that you must write a letter explaining the following:

1. Which road/highway it occurred on.
    2. The date of the incident.
    3. An explanation of the nature of the accident.
    4. Any supporting documents as evidence. ie photos, insurance claim report that you believe to be relevant.

You may fax a copy of the claim to the Ministry but all faxes must be accompanied by the original information mailed to them directly. Send the information to:

Management Board Secretariat
    Risk Management & Insurance
    700 University Ave. 6th Floor
    Toronto, Ontario.
    M7A 2A4

Fax: 416-314-3444

Please remember that this is damage over an above what is considered normal damage while driving on a highway. So if you're thinking of filing a claim because of a stone chip you really need to get a life.

2006 Copper Red Mazda3 GT Sport

Banned
    Ride
    Mazdaspeed6
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Filling a Claim against the Province for Damage

i filed last year for damage to my suspension and never got nothing from them even had a lawyer call them .
    good luck with the claims its almost a waste of time hardly any one gets there car fixed by them

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Clem was successful with filling out a claim but I think it was on a city road maybe he can chime in

On a side note; i know for a fact that my alignment is off from the massive construction they are doing for that new highway in Hamilton/Stoney Creek. 2" deep gaps in filling in asphalt and going 120km/h = no good. Would that qualify Cardi?

2004 Mazda3 GT { BLACK MICA / 5MT / GFX pkg / BLACK, RED & GOLD BEEBS }

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MAZDA Kitten View Post
    I think Clem was successful with filling out a claim but I think it was on a city road maybe he can chime in

On a side note; i know for a fact that my alignment is off from the massive construction they are doing for that new highway in Hamilton/Stoney Creek. 2" deep gaps in filling in asphalt and going 120km/h = no good. Would that qualify Cardi?
    Very much doubt it. You would have hundreds of claims due to construction zones and uneven pavement.

I think it designed for blatent negligence IE: a worker leaves debris or equipment on the road and it causes damage to your vehicle.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great info cardi...
    gets my vote for a sticky
    Andrew - wa wa wee wa

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The municipality act and the provincial act protect the cities and the provinces from paying 99.9999999% of potential claims.

The City of Hamilton contracts almost all road work out to a third party contractor ie. W.M. Groves (who by the way may provide the worst patch up road jobs in the world. You don't understand how badly they blow at patching the road). You have a better chance of taking the third party to small claims court to recoup some of your monies for damage done to the road.

Side note, anybody in Hamilton driving up Garth towards Rymal between Fennell and Mohawk, there is a big dip in the road that is not marked and kind of pops out at you in the middle of the night. Its not marked and its frickin vicious to your car. I don't know dug up the road and then filled it like this but they should be shot for gross incompetence.
    2007 Mazda3 GT - 2.3L, 5 Spd
    Performance: Fujita F5 | BuddyClub | TWM SWS | Tein S-Tech
    Looks: 35W 4700k Katsuro HID (Soon to be 55W 5000k Apexcone) | Sharkfin | Pioneer AVIC-Z1
    Vital Fluids: Mobil1 5W20 and Redline MT90
    Rubbers: 205/50/17 Hankook Ventus Evo K110

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had hit a pothole on the 401 to 409 overpass 2 years back. I got a flat tire and chipped my rim.
    I submitted my claim to the province and a short 10 months later rec'd a settlement.
    They paid for a new tire, but depreciated the tire base on how long I had it on the vehicle. Secondly they gave me nominal sum for the chip in the rim.
    In the end, I got a small amount of money, I believe it was like $300. Takes a bit of time.
    I find the key is you need to remind them once a month of your ongoing claim or else they may shelve it.
    The subcontract the claim to an adjusting firm (Crawford and Associates) who do the investigation.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Re: Filling a Claim against the Province for Damage

I too have filled a claim about 9 mths ago for a flat tire and rim damage.
    Up untill now, I still haven't gotten anything from them. I drove west along
    hwy7 and just before bathurst, in the left lane there are numerous potholes.
    At the time I was doing about 100km/h, and I didn't see it untill the last second. Tried to avoided it but too late. Only recently the city has fixed it.
    ( about a week ago ).

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn you photobucket.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Filling a Claim against the Province/City for Damage

yea i emailed them a couple days ago for broken suspension and i was told in a few weeks an insurance company will get in touch with me... so hopefully things work out

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it your MS3 with the broken suspension? Where did this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SP33D 3 View Post
    yea i emailed them a couple days ago for broken suspension and i was told in a few weeks an insurance company will get in touch with me... so hopefully things work out
    2007 mazdaspeed 3 -True Red.. Gone but not forgotten. Current 2013 Pearl white speed 3 w/tech. pkg.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 740 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

it wont work. ive tried. i had my frame bent because of a pothole on eramosa/milton townline and they ddidnt do shit. so now i gotta for out 1800 just for damages.
    They say I'm an addict but I don't have a problem with alcohol or drugs. I'm an addict because I can't live without bass. Car audio is my addiction. And it will never change.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brutal luck

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Hamilton?
    PITL & HADA Car #102

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We blew two tires on Speers in Oakville, just before Oakville Mazda. Filed a claim but got nothing due to the fact that the city inspects the roads within once a week and they said that it was fine the week before and they were within there rights not to do anything. Part of the Road act. Kissed $611 bye bye.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
    We blew two tires on Speers in Oakville, just before Oakville Mazda. Filed a claim but got nothing due to the fact that the city inspects the roads within once a week and they said that it was fine the week before and they were within there rights not to do anything. Part of the Road act. Kissed $611 bye bye.
    That stretch of road is in real bad shape..they gotta re-pave the whole strip mang!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck to anyone filing claims for road damage. A friend of mine works for the city and she said that they almost never pay out. One thing she did say was not to wait. Get photographs of the pothole (or whatever caused the damage) day of and report it right away.
    | 2020 Soul Red Crystal Metallic Mazda 3 Sport GT Premium| 6 Spd Manual | Bone Stock - For now...|

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I damaged my front end in York Region
    And I went back the next day to take pictures
    Funny enough they were fixing the potholes so I took
    Pictures of the guys filling the holes minus their faces
    I did not take no for an answer and did get a percentage
    Of my damges which totalled over 500 dollars
    Be persistant and don't take no for answer and
    Document everything

Wayne
    2010 GT
    Graphite Mica
    2011 CX 7
    Black

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Cardinal, very important info.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck ... Can't be to optimistic

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can do this?????
    i had no idea lmao, the road bumbs on steeles really make your suspention work

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the TM3 forums but I can say from my past experience, you have to really detail what happened and throw words like how this is a safety risk and the period the pot holes have been left in the shape they are in.

I had a claim put in 2008 for my Mazda 6 Sport where they covered my windshield crack and alignment. I got ~$900 because of the destroyed highway. It was the stretch on Hwy 401 from Milton to James snow parkway where it didn't matter which lane you drove in, it was just a pot hole one after another left right and center. It was like that for 3 months and a truck hand flung a small chunk of asphalt at my car after driving in a pot hole. Luckily enough, the only damage was the cracked windshield. I drove that stretch for 4 months straight everyday and noticed my alignment was off as well slightly so I put the claim for that as well.

It took almost 6-8 months but they accepted the claim and sent me a cheque. It took a lot of follow up however.

Items I included:

i) letter stating as much details as possible (i.e. I had the truck's make/model/yr almost down flat, but didn't get the license plate, also included the highway stretch in detail, date and time the incident happened, and expressed how cars were wildly maneuvering this stretch to avoid pot holes which could cause a serious accident and is putting other lives at risk for not fixing it sooner)

ii) 2 separate quotes for both the alignment and the cracked windshield (suggest getting it from your local dealerships as they charge/quote the most ) **they will pay you the lowest amount of the 2 invoices**

iii) Photo's photo's photo's - take pictures of the damage but also of the pot hole and/or what ever caused the damage to your vehicle.

Eventually they will also ask you to provide insurance and vehicle information but that comes later.

Keep pushing for updates, it's sometimes annoying but works out when you clearly show them how it's a huge safety issue.

I hope this helps.

Make sure to file your claim as soon as you can...very important.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airbiggz View Post
    you can do this?????
    i had no idea lmao, the road bumbs on steeles really make your suspention work
    I think if you claimed against steeles, especially between Hwy 27 and Albion/Hwy 50, your claim would be approved. That stretch has been damaged for a yr or more and is now being fixed. I think if anything claims that went in say 2 weeks before, will be accepted eventually. Now that they are fixing it, and it's taken 2 weeks to get a claim in, it might be suspicious.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if this works, for Speed bumps. i was driving through some neighborhoods, and there are speed bumps on the road. they are the same grayish color as the road, so it's very hard to see them especially at night. . I hit one or two of them pretty hard, thank fully know damage. there are no signs to warn of speed bumps either.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zoso View Post
    I wonder if this works, for Speed bumps. i was driving through some neighborhoods, and there are speed bumps on the road. they are the same grayish color as the road, so it's very hard to see them especially at night. . I hit one or two of them pretty hard, thank fully know damage. there are no signs to warn of speed bumps either.
    I think they design speed bumps for speed limits. So if you get damaged it means you were speeding? Im just guessing cuz it makes sense to me.

Black Mica 2005 Mazda 3 GS 5-Speed Fully Loaded
    Mods:23% Tints, Kenstyle Lip Kit, RX8 Rims, Yellow Koni's, Ebiache Sportline, Red CP-E Plate, Fogs, Window Visors, VG Sharkfin, Red Gorilla Lugnuts, PIAA Wipers, Ractive SRI, 6000k HID's, Hawk Brake Pads, Open Mouth Grill, Axela Badge, Red Lighted Door Sills, LED License Plate Lights, LED Dome and Map Lights, Carbon Fiber Mazdaspeed 5spd Shiftknob, TM3 Plates, PINK Angel Eyes (Suppose to be RED.../cry)
    Future Mods:Fix Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, Eyelids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast