Thread: Coin-op car wash, brushes?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coin-op car wash, brushes?

Everyone is saying that the brushes at coin-op car washes scratches your paint. If I use my own brush, anyone knows if it still scratches the paint?

Even with the high pressure washers, it doesn't seem to remove all the dirt in winter and I can never get it clean without a brush.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coin-op car wash, brushes?

I wouldn't use a brush period - even if it is new.

Maybe there are some high quality ones out there that I don't know of but in my experience brushes will leave swirls.

I consider coin-up washes and automatic car washes a quick touch-up clean only (and also good for washing salt away) so I wouldn't care too much if it still has a thin layer of dirt. If you want real clean, wash it yourself with a wash mit.
    Last edited by Xerox; 11-19-2007 at 04:14 PM.
    John | 金柱南 | flickr | VividLightPhotography

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second that. Id never go to one of those COIN op places anyway. TOTAL rip off. And ya if you ever look at those brushes they are FULL of dirt. May aswell just take sandpaper to your car.

I know its hard for those that don't have a house or place to wash, but if thats the case go to one of those touchless car washes.
    07 Mazda 3 GT Sport 5spd , Carbon Grey Mica, 35% tint, stubby, black Calipers, Tinted side indicators, Tinted Rear Reflectors.

Ride
    2012 Mazda 3
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience touchless washes don't do their full job when you have winter grime/salt build up. PLUS ... I can't get my ride in those things cause of being so low. They just move the dirt around, not really clean it. Maybe i'm oldschool (or just ghetto-fab) but I used the brushes as the coin ops and still have prestine paint on the protege.

Either that, or there soo much wax on there that it's hardly noticeable. I do give the brush a nice blast from the pressure washer they have there, but still go to town on the car with it.
    Frankie Snips | Westside | 2012 Mazdaspeed 3 | 2016 Mazda 3 | DOP3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your lucky then man. Oh I am not saying the touchless are the best but if you can get in one id rather that then the coin ops. If you just want to powerwash the shit off your car then the coin ops are fine (expensive) but fine. But thoses brushes are BAD. You must be lucky or ya LOTs of wax...

Ride
    2012 Mazda 3
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, could just be a lucky streak. Keepin my fingers crossed that it keeps up.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try to go when it's slow and bring my wash mitt and bucket. I haven't used the brushes for years but when I did it definitely left a few good scratches. If you do decide to use the brush, I would spray it like Junior suggested before using it on the car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a little tip my friend told me the other day.
    wear latex gloves when washing your car. they repel water so your hands do get cold from the water.

and for the very few times i actually use a coin-op car wash, im not too worried about swirl marks. besides, my car is silver, so they dont really show.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    I guess I should also rename the Engine/Drivetrain section "Arts & Crafts"
    2007 Mazda3 gx
    2003 Volkswagen GTI 20th Anniversary Edition
    2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Outdoorsman / 2012 Ducati Monster 796

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    I try to go when it's slow and bring my wash mitt and bucket. I haven't used the brushes for years but when I did it definitely left a few good scratches. If you do decide to use the brush, I would spray it like Junior suggested before using it on the car.
    Back before I had my own place with a hose, I used to do the same thing. Drive to the coin-op with my bucket and all my gear, and just wash the car there. I'd throw some coin in to fill the bucket and then again at the end to rinse it off. You couldn't pay me to touch my car with any of their brushes!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd never use the brush. In the winter I would go to the coin-op and just rinse the car. Then I would take it home and put on some warm clothes and wash it with a mitt in the garage. No need to dry, just a quick rinse with a bucket of water. Trick is not to let it get too dirty...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh I don't blast it either with the coin-op spray (just the undercarriage)... don't wanna rub in the dirt in to the paint.
    Last edited by ZeroChalk; 11-20-2007 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

always use sunoco touchless, they are good.

Ride
    2008 Mazda 5 GT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During winter you will never really get your car clean. As soon as you drive away you are bound to get spray from the tires. IMO I usually use touchless/railess car washes in the winter using the under carriage spray, i know it doesn't do much but it helps, and the odd time if it is nice out i will go to a coinwash again never using the brush. I have always used the pressure gun.

Starting in spring is when i start to hand wash the car with a wash mitt.

NEVER BRUSHES!!!
    2015 GT 4Dr Titanium Flash Mica

2006 GT Sport Winning Blue Mica, Painted Calipers w/white MAZDA caliper decals, Footwell Illumination front+back, Winter Tire Pkg, CX7 Stubby Antenna, Aluminum Manual Pedal set from group buy by YOTR, 2.3 Badges, Axela badge to make me go even FASTER

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all been said before but I like to get my 2 cents in

Using the brush at a coin wash is just bad for the finish, bring some latex gloves a bucket with soap and a mit, works great or just use brushless auto washes.But like I mentioned in another post I don't mind splurging and getting the vehicle hand washed and vacuumed once a month @ $25 a pop...atleast that way I know all the grime accumulated is gone.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's just me, but I've never had any problems with coin- op washes. I've een using them for years (even with previous cars). My only concern is making sure I fully wipe it down afterwards so there are no streaks/ water marks....

(why does it always seem like I'm the odd person out!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!)
    resident "Bouncer"; all-around nice guy ...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brushes can be a bad thing but also remember the hose on both the sprayer and the brush. The odd time I used to go with my prior vehicle, I would first put the coins in and then wash down the brush and the hoses.

Winters are tough on our cars and you can't really get away from the scratches. You can only minimize based on what others posted here.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by p-o-g-i View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I've never had any problems with coin- op washes. I've een using them for years (even with previous cars). My only concern is making sure I fully wipe it down afterwards so there are no streaks/ water marks....

(why does it always seem like I'm the odd person out!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!)
    I've always used them too without any major issues...although my previous car was 8 years old and already had plenty of swirls. I'm more concerned about my Mazda since it's True Red and will make any imperfections very obvious. Fortunately there is a touchless car wash near my house that does an amazing job at getting all the winter grime off. The most important thing is to at least get the salt off during winter.

Ride
    2012 Mazda 3
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder 3 View Post
    The most important thing is to at least get the salt off during winter.
    As long as there is no moisture, the salt isn't the major issue. If the temperature dips and it stays consistently cold, it's a better idea to let the salt stay as is, until it warms up again.

Once you start hosing that salt off, you're adding to the possibility of rust.

Moisture is the culprit of rust, and salt helps accelerate that process. No water and just salt, you'll be ok. Let keep the car dirty on those super cold days.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoy View Post
    Winters are tough on our cars and you can't really get away from the scratches. You can only minimize based on what others posted here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    As long as there is no moisture, the salt isn't the major issue. If the temperature dips and it stays consistently cold, it's a better idea to let the salt stay as is, until it warms up again.

Once you start hosing that salt off, you're adding to the possibility of rust.

Moisture is the culprit of rust, and salt helps accelerate that process. No water and just salt, you'll be ok. Let keep the car dirty on those super cold days.
    quoted for truth.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I used the Coin Op Brushes to clean my winter steelies *shows embarrassed look*

I would stay away from using the brushes. Even to coin ops, I still bring my own bucket and microfibre sponge.

Mazda3 SOLD. Bye Bye XeBa

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I'll probably get flamed for this, but I used the Coin Op Brushes to clean my winter steelies *shows embarrassed look*

I would stay away from using the brushes. Even to coin ops, I still bring my own bucket and microfibre sponge.
    What's there to be embarrassed about? Thats all those brushes are good for is the wheels! ...I do the same ...Anybody ever see how and what people use those brushes on? Tow truck drivers use them to clean all the crap off thier beds and wheels as an example.Those brushes would definitely be all ****ed up and contain who knows what imbedded in them....not a good idea to use them on your delicate paint finish.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to bring a bucket of suds with me to the Coin-Op during the winter.

I have used the brush before (after gunning it off) but mostly on windows and wheels only.

I have once or twice used it on the paint, but like Junior, I always have a lot of wax on my ride.

I wouldn't recommend it though. You see guys with tow trucks and pickups washing wheel wells, truck beds, undercarriage etc. with them.

The touchless car washes are OK, but they still leave a layer or film on the car that needs to be taken off with a mit.

I wouldn't go to the "soft cloth" car washes either.

Luckily I now have a car wash in my condo building (still coin-op) so I don't have to go far to clean my ride.

It gets washed, dried, and then parked with the car cover in place.
    Mike:
    2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    2008.5 Mazda 3 Sport GT (sold)
    2003 Mazdaspeed Protege #143 (sold)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having a lot of wax on your paint will not protect it from damage from the contaminated brush.

Also, be careful when drying your vehicle after a touchless wash. Because it's not entirely clean, if you rub a cloth or anything else on the paint, dirt will get caught in the cloth and be dragged across your finish, resulting in damage to the clearcoat.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just wandering how many ppl do the diamond coatting for the car? i do that once every summer both my RX-7 and MS3 and my dad's suv. that helps.