Thread: Cold air is really cold

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cold air is really cold

Don't know if this is a problem or just me.

Recently I have noticed that when I have the temperature set to Cold without the A/C on it is really cold. It feels like the A/C is on, but when I turn on the A/C it gets even colder and you can hear the engine working harder.

I am wondering if there maybe a leak in the A/C? Can anyone perhaps help or provide some insight?
    - Nilesh Mistry -
    2006 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    GFX Package
    Carbon Grey

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cold air is really cold

lucky you! most people complain about it not being strong enough...mine is kinda weak, i have an '05.
    '05 Black Hatch * 6000k Prolumen HID's * Interior LED's * Eibach Pro-Kit * Unibrow * 20% Tint * Aluminum Gas Cover * Vibrant Front Strut Brace

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You probably have the mode set at 12 o'clock or to the right. Any of those modes automatically turns on the a/c.
    2006 Mazda 3 Sport GT●Black Mica●Manual●Sunroof

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarbro View Post
    You probably have the mode set at 12 o'clock or to the right. Any of those modes automatically turns on the a/c.
    That would make sense if the AC light (green) came on. But when I've done this the light does not come on.

2006 Copper Red Mazda3 GT Sport

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed yesterday that the A/C comes on with the defrost, even though the green light isn't lit.

Quote Originally Posted by nileshmistry73 View Post
    I am wondering if there maybe a leak in the A/C? Can anyone perhaps help or provide some insight?
    Are you suggesting that some cold might be leaking out of your A/C system??

Not making fun of you as I understand that you don't understand how A/C works, but that's really kinda hilarious.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just went outside and tried this myself. I shut off the AC and turned the knob to the defrost indicator and I got a blast of cold air. The AC indicator light never came on. It's hard to believe the AC is working without the light coming on (sounds like a design flaw). But who am I to judge. Then again the cold air could be due to the fact that the air temp outside at this moment is somewhere around "farking cold."

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    I just went outside and tried this myself. I shut off the AC and turned the knob to the defrost indicator and I got a blast of cold air. The AC indicator light never came on. It's hard to believe the AC is working without the light coming on (sounds like a design flaw). But who am I to judge.
    Yeah, I wouldn't really call it a design flaw as I've seen various other manufacturers do the same thing but I know what you mean. I believe the light for the air circulation (recycle cabin air or get air from outside) changes accordingly though....strange that they properly display this setting but not the A/C...go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    Then again the cold air could be due to the fact that the air temp outside at this moment is somewhere around "farking cold."
    My original thought when I read the complaint.
    John | 金柱南 | flickr | VividLightPhotography

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely call it a design flaw. That light should be on any time the A/C is engaged. Why wouldn't it be? That's what the light is for!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically the A/C is on for the defrost. What it's doing is removing moisture from the air before it goes inside the cabin, hence the defrost bit. But if you turn the temperature to cold, it should act pretty similar to having the A/C on. I'm sure there is some amount of difference from having the button pressed versus not.
    Diesel tractor...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was to my understanding its just sucking in the outside air when the temp knob is on cold....and since its been really cold out the last day or so, its obviously gonna be cold.
    try the same sequence after a day or so of 30 degree weather....the air won't be cold anymore.!
    Adam - Kitchener, Ontario.
    Far Far West O'l G! Proud Owner of the Whop-Toboggan Rice Bomb!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for all their input.

I think Xerox is right! In my sister's Acura 1.7EL the A/C turns on when set to defrost and the light comes on as well.

I will try it over the next few days and when the temp is plus 30.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Xerox View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't really call it a design flaw as I've seen various other manufacturers do the same thing but I know what you mean. I believe the light for the air circulation (recycle cabin air or get air from outside) changes accordingly though....strange that they properly display this setting but not the A/C...go figure.

My original thought when I read the complaint.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats with any vehicle, if you have the temperature knob set to the coldest setting it will still have cool air coming through the vents even if the speed knob is at 0...... or whichever location the setting knob is on floor/person/defrost. If you do the reverse its the same. If you have the temperatur control knob on the heat side or at the max heat level and you still have the settings at 0 you are still getting hot air creeping in. The A/C setting turns on the compressor which cools the air that much more. In a sense its almost like the old "vent" settings on the older vehicles. Besides can you really complain about super cold air??? Nothing better on a really hot day

Will
    "4 doors are better then 2, this way it's twice the zoom zoom"

That's Mr. APRIL NOOB 2 U

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you've got the vent selector at noon or further right, as others have mentioned, the ac compressor comes on, whether you have the ac button selected or not. usually, the reason for this is to help defrost/defog the windows when it's cold outside, since the freon-like stuff also doubles as a dehumidifier.
    There is a theory which states that a billion monkeys pounding on a billion keyboards will eventually produce the works of Shakespeare.

Thanks to the Internet, we now know this theory is wrong.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we complaining that cold air is coming out of the vents when it is set to cold when the A/C id off or are we making a statement. If you consider this is a problem I am scared. The reason I ask is this is the "problems with the mazda3" section.

Did it continue to blow cold after the car was running for a bit or did the air coming out warm up?
    2006 Mazda3 Sport GT - Snowflake Pearl White - Luxury Package
    2006 Mazda Tribute GS-V6 - Light Silver Metallic

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He thought it was a problem because he thought the A/C might be leaking cold.

Now it's all been explained. No more problem.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we can conculde this post!

It seems that when the far left knob is set of defrost this is when I get the really cold air (which is still unusally colder then cars I have had pervious). So this makes sense now.

Thanks again!