Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlights not turning on?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Headlights not turning on?

Had my vehicle serviced today because it slid into a curb and the speed sensor was knocked (thus locking my breaks on).

Now - they always play with everything everytime I go in there. I hate it because I have my car a certain way with the lights and my seats and my mirrors and they move or change EVERYTHING. Anyways - I didn't realize it until I went out an hour ago - but I have no headlights. I have fog lights and tail lights and my yellow running lights are working (and turn signals). But the actual HEADLIGHT isn't coming on. I played with the switches and nothing I did made them come on.

So am I missing something? Is there a blown fuse that ONLY affects the headlights?
    Heather - www.heatherwindsor.com

Goodbye Mazda...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Headlights not turning on?

does ur DRL work?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DRL? Daytime running lights? I have no white light coming from the headlamps at all. The yellow lights beside the headlamps work, and my fog lights work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could be a blown fuse. Same thing happened to me last year.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah but left and right runs on 2 seperate fuses unless you are running a relay then there will be only 1 fuse to power both. why dont you elaborate on your issue so we can maybe help you

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How exactly do you want me to elabourate? I think I've explained it exactly as it stands. I have no headlights. Period.

I already said what lights ARE working. It was fine yesterday when it was towed to the dealership for repair.

What else are you looking for?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took it to the dealer this morning - Service Manager tells me that it's the bulbs that are blown.

That sounds strange to me, since they were working when it was towed to the dealer, and it was in service the entire day Friday and when I picked it up this was the issue. How often do BOTH headlamps blow at the same time? While it's being serviced? I'm thinking thats pretty damn rare.

Service Manager STILL charges me for the parts. Says he'll install them for free, but I have to pay for the bulbs. No it's not the cost that pisses me off, its the principle behind the events and how it was handled. Apparently "bulbs blow all the time - you can't prove that it happened here. You've been coming here long enough - would we do that to your car on purpose?".

Perhaps not on PURPOSE, but it's too coincidental don't you think? Wow - great customer service you people have going on.

I'm pissed. This is just another letdown from Whitby Mazda and definitely the last time they will ever get my business. Scarboro bent over backwards for me in the summer whereas Whitby sent me home saying "nothing we can do to help you".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is unfortunate. And agreed it is very unusual to have both lights blow at the same time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree it is strange... but one time when I had my car in for a new front bumper... I picked it up and both my headlights were burnt out too! I thought b.s. and I was pissed. So I bought new bulbs to try and they both worked. I installed them myself so I know it was the bulbs. So the only thing I could figure is that when they shut my hood... they must have slammed it in order to damage both bulbs. Just my exp as it sounds similar to yours... I had silverstars at the time...

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by super_vixen View Post
    How exactly do you want me to elabourate? I think I've explained it exactly as it stands. I have no headlights. Period.

I already said what lights ARE working. It was fine yesterday when it was towed to the dealership for repair.

What else are you looking for?
    did you check to see if they were plugged in properly?

it could've been a loose connection and Whitby Mazda took you for a ride by just plugging it back in and saying you needed new bulbs.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah - I checked everything and it was all fine. I assumed it might have been a fuse at first, but apparently it was the bulbs.

I still think its a giant load of BS. I'd love to lodge a complaint, but I know it will fall on deaf ears.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't it possible that the impact rattled them enough that they then blew within a day or so?

Incidentally, what's this about a speed sensor locking up your brakes? I've never heard of that before. How does that work?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is all done with but it would have been nice to see the bulbs first hand to check that they blew (check the filament).
    John | 金柱南 | flickr | VividLightPhotography

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
    Isn't it possible that the impact rattled them enough that they then blew within a day or so?

Incidentally, what's this about a speed sensor locking up your brakes? I've never heard of that before. How does that work?

The car was going no more than 5-10km/h when it slid into the curb. The car hadn't even left my street yet (I live on a court - it's not possible to get a lot of speed before the stop sign). I can't see that being impact enough to rattle the bulbs (personally), considering the first year I had the car it slid into a curb doing 50km/h with a lot of damage to the axle, but nothing else.

No idea about the speed sensor. All I know is that my brakes were locked up and the ABS and e-brake lights were stuck on. I'd never heard of it before either, and the guy explained it to me as being the impact that jarred it. I'd love to know more, but again - it's Whitby Mazda and they obviously don't care much about their customer service (can you tell I'm angry? lol).
    If anyone else has heard/knows more about it - love to hear it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Xerox View Post
    I know this is all done with but it would have been nice to see the bulbs first hand to check that they blew (check the filament).
    Yeah - probably would have been a good idea. Sadly, I was seeing red and didn't even think to ask.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe im wrong, but when one bulb goes the other one goes shortly after due to the increased amount of voltage crossing through one bulb? im not saying thats what happened but it couldve burnt out the day before and the bump persuaded the other one to blow

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lowpro2002 View Post
    maybe im wrong, but when one bulb goes the other one goes shortly after due to the increased amount of voltage crossing through one bulb? im not saying thats what happened but it couldve burnt out the day before and the bump persuaded the other one to blow
    I'm not saying that's not possible in some cases, but I was standing in front of the car after it was towed to the dealer and the headlights were on and fine. I know they were working up until it went into service.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello all,

Got the same problem (-minus hitting the curb) Only had the car 2 days. Got in last night, thought the lights looked a little funny....only the fog lights and parking lights are working. No DRL either.
    Thanks for one poster's suggestion of checking the connections, have checked the main 40A fuse in the engine fuse box. Could not find the interior fuse box on the passenger side (it was dark)_will try today.

Only has 120Km on it...If its not the fuses, its back to the dealership. Will see what they say.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah - probably would have been a good idea. Sadly, I was seeing red and didn't even think to ask.
    It wouldn't matter if they were blown or not! ...the point here is that they were working when the car went in and not when it came out...simple....the tech guys obviously did something wrong to blow something and the dealer should have done the right thing and fixed it for free.One thing I see alot of techs do that bothers me is after they have disconnected the battery to do service they will not insure that all things are off before re-connecting the terminals, this is not a good practice.

Vixen, seriously I realize you have time constraints and all but do yourself a favour before you have a meltdown and make the effort to take the car into Scarboro, you know they'll treat you right there.

_3

Ride
    Ralliart
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if i missed out, but do you have HIDs?, because when i took my car for bodyshop, they toast my whole kit, had to go home in the dark with no lights only fogs..but I made them to reimburse me full amount after i called head office of my insurance company ugh!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Hello all,

Got the same problem (-minus hitting the curb) Only had the car 2 days. Got in last night, thought the lights looked a little funny....only the fog lights and parking lights are working. No DRL either.
    Thanks for one poster's suggestion of checking the connections, have checked the main 40A fuse in the engine fuse box. Could not find the interior fuse box on the passenger side (it was dark)_will try today.

Only has 120Km on it...If its not the fuses, its back to the dealership. Will see what they say.

I wouldn't even try and fix it yourself, its under warranty, let the dealer look after it...let us know how you make out, what the problem was
    Last edited by mazda lover; 04-10-2008 at 09:23 PM. Reason: addition

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying that's not possible in some cases, but I was standing in front of the car after it was towed to the dealer and the headlights were on and fine. I know they were working up until it went into service.
    Im suspecting the dealer tricked you...changed the bulbs to burnt ones and made money out of you....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Hello all,

I agree with mazda_lover.....i wouldnt touch the car as its under warranty....have the dealer check it for you.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do whatever you can under warranty...cause as I've found out...it all goes downhill after that

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazdathree View Post
    Im suspecting the dealer tricked you...changed the bulbs to burnt ones and made money out of you....

Well that wasn't exactly something I could prove either way. If a dealer has to go to that trouble to make money, I'd say thats beyond pathetic. I somehow doubt that was the case. I do fault them for shorting out the lights during service however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast