truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Turbocharging the Mazda3 FAQ/INFO

Hey Everyone,

With a lot of guys and girls nearing the end of warranties, the need for more is catching up with them. Simply put, boost is the best bang for the buck. However, it is not a project to take lightly. Many things can go wrong, and the outcome is not always pretty... but when the kit is installed, and running properly, nothing else matters!

The below information is more geared towards the Hiboost kit. I will add to this while I think of things. I want to try and keep it MZ3 specific, and not just another Boost FAQ... there is enough out there!

Here are some things to think about if you want to boost:

Gauges
    ======

Cheap vs Expensive
    While I am a fan of nice fancy DEFI gauges, I do not see the need for them while running low boost. This is personal preference though. Are they better than cheap gauges? YUP! Will they give you a more accurate reading? It depends... If I am running 8PSI, and they both read 8PSI at the same time... great! However if building a car with VERY strict tolerances, DEFI may be for you (or if you have the money, and want the gauges). I would also assume that the more expensive gauges will last longer, and have a lower failure rate also. But for my project, I went with cheap, and so far, so good!

Which ones??
    Again, this is personal preference. In my opinion a BOOST gauge and AFR gauge are essentials. A boost gauge will show you how much boost you are running at any given time. An Air/Fuel Ratio gauge will give you your ratings in AFR or Lambda (depending on gauge... AFR is most common now). When buying an AFR gauge, a wideband is more desirable in a forced induction setup. It has a widesweeping 02 sensor, as opposed to a narrow sweep. This provides greater accuracey, and gets rid of the oscillation seen on narrowbands, which is the only way to tune properly. If going for a cheap gauge setup, be prepared. Even used Wideband often fetch $200+. AEM and Innovate Motorsports make 2 of the most affordable units, they are also ranked highly. Both use Bosch sensors too. If you have a third gauge hole (like me) and need to fill it... you cantt go wrong with a Oil Pressure or Pyrometer (aka EGT) gauge either.

Gauge Pods
    At the time of writing this, there are a few options available. Lotek makes a piece that goes above the center vents. It is an add-on, and not a replacement panel. Most people buy this, and mold it to the existing piece, to form an OEM look. A-Piller pods are also readily available most places. If neither of these appeal you can install them wherever you like, but it is a custom job.

Sandwich Adapters
    When boosting an NA Mazda3 with a HiBoost kit, you use the stock Oil Pressure location to feed the turbo. This is a problem if you want an oil pressure gauge. Having more and more brass fittings causes weight, and vibration. Brass fittings dont like vibration, so I opted to use a sandwhich adapter. This goes between the oil filter and housing, and has fittings in it. To do this on a 2.3L you must convert to a spin on housing (from a 2.0L) and use the 3/4"-16 sandwich plate (Honda Size!)

Additional Supplies
    When installing gauges, there is not much you need. A couple rolls of electrical wire (I prefer diff colours, as opposed to labeling), connectors, and tape should do. Boost gauges will come with tubing and vacuum line "T".... I found I needed more tubing though.

================================================== ====

Turbo/Motor Questions
    ===================

Do I have too many KMs to boost?
    There is no limit to how much mileageis on a car to boost it. I have owned cars in the past as high as 200K KM when I boosted them, and had no issues. The key is to ensure that your car is in excellent running condition, doesnt burn oil etc etc. Adding power, adds stress to your car, so be prepared.

How much can I boost on a stock motor?
    There is no exact number for this. Everyone may have a different experience. However, the common rule of thumb is that 10PSI can be run on a daily driver with no issues (assuming a good tune of course!). 8PSI is a much safer load, and what I currently run.

My turbo will support over 20PSI,, can't I run that?
    Sure. If your internals are stock, they wont last long. Stick with the above recomendations. If you want bigger boost, you need to look into forged internals, possibly bigger injectors, clutch, tuning, etc etc. Each setup will be different for this.

Do I need a oil Restrictor?
    Oil restrictors are a great idea in most setups. Hiboost has taken care of this in their kit through the oil feed line's banjo bolt.

Transmisson Questions
    ===================

What clutch do I need to buy?
    Many believe that the stock clutch is great for handling 300WHP and less every day. However, clutches do where out, and often a performance clutch is not much more than an OEM jobbie. SPEC makes a full line of clutches for the car, and can suit about any build. Another low cost, and highly effective replacement is what I call the "ACT Hybrid". This is an ACT 6-Puck clutch disc, coupled with a stock Mazda Pressure Plate, and Throw out Bearing. Feel is almost the same as stock, but the clamping power to support higher HP.

How long will my stock clutch last?
    No one can answer this. Driving style, abuse, manufacturing etc all play a role in longevity. Its impossible to know even on a stock car. I have approx 120K KMs on my car (as of Dec 1, 2007) and have no issues. 13K KMs of that total have been boosted.

Will my ATX transmission hold up?
    The ATX tranmission is weak. Plain and simple. MTX is more desirable, but if this is not an option you will want to look into Valvebodies and possibly a built transmission. A tranny cooler is also recommended to help keep tempurates low, which in turn may lower your failure rate. The Hiboost kits are available with a different base tune that ups the boost with RPMs. This reduces the shock on the transmission at lower RPMs.

What are Billet Gears?
    Billet Gears are just that... tranny gears that are made from billet steel. When running upwards of 300WHP in your Mazda3 many have found that the #3 and #4 gears have failed, as they arent designed for this power. Billet Gears offer a replacement for weak stock units, and they can handle substantially more power.

Fluids Questions
    ==============

Transmission Fluid Considerations
    When boosting, it is ideal to have a good transmisison fluid. While there is some debate on wich is better, there is nothing wrong with a properly rated, high quality synthetic transmission fluid. Motul, ELF, Redline, Royal Purple etc.

Royal Purple Lightweight Shockproof
    This transmission fluid has been recommended by many. It is a superior oil to other synthetics. It deals with the shock much better, but is not recommended to use in synchro transmissions (like ours). Many are running this in their Mazda3, and Protege's with no issues. It is commin to see this in modified Subarus etc, and no problems either. After using this personally in -20c weather, I must say I am impressed. The fluid does not feel much thicker than stock weight, and does not make shifting any harder.

What motor oil is recommended?
    Again, a preference, but a heaveir oil is VERY recommended. Jaun himself recommends something along the lines of a 10W-50 in regular weather and even down to a 5W-40 in the winter. Also make sure to use a synthetic oil!! Synthetic oil does not breakdown near as quickly as dino oils when exposed to extreme heat, and anyone who has had a turbo, knows about that heat!

Diveability
    =========

How is fuel Mileage affected?
    Simply put... Stay out of boost if you want fule mileage! . I personally drive a 50/50 mix of city/hwy driving, and get 400-425 consitantly. This is with some spirited driving etc too. On a recent trip to South Carolina, I was doing all highway driving, and almost no boosting, and would receive 550KMs before the low fuel light came on.

When do you reach full boost?
    This is a tough question, as the IHI VF22 included in my kit spools VERY quickly. Being a small, ball bearing turbo makes this happen. When cruising in 4th or 5th gear, out of boost, I can reach full boost in a matter of a couple seconds.

Winter Driving
    Although most wont winter drive their boosted Mazda3s, I must this year. So far, it is just like any other Mazda3. However, you must be careful not to boost in lower gears. The torque in lower gears will cause the tires too spin, and in the winter, thats no good!

Costs
    =====

How much is the Hiboost Kit?
    The HiBoost kit retails for $3950 on their website: www.hiboost.com and costs approc $250-300 for shipping.

What else do I need to buy, and how much?
    There is no exact list as every install is different. Here is a quick list of my costs:

- Royal Purple 15W40 Synthetic Oil Change w/ K&N Filter ($45ish)
    - Redline Lightweight Shockproof Tranny Fluid ($45ish)
    - Boost Gauge, Oil Pressure Gauge, sandwich plate, and 3 gauge pod (generic cheapie) ($120ish shipped)
    - AEM Wideband 02 used ($200 cash)
    - Misc connectors, zipties etc etc etc ($50ish?)

I hope this helps anyone interested in boosting. Please let me know if you have any other questions, and I will do my best to answer!
    Last edited by midnightfxgt; 12-03-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added more info!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to midnightfxgt For This Useful Post:

Noobster12 (01-06-2015)

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Turbocharging the Mazda3 FAQ/INFO

Reserving this post in case I need more room... LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very interesting, and very useful, a great ongoing reference. Sticky it shall be.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YAY! My first sticky ! lol

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

2006 Copper Red Mazda3 GT Sport

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Install day is tomorrow

Any questions, lemme know and I will try to answer!

-John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cant wait to see this!

good luck with the install
    - Broli

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you get frusterated and dont feel like u want 2 install the kit any more john, i`m only in whitby and accept gifts all hours of the nite

Ride
    2016 Subaru WRX
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am assuming the "Tranny Cooler" you are refering to is most commonly called an Intercooler?? (sorry if this sounds dumb as im not very familiar with everything)

Also, any plans for a blow-off valve??
    At 8 PSI what would you estimate as Horsepower gains??
    I was told at 10-12 psi usually a 15-25% HP gain, so assuming roughly 175-200HP stock??

I know my accord was pushing almost 240HP with I/H/E at 15 psi (just enough to smoke those H22 swaps)

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1flycdnM3 View Post
    I am assuming the "Tranny Cooler" you are refering to is most commonly called an Intercooler?? (sorry if this sounds dumb as im not very familiar with everything)
    The Tranny Cooler is not the intercooler. The intercooler looks like a rad and cools the air going through the system.

Also, any plans for a blow-off valve??
    You bet! I am going with the HKS SSQ... nice sound, and top notch quality.

At 8 PSI what would you estimate as Horsepower gains??
    I was told at 10-12 psi usually a 15-25% HP gain, so assuming roughly 175-200HP stock??
    Every car is different, but those are low estimates. At 8PSI I am looking at 260WHP wich is like 300ish HP.

I know my accord was pushing almost 240HP with I/H/E at 15 psi (just enough to smoke those H22 swaps)
    The accord was running 15PSI? Was it boosted? More than 40HP from a I/H/E sounds like a high estimate.

Thanks
    John

Ride
    Subaru BRZ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go Johnny!!

Can't wait to see this beast!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is their a budget we should carry for (supply and install)? Also where do you buy the parts and get it installed tuned? I'm very intersted to get this done next year. I gues I should hold off on the exhaust as a new header will be needer to power the turbo.

When do you feel the boost comes in? I have a Saab 93 and it gives a nice boost between 4500 - 5500 RPM, but you have to hit the gas and wait a second or two.
    2006 Mazda 3GT sedan
    Injen CAI, JDM ground wire kit and voltage regulator, SPYN JDX rims with 225/40/R18 Falken 912's, Vibrant strut bar, Eibach Pro kit.
    Navigon 7100 GPS, Beltronics STi RD, Valentine One, LPP laser jammer.
    My 3 is stored during the winter.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats why you need twin turbos, turbolag is a bish!
    '03 VW GTI - Silverstone Grey

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True enough but Turbo lag keeps races on the track interesting... not to mention... gives the other guy a little ego boost....

Will
    "4 doors are better then 2, this way it's twice the zoom zoom"

That's Mr. APRIL NOOB 2 U

Ride
    2016 Subaru WRX
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant my accord had around 240HP @ 15 psi (I/H/E) when i did a dyno run... actually it was 12 psi, not 15!

those are some pretty amazing gains for the "3" even at 8 psi... cant wait to see this Johnny! Thanks for the info

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey. How's the installation going?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he blew his motor. sourced another motor with roughly 70000km on it, reinstalled everything, and i quote his words "its scary fast"
    Adam - Kitchener, Ontario.
    Far Far West O'l G! Proud Owner of the Whop-Toboggan Rice Bomb!

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Farken eh! It ain't fast unless you piss your pants. Well done John.!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. I read about the engine problem, but thought he was still having some rough starting problems.

Any idea whether John got a kit or put something together himself?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he purchased the Hi Boost kit.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't heard from him in a few days, i presume its because he is driving entirely too fast to chat on MSN.

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Guys! I need to update this thread for sure, or make a new more complete Sticky. This car is awesome! its freakin quick, and smokes a lot of cars on the road. I need to do some tuning, but am having issues connecting my lappy to the Haltech.... I will let you know when she is tuned

-John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did u end up finding out wat caused the old motor to blow

and i got to see this thing on the road

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old motor for sure... bad instruction from the old owner on how the vacc lines go on the Boost Solenoid.

Coles Notes:
    He said one side vented to air... I thought the other did. He called me at the end of the install, and said he was looking at a pic of his, and he was right. So I listened to him. Motor blew, and I went and got the pic from him.... he mounted his boost solenoid upside down! So his left was my right and vice versa. Motor blew due to a boost spike of 14PSI LOL!

I should really bring it out to a meet soon. Its pretty fun. I took home 1st place at Tuner Style 3 in Peterbrough on the weekend for my class (Best Import Other mild)

-John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome stuff... Care to install one on mine?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast