Thread: Mazdaspeed3 Dyno - Tag Racecraft

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mazdaspeed3 Dyno - Tag Racecraft

I think I will hit the TAG dyno too. I know the previous owner of my kit hit 250WHP at 8PSi, so I should be around that.

-John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure that your results were affected by your snow tires. The softer grooved tires definitely affect results. Go back there with your summer fronts on and I am willing to bet you make at least a minimum of 20 hp more. I have $20 to back my statement. Anybody want to bet? Furthermore, you put the intake on and then dynoed. The computer takes time to reset, learn and adjust mapping for the new intake.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dad View Post
    I am sure that your results were affected by your snow tires. The softer grooved tires definitely affect results. Go back there with your summer fronts on and I am willing to bet you make at least a minimum of 20 hp more. I have $20 to back my statement. Anybody want to bet? Furthermore, you put the intake on and then dynoed. The computer takes time to reset, learn and adjust mapping for the new intake.
    The rolling mass of winters is less and so long as the diameter is the same i can't see how summers would be any better. Summers would be worse if i had to guess but not sure
    Last edited by Unoriginalusername; 02-20-2008 at 09:25 PM.

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Explain please! Not doubting it, since I dont know, but you have peaked my interest

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Dad, i won't bet against you. i'm goin back w/ the summers on - whether or not it made a difference - but like UU, i'm headin back w/ the AP... as you can tell by my sig, i'm pretty high on it

all this info helps me... & my ego. thanks guys

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by REZXPERT View Post
    Big Dad, i won't bet against you. i'm goin back w/ the summers on - whether or not it made a difference - but like UU, i'm headin back w/ the AP... as you can tell by my sig, i'm pretty high on it

all this info helps me... & my ego. thanks guys
    or maybe my car just makes 35 more whp then yours LOL

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just smoked a 300C with HEMI yesterday, lol....that guy was totally pissed.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginalusername View Post
    or maybe my car just makes 35 more whp then yours LOL
    that's b/c that bottle under your seat is Nitro, me, JD's.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's b/c that bottle under your seat is Nitro, me, JD's.
    no guessing at my secret mods on order

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightfxgt View Post
    Explain please! Not doubting it, since I dont know, but you have peaked my interest
    I assume that you are refering to the tires.

I am basing this on my experience with motorcycle racing. The National series abides by a dyno enforced hp cap. Therefore we dyno quite a fair bit to get as close as we can to the limit without going over (we also use a dyno jet dyno). The performance (summer) tires we use are either slicks or dots that resemble slicks with a couple of minimal grooves to meet the dot standard. We also use rains (similar to winters) which are very soft and have lots of groves and tread depth. The slicks/dots connect with the drum and do not have much drive loss. The grooved rains loose traction and have drive loss due to their flexibility and constantly adjusting "footprint." Basicaly, there is something soft and mushy between the wheel and the dyno drum. Typically we see a difference of 10% loss with the rains. Some teams take advantage of this and map for more power in the rain knowing that they will still stay under the limit.

Snow tires are similar, therefore that explains my confidence in my statement.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the weight difference of steelies would offset any difference in the compound, and honestly in 4th gear with two widder tires with an lsd i can't see it making as much difference on a car as it would on a bike

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MS3 stock wheels and tires weigh 44.5 pounds each. I do not use steele winter wheels so I do not know what they weigh, but I would assume more depending on tire size and if you went with a 16'' or 17". I smell a bet coming lol. Let us meet up at the dyno on Saturday and find out who is right!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats what i been told, use higher performence tire for the dyno and get closer reality numbers on wheel, anyway, theres only speed3 dyno done in this forum, theres really nothing to compare with. but hey, as long as we still get the power from the snail, we should be powerful enough. i should buy the AP this time.

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm... I was half debating bringing 2 summers and doing a before and after run for you guys. BUT... I stripped my tuner key in the fall... so screw that lol!

-John

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if we fast fwd'd a month, i'd seriously head back to Tag w/ my summers on b/c both you guys sound pretty sure of yourselves. not to undermine you both but i'm gonna give Mel @ Tag a call tomorrow and run your theories by him as he's done a tonne of dynos on all kinds of cars, street & race. i'll let you know.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if we fast fwd'd a month, i'd seriously head back to Tag w/ my summers on b/c both you guys sound pretty sure of yourselves. not to undermine you both but i'm gonna give Mel @ Tag a call tomorrow and run your theories by him as he's done a tonne of dynos on all kinds of cars, street & race. i'll let you know.
    cool keep us posted

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool keep us posted
    just spoke to Mel. you guys can take this for what it's worth but he agreed that the wheels would affect the results. he sounded pretty confident, no hummin n hawwin. i pressed him for some numbers and he said the weight of the wheels & tire tread can impact results by as much as 10WHP. that's significant, IMO. (fyi, SRI install before dyno wouldn't make a diff)

i'm goin back for sure w/ the summers. a few weeks before i do, i'm gonna post a Dyno Invite thread. what do you think?
    Last edited by REZXPERT; 02-21-2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: add info

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great idea, count me in. Btw, did he unhook the battery terminal to reset the ecu after mounting the intake? If not I have heard it takes at least 100km's of driving for the ECU to figure the new air fuel ratios. Was the tuner monitering the A/F ratios during the runs?

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Intake will take a bit to fully re-learn, as its a very adaptive ECU, and even with the tires, I cant seem to figure out why there would be a 40WHP difference between James and this car. Only way to REALLY tell is to throw them both on the dyno at the same day etc

-John

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great idea, count me in. Btw, did he unhook the battery terminal to reset the ecu after mounting the intake? If not I have heard it takes at least 100km's of driving for the ECU to figure the new air fuel ratios. Was the tuner monitering the A/F ratios during the runs?
    no, he didn't unhook the battery terminal after the intake install. he was monitoring the A/F ratios though and didn't point out anything unusual.
    i'll make sure to take better notes when i go back as it was my first go on dyno.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Intake will take a bit to fully re-learn, as its a very adaptive ECU, and even with the tires, I cant seem to figure out why there would be a 40WHP difference between James and this car. Only way to REALLY tell is to throw them both on the dyno at the same day etc
    -John
    and that i would be down for! our cars are virtually the same. i'm sure he'll agree to it after we install our AP's this spring.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and that i would be down for! our cars are virtually the same. i'm sure he'll agree to it after we install our AP's this spring.

ya for sure but i problem is i want to go back to where i have gone for the past two dyno days since i have a baseline there and you have a baseline here so that leaves somebody screwed.

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To bad your car wasnt out now James, for $30 it would be a fun test for sure.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To bad your car wasnt out now James, for $30 it would be a fun test for sure.
    oh i know for $30 i'd bring it anyways just for fun... and you could help me remove those interior pieces i can't get off so that i could get them in and started so they would be done in a few weeks

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya for sure but i problem is i want to go back to where i have gone for the past two dyno days since i have a baseline there and you have a baseline here so that leaves somebody screwed.
    yeah well F my baseline - i want a new one. where did you get dyno'd again, James?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast