Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Popular Springs Members' Review

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Popular Springs Members' Review

First off, I'd like to say the start of this thread is the end to many questions; that being the reason I started it.

After much research on both TM3 and M3F I did not come up with any straight answers or reviews that I was looking for. I'd like to thank many of the members on this forum who I messaged privately flooding them with questions and they returned many answers. All of your help and experience has been very helpful in making some decisions as well as swaying my thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following is review, stats and description of popular springs. Open to further questions and comments about different lowering springs. Please contribute your advice and experiences with your springs as I'd like to make this a sticky for future 'droppers'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POPULAR SUSPENSION REVIEW

DATA FROM HERE: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=18747.0

DROP RANGE: 0 - 0.75"

RACING BEAT
    DROP: 0.5" around
    SPRING RATE: unknown
    DESCRIPTION: Small drop, performance/handling oriented. barely visible. Decent ride, not to harsh. Supposedly 30% stiffer than stock.

STOCK MAZDASPEED 3 SPRINGS
    DROP: sedan 0.2" hatch 0.5" around
    DESCRIPTION: Small drop, performance/handling oriented. barely visible. Decent ride, stiffer than stock. Will fit non-speed 3's.

DROP RANGE: 0.76 - 1.25"

MAZDASPEED AFTERMARKET
    DROP: 1.2" around
    DESCRIPTION: Mid level drop. Appropriate for many rims sizes without rubbing issues. Believed to be rebadged Eibach Pro-Kits (see Eibach).

EIBACH PRO-KIT
    DROP: 1.2" around
    SPRING RATE: (F) 160 (R) 171
    DESCRIPTION: Mild drop, visual and handling oriented. Noticable drop with stiffer ride. Main choice between many owners for lowering their 3.

H & R
    DROP: 1.3" Front 1,2" Rear
    SPRING RATE:
    DESCRIPTION: Mild drop, visual and slightly handling oriented. Noticable drop with slightly stiffer ride. Rare expensive choice. Not very stiff causing noticable camber wear.

TEIN H-TECH
    DROP: SEDAN - 0.9" front 0.5" rear HATCH - 1.2" front 0.9" rear
    SPRING RATE: (F) 150 (R) 220
    DESCRIPTION: Mild drop, visual and comfort mild handling oriented. Noticable drop. Front known to sag up to 0.2" more than specified. Noted between owners as best ride quality with a drop.

DROP RANGE: 1.26 - 2.00"

EIBACH SPORTILINE
    DROP: 1.8" Around
    SPRING RATE: (F) 97 - 280 (R) 114 - 303
    DESCRIPTION: Large drop, visual and slightly handling oriented. Noticable drop with stiffer ride overall but comfortable because of progressive spring rate. Main choice between many owners for lowering their 3 to the ground. A great spring for an ultra low setup all around. Wheel/tire size sensative to rubbing.

TEIN S-TECH
    DROP: SEDAN - 1.6" front 1.1" rear HATCH - 2.0" front 1.5" rear
    SPRING RATE: (F) 160 (R) 240
    DESCRIPTION: Large drop, visual and handling oriented. Noticable drop. Commented as being stiffer than the sportlines with near drop. Front known to sag up to 0.2" more than specified. A good look while retaining a stiff but not unreasonable ride. Wheel/tire combination sensative to rubbing.

CANUCK MOTORSPORTS
    DROP: SEDAN - 1.55" front 1.55" rear HATCH - 1.75" front 1.75" rear
    SPRING RATE: (F) (R)
    DESCRIPTION: Large drop, visual and budget oriented. Noticable drop. Not a very well known spring. Canadian made for budget minded motorists. Spring rate is unknown, but is assumed to be on the softer side of lowering spring rates.

WHAT IS A SPRING? Learn Here: http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handlin..._springs.shtml
    Thanks 'Turn Fast' for the article and to Fuman for the link.
    Last edited by 3GFX; 02-01-2008 at 10:33 AM.
    - - - - - - | NOW | 08' VW Jetta 2.0T | - - - - - - - | BEFORE | 04' Mazda 3 GT/GFX | - - - - - -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Popular Springs Members' Review

I don't mean to double post, but I just wanted to ask my question outside of the above data.

I'm tied between the H-Tech and Pro-Kit. Many of you have mentioned s-Tech, but cyberscorpi has the same wheel/tire setup and he said the shop he got his car lowered at recommended not to go lower than Pro-Kits.

I've just got some questions about the Pro-Kits and H-Techs. How do the two stack up. I like the H-Tech, but I don't want the front to sag much lower than the rear. I was also wondering if the whole car will sag because 0.9 and 0.5 for the sedan isn't much of a drop.

Also how is the H-Tech handling. I want it to be stiffer than stock, and still be lower. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by 3GFX; 07-25-2007 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the test drives I took with a few members cars before I selected my springs, I found the H tech to be too soft for my taste. That's why I went pro kit, and never looked back.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been on H-techs for about 6 months now. The front does sag a little but it's not that big of a difference when compared to the back. I think it might be a problem if you have a sedan. Since 1.1 and 0.5 is a pretty big difference.

I felt that handling was improved when cornering. I don't have any other aftermarket suspension parts but the H-techs seem to eliminate some body roll.
    2010 Dyno Blue Honda Civic Si

LED HEADLIGHT KIT: Link
    HID Slim Kits 2015: Link
    Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/importstuning

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats wrong with sportline? it has bigger drop rate and is cheaper than prokits?

07mica||Prolumens|CompustarPro|Lids|oemFogs||want2buy|Rims|Grill|Prokits||Spoiler|

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dr1ft3r View Post
    Whats wrong with sportline? it has bigger drop rate and is cheaper than prokits?
    If you don't change your shocks, the stock ones will be finished faster. And you have a chance of rubbing if you go with other tire sizes.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so sporline no good? dang...anybody on sportlines had this problem? i haven't read anything like that here. coz sporlines would have been my choice when i choose to lower my car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still loving my Prokits Bro! So far, no rubbing or tire wear.

The drop is not as dramatic as Sportsline, but with our Wheel size and Offset; (If installed with Sportsline) I'm afraid every little bumps or humps will result in rubbing or worst tire damage.
    Last edited by cyberscorpi0; 07-26-2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: re-worded

Ride
    Subaru BRZ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not another spring thread.

Dave man make up your mind already and get some springs!!

From what I've seen majority of the people are running Pro-Kits. With your current set-up you should be fine man. I've been running on S-Techs since I got my 3 on and off. I got mad camber wear but hey they look good and the car handles great still on stock shocks w/ 105,000km.

So someone sell this guy some Pro-Kits!! Keep in mind you might need a camber kit even w/ Pro-Kits.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, yea I bet I'm stepping on a few people's nerves with all the questions. Hehe. Sorry Joe

I just wanted to post up all the info I've gotten so no one else will have to search as much as I did. The M3F posting is great but each member has their own experience with springs and I wanted to share that with everyone in one final thread, hehe.

If I had the money, I'd buy ///M's coil overs (bump) but that is my problem. I might have come across a good deal for H-Techs, but I still think I'm going to go Pro-Kits. This summer just seems to be an expensive one, with a lot of regular maintenance. Springs are hard to justify on my budget and unfortunatly I missed the boat on some good deals for Pro-Kits. The problem is going with new Pro-Kits and even with good prices it's a healthy $400. On a student budget, its a hard chew.

I'll admit the biggest problem here is that I want springs sooooo bad, but I ain't got the buck to support the habbit :p

I assure everyone this is my last spring thread. I hope for everyone else this helps them most of all!!!

EDIT: Dr1ft3r, Sportlines are a great spring, but my wheel/tire setup, and the fact that I live in the boonies (rough winter) I just can't go that low. STechs and Sportlines won't be my cup of tea.

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since we're on the spring topic, you guys think H-techs can handle London weather?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sp3GT. I don't think H-Techs would have many issues from what I've heard. If anything they are slightly higher than the pro-kits (at least in the rear). They are slightly softer to which means they be a little better ride over rough stuff.

Sponsor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said it a billion times....go prokits or do'nt drop your car at all.
    2010 Subaru STI

Mods:
    Not enough room to list

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pearly View Post
    I said it a billion times....go prokits or do'nt drop your car at all.
    Plain and simple! lol. I know I know....guess I'll be saving a little longer

Sponsor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And i'm serious too. I think i'm the one that have used both on this board (AFAIK), so i have enough experience to tell you which one is better. Not trying to brag but just trying to give you the best suggestion and recommendation.

I actually missed the prokits cause they are so much stiffer then the sporlines i have now. But hey..nothing is perfect..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I PM'd Juan because at one point he had H-Techs before his Pro-Kits as well, but he's been busy.

Its just odd that Tein has different specs between hatch and sedan eh?

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
    I PM'd Juan because at one point he had H-Techs before his Pro-Kits as well, but he's been busy.

If I had a sedan I would definitely go for pro-kits, the 0.9 and 0.5 doesn't sound too noticeable.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got a set of S-Tech but i dont know if they will be to low for a speed

wat u guys think

Sponsor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't suggest putting S-tech on a speed. Its too soft for the car and for sure you're going to be disappointed after you put it on. Cause its going to be much softer then your stock setup.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post

The reason for the difference in drop is due to the weight of the sedan vs. the hatch. Id be surprised if the hatch on prokits didnt drop more then for the sedan as well. Also your stock mazdapseed3 spring information is wrong. Everyone THOUGHT that they would provide a half inch drop all around based on the specs. But no one took into account that the mazdapseed3 weighs almost 400 pounds more then the stock mazda3 sedan, about 250 more then the hatch. I suspect the hatch would of gotten close to a half inch drop all around but the sedan definitly didnt. Infact its a little funny. When i first put the stock speed3 springs on my sedan the front RAISED, but once settling id say it sits nearly the same as stock springs, maybe a little lower. The back droped tho, at least a inch. Maybe a bit more. Now that its all settling tho it actully doesnt look weird. Ill post a picture later tonight. Anyway, regardless im not that happy as I think the stock speed3 springs would be much better for someone with a hatchback and will be reselling them and picking up prokits .. not the biggest drop but i dont think i can justify m// coilovers ethier

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info (updated)! I know the drops are different between the sedan and hatch because of the weight differance, I'm just suprised the drop differance isn't more significant in the rear and less so in the front!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya I was shocked two, my guess is that the bulk of the extra weight for the speed3 is in the engine compartment (turbo, intercooler etc etc) and so they made the front springs stiffer then the other models and so when switched over to the other mazda3 models becuz they dont have those engine components it didnt drop it at all... I unno tho could be wrong but thats my guess

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually very surprised that noone seems to like the H&R springs! I have them on my car and absolutely love them! decent drop, vastly improved handling and feel... just perfect. I guess I am only one of a few with the H&Rs, I would never go back though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you still have them....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I read this title I think it is a review for the "popular springs" resort ha ha ha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast