Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For all the Hockey Fans!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default For all the Hockey Fans!!

Alright guys.... its that time of year... as the Trade Deadline approaches.
    Opinions on possible moves?? How about Sundin, Tucker, Kubina and Kaberly refusing to wave their No Trade Clauses? do you guys think this hurts or helps the leafs?

To me I think Sundin showed his true colours, while he has made the comment that he wants to stay as a Captain would stay with his sinking ship, I feel his decision will hurt the leafs for the future. Had he waived his clause The leafs really could have got some great young talent to help for the future and help fix the mess that Fletcher caused in the past by getting rid of all the young talent.

As for other teams woot woot Look out habs fans get jersey #81 ready cuz here comes HOSSA!!!!

Will
    "4 doors are better then 2, this way it's twice the zoom zoom"

That's Mr. APRIL NOOB 2 U

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: For all the Hockey Fans!!

I think Sundin is the only Leaf with that clause that deserves to stay. Everyone else would probably worth a trade of some value. Who knows what will happen now. Maybe they can get a good deal for McCabe still...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if he loves the city as much as he does he could have waived his clause to help build a future for the team. but thats just my opinon as a non leafs fan! As for McCabe with the salary he's being paid I don't think there are many teams who would be willing to pick him up unless they can get him cheap!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u cant blame sundin for wanting to stay a leaf till he retires

i think mccabe will wave if no trade claus just b/c no one likes him in toronto anymore

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no problem with Sundin not waiving his no-trade clause, he is playing to his pay grade. On the plus for Sundin, his is a great person to mentor the young guys. He has put in his time with the city and team, so if he wants to retire a Leaf that is cool with me. Why should he be the one responsable to fix the problems created by the JFJ and Quinn, they traded away the future of the team. Mats stood by his Leafs and played out the contracts he has signed, he could have asked for a trade in the past when things were going so good.
    2006 Mazda3 Sport GT - Snowflake Pearl White - Luxury Package
    2006 Mazda Tribute GS-V6 - Light Silver Metallic

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WLS ZMZM View Post
    I think if he loves the city as much as he does he could have waived his clause to help build a future for the team. but thats just my opinon as a non leafs fan!
    I understand what you're saying but that never works. If you love something you dedicate yourself to building it. You don't leave because someone tells you "its the right thing to do." If I had a hint that the upper brass at MLG Entertainment knew what they were doing I would have agreed with this. But they don't. And Fletcher is only around for a short term basis so he doesn't have to be around when the shit hits the fan again.

The Leafs have a notorious record of treating their Captains badly. Imagine if the Wings would have treated Stevie Y in the same manner during their lean years.

Sorry, but I don't buy it. I'm actually impressed with Sundin. He's been loyal to the Leafs and he wants to stay that we. He doesn't want to leave and land at a Stanley Cup contending team as a "rental" player. He wouldn't feel wanted after the season ended.I understand this and applaud him.

2006 Copper Red Mazda3 GT Sport

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See I guess not beign a leaf fan doesn't cloud my judgement... I kid I kid The way I look at it, is he could still retire as a leaf, go to the other team, allow the leafs to get a little something since they aren't going to the playoffs this year, then come back in the summer and return to mentor and retire as a leaf. Everybody wins. I really find it kind of selfish to be honest, especially since I don't think he is done especially after the year he had. As for Mccabe the leafs would be so much better without him pylons would perform better and cost a hell of a lot less

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team needs to start over. If Sundin is as valuable as they say his is then sign him up for next year otherwise they should just shut their farking mouths and let him go in the free agency market at the end of the year.

The team needs to start dumping their contracts and start fresh with new draft picks much the same way Chicago did. They are the team of the future with the young talent coming into form.

McCabe, Tucker et all......don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say..I agree... with you they do need to build from within and Pogge isn't the future it was Raask but oh well nice job JFJ!! As for the teams of the future Chicago is getting better but they still need someone between the pipes. In the next few years I say edmonton is gonna be a force to be reckoned with and so will Montreal and Pittsburgh. The only downside to Pittsburgh oh so much talent... and only so much cap space!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

leafs playoff hopes are dead so getting rid of sundin doesn't do anything then insult a captin who has been the least of the teams problems

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree. with most ppl here.

how is being loyal = being selfish

each person carries the game and love of the game a different way.

to sundin, it's be a leaf, die a leaf
    leaving inbetween really means a difference in ones own mind.

it's like telling a husband to leave his wife for 6 months and go have an affair so that his wife can get it on with the young pool boy.

to sundin hockey isin't about BUSINESS... it's about HOCKEY

the problem is that ppl who accuse sundin of being selfish are really simply saying it's okay to be a "whor3" as long as someone gets something back in return

sorry but that's just jaded thinking of this new generation and unfortunately for those ppl sundin is a classy player and that values teamwork, loyalty, and comraederie more than any bum in a bar who have never played professional hockey other than on their xbox's at home.

not a personal offence to you wls or anything. i'm just responding to the overall comments in the media/tsn/fans on the street stuff....
    like if you really value something... you're not just gonna chuck it out the window.

he knows he adds value.. why should he let other ppl treat him like trash just so he can be exploited.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not Sundin's responsibility to fix MLSE's problem. They gave him and 4 others no trade clauses, that's too bad for them. If they didn't foresee this problem happening, then they're f*cking terrible businessmen.

Sundin's been loyal to a fault over his entire career as a Leaf. The team didn't give him anyone to play with of his calibre yet he's remained a point-per-game player and carried the team on his back many a night. Somehow, some people have labelled him selfish for being loyal and what morally makes sense to him.

To me, it's pretty selfish forcing someone to do something they don't want for their own interests and fix a mess that has nothing to do w/ said player(s). If MLSE didn't shoot themselves in the foot and give five players NTCs, the Leafs would've had one eventful Trade Deadline Day and off-season. Because of their stupidity, they have no right to blame anyone but MLSE themselves or setting the team back another 2-4 years.

Sundin's a classy individual who doesn't deserve the negative media attention he's received since the final word came down. I still can't wrap my head around how being loyal is doing the team a disservice. He was in a no-win situation and he's handled the attention and constant media pressure w/ the upmost class. Good for him! Maybe MLSE will finally change their idiotic ways after learning a lesson out of all this.
    2014 Deep Crystal Blue Mazda3 Sport GT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I echo what everyone has been saying here. Good for Sundin to stay. The sad part is, the Leafs are a classless organization by trying to push him out the door for a young prospect and draft pick that won't even pan out anyways (I mean what Leafs draft pick has really panned out in the last 15 years?).

This might piss Sundin off and I can't blame him if he was to sign with another team in the offseason or just retire.

Leafs Management: This is how you reward your captain of 10+ seasons, by insulting him and trying to pimp him out for a few young bodies. This organization doesn't deserve someone like Sundin. I am really disgusted with the Leafs management about this Sundin issue.

Its not up to any player on the Leafs to fix this mess. No one put a gun to JFJ's head and said "Give me a no trade clause or else..."

JFJ is a dumbarse and he should driven out of hockey...
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT|Winning Blue| OG 2.3L @ 450,000 km & counting

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kid_icarus View Post
    i agree. with most ppl here.

how is being loyal = being selfish

each person carries the game and love of the game a different way.

to sundin, it's be a leaf, die a leaf
    leaving inbetween really means a difference in ones own mind.

it's like telling a husband to leave his wife for 6 months and go have an affair so that his wife can get it on with the young pool boy.

to sundin hockey isin't about BUSINESS... it's about HOCKEY

the problem is that ppl who accuse sundin of being selfish are really simply saying it's okay to be a "whor3" as long as someone gets something back in return

sorry but that's just jaded thinking of this new generation and unfortunately for those ppl sundin is a classy player and that values teamwork, loyalty, and comraederie more than any bum in a bar who have never played professional hockey other than on their xbox's at home.

not a personal offence to you wls or anything. i'm just responding to the overall comments in the media/tsn/fans on the street stuff....
    like if you really value something... you're not just gonna chuck it out the window.

he knows he adds value.. why should he let other ppl treat him like trash just so he can be exploited.

No worries buddy.. no offense taken. Hockey is a business... and as much as he wants to claim its about the game its bull especially when hes pulling in a multi million dollar deal. Like really let's be honest here. I agree that MLSE screwed themselves over. The sad part is that I doubt the leafs will be able to sign him since it was a slap in the face. However had they done it a while earlier in the year it might have been a little better.

I don't think being a rental player equates yourself to being a whore. Especially when Sundin deserves at least one good cup run (something the leafs can't provide). The analogy of the husband & wife was interesting but again don't think its appropriate. The fact is had Sundin waive his clause the city would have been all over him for abandoning the leafs so there was no winning for him.

There have been many players who have rented themselves out, they don't earn any more money.. so I fail to see the whole whoring yourself out part. If anything if they are determined to come back to their original team they helped them by getting some value for their play. it's not like Sundin said no outright... the man was thinking it over which tells me a situation to his liking didn't come up! Had it done so he would have been long gone. This just allows him to play out as the hero.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right... but my analogy of husband wife is that
    when you commit to something.. you committ. no offence to those contributing to the increasing divorce rates around the world...

but when you committ on a marriage, you don't jump ship to try and get your jollies up somewhere else just for the short term for the quick experience and/or so that your partner can experience some gratification out of you selling out your values

aka go get a hooker for one night
    and come back the next night as if nothing ever happened

sundin is not like other players, i can't really say much more than that.
    it's really his decision. sure he can go win a cup elsewhere.. but it's nto about just getting in for 20 games and win the cup....
    it's about the whole experience... being a captain is about leading a team.. and going all the way with them...

how much pride would someone like sundin have by jumping ship and getting a short playoff run? nothing....
    if he wins the cup... what memories does he have to go with it? nothing...
    it's not always about the reward.. it's about the hard work and effort that goes into getting there.

whether he chose to or not... no one should really judge him.
    ppl should just respect that he's made a decision and he's done whats best in his mind.

hockey is a business for those upstairs
    not for those on the ice.
    if management can't find a way to tie in the performance of players on the ice with the business... then it's their own fault.

misaligned goals = failure all the time

another issue is that why do ppl expect others to sell their values and dump their values just for the good of the company?

if my company asked me to cheat the pants off of an old lady just cuz it would make us lots of money and i would get a good portion of it.. should i do it?

you might say yes.... you might say no
    obviously the situation is not this BLACK AND WHITE

but the whole point is that no one should force anyone to "throw away their values and what they care about" just for someone else.
    in society nowadays we're always in some sort of constant struggle to try and "appease" everyone else... give in to peer pressure... junk like that....

sundin followed his heart and stuck to his values (which are good-hearted)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems as though alot of the big names are dropping Darly Sutter has now said that Tanguay will not be traded which translates as "Tanguay won't waive his no trade clause". It seems the race for Hossa is gonna be interesting... same can be said for Brad Richards if he waives his NTC

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know, i love the way everyone salivates at the idea of the Leafs loading up w/ high draft picks so they can rebuild. not sure if anyone remembers when the Leafs were sucking bad all those years - in the 80's specifically - drafted high, and drafted shit. or when they owned high draft picks and traded for old, also-ran mules that did jack-nothing in the playoffs.

as for no-trade clauses: if you're part of a union and you fight for benefits, you don't give up those benefits. the same applies to players with no-trade clauses. JFJ's fault, MLSE's fault.
    they gotta live with it till Sundin, Tucker, Kubina, Kaberle & McCabe are bought out or retire..... as Leafs.
    Last edited by REZXPERT; 02-25-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added note

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by REZXPERT View Post
    you know, i love the way everyone salivates at the idea of the Leafs loading up w/ high draft picks so they can rebuild. not sure if anyone remembers when the Leafs were sucking bad all those years - in the 80's specifically - drafted high, and drafted shit. or when they owned high draft picks and traded for old, also-ran mules that did jack-nothing in the playoffs.

as for no-trade clauses: if you're part of a union and you fight for benefits, you don't give up those benefits. the same applies to players with no-trade clauses. JFJ's fault, MLSE's fault.
    they gotta live with it till Sundin, Tucker, Kubina, Kaberle & McCabe are bought out or retire..... as Leafs.
    oh, and for you Leafs fans... check this out. how many 1st round superstars can you spot?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr000038.html

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True enough.. MLSE has really screwed the team as did JFJ... however if the fans were to stop showing up to games and stop supporting the leafs changed might be made. Instead you have suits who continue to go to do business there... until the fans make some kind of statement that impacts the suits.. who run the team nothing will be changed. Even if you don't boycott the games.. boycott the concession stands they'd lose alot of money that way. It's time the leafs clean house.. get rid of everyone.. scouts everything... its time this team got blown up and try to build a contender.. there hasn't been a parade since '67 and unless major changes are made it won't be anytime soon either

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More news for those who are following... Forsberg has re-signed with the Avs! It's getting more and more interesting....

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belak officially gone to Florida for a 5th round draft pick!

Now who are we (Leafs) going to get to fight? Blake?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose someone could pick up Blake and swing him around to hit people.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belak's first game as a Panther is against the Leafs lol. Belak vs. Tucker, that'll be awesome.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
    I suppose someone could pick up Blake and swing him around to hit people.
    lol

It's a shame because I did like Belak but he barely played. This freed up around $650k or or for the team.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Belak too. He's a funny guy. I know he didn't contribute much to the scoresheet, but you still need at least one enforcer on the team to keep opponents in check, don't you? Who's it gonna be now? Tucker?? Sure... he can do it... but he shouldn't have to. He's too good a player and, while scrappy, he's hardly intimidating to the giants he'd be up against.

Maybe they're gonna try and find a new enforcer that can score now and then or something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast